Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2021, 08:56 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

It feels worrisome that this is happening now and school hasn't even started back up yet. That's about a month away. Not to mention that many college campuses are opening up for the first time this fall. Who knows what's ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 08:59 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
It feels worrisome that this is happening now and school hasn't even started back up yet. That's about a month away. Not to mention that many college campuses are opening up for the first time this fall. Who knows what's ahead.

Right especially compared to where we were last summer.

Old 07-30-2021, 11:29 PM

943 posts, read 410,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Promising study on 3rd booster shot from Pfizer, in its effectiveness against the Delta. 5-fold increase in effectiveness for 18-55 folk, and 11-fold for 65-85. Hopefully they will approve this ASAP and get it out there, especially with them now believing that currently vaccinated infected individuals are just as likely to spread the Delta as non-vaccinated ones (Provincetown cluster).

https://www.wesh.com/article/pfizer-...riant/37165573
We should have data within the US to see if medical workers, who were vaxxed in Dec/early Jan are coming down with covid at increasing rates. Or are docs/nurses already secretly going out to get a third shot? One concern that I might have is that it is very likely we will need periodic boosters, just as for the flu. If we give too many shots of one flavor, are we going to run into antigenic sin and render future boosters targeted at different variants less effective? There is also the thought that if you get the flu shot every year, it's less effective than if you get it every second year (I have not read what would underlie such a response). Any thoughts on that?

Old 07-31-2021, 05:56 AM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YevTK View Post
You are assigning positions to me that I do not have. I have previously stated that cases should not be the metric used to determine action, only hospitalizations. I don't believe lockdowns or mask wearing (except medical facilities) should be done at this time in MA.

I have analyzed infection rates, vaccination rates and hospitalization rates by age and I have reached the conclusion that the maximum number of hospitalized patients will not exceed the previous MA peak and therefore lockdowns and masking should not be necessary in MA. This is only possible due to the willingness of the citizens of MA to be vaccinated, something for which they should be commended.
Ya I was not speaking about you I was just talking in general. Ya all these regulations and lockdowns are not helping. Even if it got bad lockdowns I believe do more harm than good.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:33 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,098,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Ya I was not speaking about you I was just talking in general. Ya all these regulations and lockdowns are not helping. Even if it got bad lockdowns I believe do more harm than good.
There was never a lockdown in the USA. What we did here was a half assed version of a stay at home mandate. No one stayed home. I went to work every single day. Went to stores , the beach , vacation. As did most everyone I know , whether they were family , friends , acquaintances or neighbors. This fallacy that there was a lockdown is ridiculous.

And masking most certainly does help to stop the spread of communicable diseases. I can’t fathom how certain sectors of our population believes otherwise. As a society we live in the Information Age, but yet as a whole seem to be dumber by the minute.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:54 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Some people were definitely more locked down than others. To say no one stayed home is ridiculous. From March 2020 until about late may restaurants were closed, salons were closed, any type of indoor activity was closed. I'm not complaining but to say there was no shutdown is a bit much. There was, at least in MA. Many states did the same. Disneyworld was closed.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:15 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,973,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
There was never a lockdown in the USA. What we did here was a half assed version of a stay at home mandate. No one stayed home. I went to work every single day. Went to stores , the beach , vacation. As did most everyone I know , whether they were family , friends , acquaintances or neighbors. This fallacy that there was a lockdown is ridiculous.

And masking most certainly does help to stop the spread of communicable diseases. I can’t fathom how certain sectors of our population believes otherwise. As a society we live in the Information Age, but yet as a whole seem to be dumber by the minute.
If you "can't fathom" that mass masking might not be effective, I invite you to look at the results from various places where it's been implemented:

https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1421245855185526792
https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1421172315971211265
https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1421143976615186443
https://twitter.com/ianmSC/status/1420826640603512835

Ain't it great to live in the Information Age? We have data at our fingertips on whether mask mandates had any effect on positive PCR tests going up or down. The data clearly says, the mandates had no effect.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Some people were definitely more locked down than others. To say no one stayed home is ridiculous. From March 2020 until about late may restaurants were closed, salons were closed, any type of indoor activity was closed. I'm not complaining but to say there was no shutdown is a bit much. There was, at least in MA. Many states did the same. Disneyworld was closed.
That is correct there was at one point where only the grocery stores were open and I had to drive to new Hampshire to buy shoes. If some don't want to call it it a lockdown at the very minimum call it a shutdown.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:31 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post

The evidence for masks is tenuous at best. I’m not saying masks don’t work, only this idea that it’s obvious they work is short sighted. It’s not obvious. We think they work, have some initial data to support that, and in the absence of more compelling evidence are making the best available choices.

Unlike vaccines, the effect of masks is small enough to be swallowed by lots of other effects. Try looking at infection charts and see where mask mandates start and stop. That doesn’t mean they DONT work, but it does mean it’s not so overwhelming that anyone who isn’t convinced is stupid.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are all trending up in the nation as a whole. Cases were at their minimum about 3 weeks into June, hospitalizations were at their minimum about 4 weeks into June, and deaths were at their minimum about 1.5 weeks into July. That cases start trending up first, then hospitalizations and then deaths makes medical sense - that's the order of events in the disease.

See daily cases and deaths trends here (just flip the dropdown above plot between cases and deaths to change Y-axis)
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...ilytrendscases

See daily hospitalization trends here
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tra...tal-admissions
so cases are up but we should not make decisions on cases only on deaths. I know you are saying that when cases go up deaths go up but I think we should wait for that to happen first.

if this virus is never going anywhere we might accept it like the flu and just live our lives not worried about it with no regulations or restrictions or mandates.

it seems to me even if the vaccines work somewhat we will never fully get rid of covid-19.

i listen to a radio podcast and it was announced we might have these restrictions for 15 years. I will not play along. in fact, I am done with the masks either the stores let me in with no mask or they do my shopping for me. the masks are disgusting with bacteria on them even if you wash them.

does anyone know which stores did curbside pickup for groceries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts