Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2021, 08:11 AM

9,093 posts, read 6,314,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Not sure where you are, but I've been having a sore throat and irritated lungs for the past several days too. Got COVID tested on Sunday (negative), and had a regularly scheduled appointment with my primary care yesterday. I mentioned the sore throat and lungs and he said a lot of people are dealing with same symptoms and the smoke/haze from the wildfires out west (extremely visible the last two days in Boston) is causing them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I believe it. I was in Boulder last week and the haze was quite thick from the ongoing fires in Oregon. The majority who traveled in for the workshop were complaining of irritated eyes, lungs, etc. Most of the attendees were international and had recent negative PCR tests, so it was clear the symptoms were related to the smoke.

My typically expansive southeastern views are reduced to a wall of white today … it’s hazy and I’m doubtful it just the humidity.
I have been having sporadic eye irritation since winter. I never related it to the wildfires out west but it makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 08:16 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Agree 100%. Those who aren't vaccinated aren't asking for the economy to be shut down on their behalf. Vaccinated + children aren't going to die. The unvaccinated are, but that's a choice, so I don't see why we can't just keep everything moving along.
That’s true unless the Darwin Awards people overflow the hospitals and the rest of us are denied urgent medical care. If that happens, I’m all for vaccine passports to turn them into second class citizens. No vaccine passport? Put the mask on and keep it on. No service at the bar or restaurant. For sure, the Provincetown outbreak wasn’t caused by a vaccinated super spreader.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
My typically expansive southeastern views are reduced to a wall of white today … it’s hazy and I’m doubtful it just the humidity.
At the beach yesterday at high tide around 5:30, it was maybe 4 or 5 miles of visibility in the haze. It never occurred to me that it might be smoke. With our summer rain festival this year, that was pretty far from my mind.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:24 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
I heard someone say the haziness here is from wildfires out west.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:26 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That’s true unless the Darwin Awards people overflow the hospitals and the rest of us are denied urgent medical care. If that happens, I’m all for vaccine passports to turn them into second class citizens. No vaccine passport? Put the mask on and keep it on. No service at the bar or restaurant. For sure, the Provincetown outbreak wasn’t caused by a vaccinated super spreader.
If you're too scared to go to the store without an N95 mask, then it seems to me that the more likely problem for you and people who think like you is that the hospital will have plenty of space for you but you'll deny yourself urgent medical care because of fear of nosocomial infection.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:35 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
At the beach yesterday at high tide around 5:30, it was maybe 4 or 5 miles of visibility in the haze. It never occurred to me that it might be smoke. With our summer rain festival this year, that was pretty far from my mind.
Rather than assuming, I looked it up. Yeah, it's not simply humidity.

Old 07-21-2021, 08:40 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
makes for nice sunsets

Old 07-21-2021, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
If you're too scared to go to the store without an N95 mask, then it seems to me that the more likely problem for you and people who think like you is that the hospital will have plenty of space for you but you'll deny yourself urgent medical care because of fear of nosocomial infection.
I find it pathetic that someone equates wearing an N95 mask shopping in a city with a 42% vaccination rate during a pandemic with the recent data on the Delta variant as being “afraid”. Really low cognitive functioning. I can take a trivial step of wearing an N95 mask while shopping and reduce my risk by at least 90%. I wear a seatbelt while driving. I’m not afraid to drive. I wear an inflatable life jacket on the boat. I respect ocean conditions and pay attention to the weather but I’m not afraid to be on my boat. I wear a helmet while I’m skiing. I’m not afraid to ski. Same with a helmet riding my bicycle.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:44 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
I find it pathetic that someone equates wearing an N95 mask shopping in a city with a 42% vaccination rate during a pandemic with the recent data on the Delta variant as being “afraid”. Really low cognitive functioning. I can take a trivial step of wearing an N95 mask while shopping and reduce my risk by at least 90%. I wear a seatbelt while driving. I’m not afraid to drive. I wear an inflatable life jacket on the boat. I respect ocean conditions and pay attention to the weather but I’m not afraid to be on my boat. I wear a helmet while I’m skiing. I’m not afraid to ski. Same with a helmet riding my bicycle.
Yep, you're afraid. That's why you lash out and call me stupid. I don't mind, and I forgive you.

Honestly I think it's more you're afraid of being wrong, and you realizing you're blowing the risk way out of proportion, than anything else.

My point stands about the more salient risk being people choosing to avoid the hospital out of fear of being infected there, as opposed to the fairy tale of arriving at the hospital and then being told that there are too many Covid patients, so we're going to leave you to die.

Old 07-21-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Yep, you're afraid. That's why you lash out and call me stupid. I don't mind, and I forgive you.

Honestly I think it's more you're afraid of being wrong, and you realizing you're blowing the risk way out of proportion, than anything else.

My point stands about the more salient risk being people choosing to avoid the hospital out of fear of being infected there, as opposed to the fairy tale of arriving at the hospital and then being told that there are too many Covid patients, so we're going to leave you to die.
It’s not stupid. It’s total and absolute disdain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts