Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2021, 12:24 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Even more safe to say Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey are not models to emulate.

I've made this analogy before, so I apologize if you've heard it already. If you're a fan of an NFL team that goes 1-15, I am very open-minded when it comes to arguments that you're really a 5-11 team -- you had injuries, a couple really bad calls in high-leverage spots, an unfair schedule, whatever. I am very NOT open-minded if you try to argue you're actually a 15-1 team, and everyone should emulate you.

The actual 15-1 team is Vermont. And maybe (if you're not sick of this analogy yet), they're actually an 11-5 team that's had a lot of luck. But that's why I don't get into it with people from Vermont like I do with people from Massachusetts. You guys don't have the results to back up your attitude; they do.

I agree to some of this. But I think it would be more accurate to say that Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey, were not models to emulate IN MARCH OR APRIL OF 2020 when most of those deaths occurred. They were also among the first states hit. I'm not sure if other states would have handled things better, or differently under those circumstances.

Again you seem fixated on this "attitude" thing, which is bizarre considering this is an anonymous forum and many of these posters aren't even from Massachusetts. Don't make me come over to the Ohio forum and start cherry picking the bad apples over there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2021, 12:25 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Then people you know are an anomaly. Data shows that group as having the highest levels of vaccination.
Picking on one state (Kansas), 55-64 have a 58% vaccination rate and ramps up to 80% at age 80. It sounds high, but keep in mind that's still 42% of people 55-64 and 1 in 5 people at age 80 who aren't. Alabama is similar numbers.

That's either an outrageous number of exemptions, or there's still an uncomfortably high number of vax-hesitant/anti-vax among the older population.

Just because they have a higher percentage than the 25-54 crowd doesn't mean they're suddenly all smart about this.

Either way, 20% is hardly an anomaly and it's a threat.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:27 PM

23,569 posts, read 18,672,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Picking on one state (Kansas), 55-64 have a 58% vaccination rate and ramps up to 80% at age 80. It sounds high, but keep in mind that's still 42% of people 55-64 and 1 in 5 people at age 80 who aren't. Alabama is similar numbers.

That's either an outrageous number of exemptions, or there's still an uncomfortably high number of vax-hesitant/anti-vax among the older population.

Just because they have a higher percentage than the 25-54 crowd doesn't mean they're suddenly all smart about this.

Either way, 20% is hardly an anomaly and it's a threat.
But why would you pick on the old retirees in RVs (those least "likely" to spread the virus), and not the 25-54 crowd (who's obviously the biggest problem)?

Old 08-12-2021, 12:29 PM

779 posts, read 876,734 times
Mass is no longer reporting on hospitalizations for kids. Given school starting right around the corner, it would be helpful to see if kids are being hospitalized as cases rise.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coron...d-why/2464814/

Old 08-12-2021, 12:29 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,102 times
Quote:
I agree to some of this. But I think it would be more accurate to say that Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey, were not models to emulate IN MARCH OR APRIL OF 2020 when most of those deaths occurred. They were also among the first states hit. I'm not sure if other states would have handled things better, or differently under those circumstances.

Again you seem fixated on this "attitude" thing, which is bizarre considering this is an anonymous forum and many of these posters aren't even from Massachusetts. Don't make me come over to the Ohio forum and start cherry picking the bad apples over there.
We have some truly awful ones over there. I don't mind if you come help put them in their place. Probably better, though, if I handle that and you handle the handful of clownish ones over here.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:40 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
Default re

Quote:
But why would you pick on the old retirees in RVs (those least "likely" to spread the virus), and not the 25-54 crowd (who's obviously the biggest problem)?
My MIL and her bf live in Arizona, have an RV and I"m fairly certain they are not vaccinated. I can only go by the boyfriends anti mask and anti vaccine posts on FB though....

I'll point out that they really dont go anywhere in the RV though...it was simply a stupid purchase.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:46 PM

it's not my husband...but thanks.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:50 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,318,712 times
Quote:
Because the original comment was that it’s too far to drive here so passports on flights keeps it out. 25-54 don’t usually have the free time to go galavanting cross-country by car but retirees do. The whole context matters.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:52 PM

Obviously a plane is more capable of transporting large groups of unvaccinated people. I feel less worried about old people in RVs...they're the ones that will be dead soon enough anyways

Old 08-12-2021, 01:15 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,087,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
"Riffraff," LOLOLOLOL. A stupid cold virus has turned you into the mirror image of the psychotic Republican suburban empty-nester who berates neighborhood kids for stepping on his grass or playing music in their cars. It's truly breathtaking -- and pitiful -- to witness the transformation. "Riffraff." Good Lord.

If you're deathly afraid of mixing with people from the 47 states that have lower per capita death rates from Covid than Massachusetts, then...at what point do you have to admit to yourself that you're just deathly afraid of mixing with people, period?
Cold virus that's killed 610K+ people? Feel blessed that you obviously don't know anyone that's died from it or suffered a loss. It's folks like you who are literally prolonging the pandemic right now and posing a danger to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts