Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2021, 04:54 PM

9,873 posts, read 7,195,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Ooh boy. At least three Yankees have tested positive and their game against the Red Sox has been postponed tonight.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...n-due-covid-19
Interesting - there was some griping by Sox players who felt it wasn't fair that they and the Yankees were the only teams playing today. It was felt they didn't get the same All Star break the other teams did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 06:43 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Interesting - there was some griping by Sox players who felt it wasn't fair that they and the Yankees were the only teams playing today. It was felt they didn't get the same All Star break the other teams did.

Not to stray too far from the subject but when you have two of the biggest rivals who are also historic moneymaking franchises at it, little else matters for an additional day of play. It's all about the $$$$$. That also explains why the MLB was in a rush to fill up stadiums again even when fewer than half the US population has been vaccinated.

Old 07-15-2021, 06:51 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,413,072 times
"Seventy-nine vaccinated residents in Massachusetts died from COVID-19, either without being hospitalized or following a hospital stay "

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...cases/2430578/

"Public health officials have tracked 4,450 "breakthrough" cases of COVID-19 among Massachusetts residents fully vaccinated against the disease, representing about one-tenth of 1% of the roughly 4.2 million people immunized...

Seventy-nine vaccinated residents in Massachusetts died from COVID-19... That death toll reflects 1.78% of the 4,450 confirmed breakthrough cases and 0.0019% of the 4,195,844 people fully vaccinated as of July 10."

It seems that there's been an outbreak of disease among vaccinated people in Provincetown. I wonder what the cause of that is.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:26 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,917,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So, I may not have full understood your posts before, but you're sounding increasingly reasonable to me LOL. Sorry if I misinterpreted.

But, for anyone reading, you've got to do some critical thinking. If the FDA says or does something that the scientific and medical community disagrees with, you'll hear it. Like recently, the FDA did a questionable approval of an Biogen's Alzheimer's drug, Aduhelm for example. Such an event is very rare, by the way, but the questions and the criticisms have been swift, and persistent, and strong, and it's been coming from countless scientists and doctors all over the country, not just an outlier or two. Yes, there *can* be conspiracies, but you're not going to have a conspiracy with millions of scientists and doctors on board - how would keep them all quiet? what could possible motivate them all? If Covid-19 wasn't a big deal, if the death toll was truly greatly exaggerated, if the vaccines were truly unsafe and having poor efficacy - you'd be hearing that from every corner.
I think we are in agreement about vaccines and science and everything, but maybe disagree on what to do about the people who aren't already on the same page.

I certainly trust in the system and in science. As much as I'd like to think that everything I think I know is based on facts and evidence, in reality I don't have to go too deep into my own scientifically-based worldview to find "facts" that I have simply accepted because I read it in a source I trust. I will vehemently disagree with someone who chooses to trust a particular translation of the Bible over, say, Nature or the Physical Review, but I recognize that both of us are relying on a certain amount of faith.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:19 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
I wish we had a little more information about what the risk factors are for severe breakthrough disease. Is it 80-90+ year olds whose immune systems are already diminished? People with conditions like organ transplants that impact immunity (either in of itself or through anti-rejection medication)? Or is it a side effect of the Delta variant?

The risk factor still seems low, but more knowledge would help us better gauge our behaviors, i.e. masking again in stores (if we do not already) or going out to eat indoors.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:12 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I wish we had a little more information about what the risk factors are for severe breakthrough disease. Is it 80-90+ year olds whose immune systems are already diminished?.
If you look at the MA covid stats, the age of death has been trending upwards over the last week or so.

My *guess* is that since the age of those who are passing is creeping up, if any vaccinated folks are included they might have been among the first group to get the vaccine and/or they were compromised in some way.

Again, just a guess but if this is true and the trend continues, i might be an argument for a booster.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:46 PM

16,291 posts, read 8,113,806 times
People at my work are now worried about delta and lambda. I had never heard of lambda until today.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:27 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,045 times
Gulp!

https://www.jpost.com/breaking-news/...-israel-674084

Old 07-17-2021, 07:49 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post

And of course, boosters are totally unnecessary "at this time".

Old 07-17-2021, 07:55 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If you look at the MA covid stats, the age of death has been trending upwards over the last week or so.

My *guess* is that since the age of those who are passing is creeping up, if any vaccinated folks are included they might have been among the first group to get the vaccine and/or they were compromised in some way.

Again, just a guess but if this is true and the trend continues, i might be an argument for a booster.
I can’t find the research paper now, but the overview was those with severe breakthrough infections were considered ‘high risk’; i.e., individuals with compromised immune systems in which the vaccine might have limited efficacy.

There’s been a bit of a localized outbreak of Delta in Provincetown and the general takeaway for the vaccinated has been: don’t panic, the vaccines are working as intended. Vaccinated individuals described minor symptoms and there have been zero hospitalizations.

Those expecting the vaccines to prevent breakthrough infections 100% did review the data or claims.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts