Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2021, 01:39 PM

12,437 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Trump didn't create the vaccine. Not wanting to take it because he was in office at the time it started getting created is stupid.
Yep, I'm not a Trump fan, but not taking Covid-19 vaccine "to spite Trump" would be a TOTAL bonehead move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 02:27 PM

9,882 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Trump didn't create the vaccine. Not wanting to take it because he was in office at the time it started getting created is stupid.
As noted earlier, the issue was with the White House that would overrule FDA before the election trying to step in and form policy. The FDA submitted a plan to the White House in late September that included a 2 month observation period for participants in clinical trials.

Immediately, Mark Meadows began questioning the recommendation as those two months would push it past election day. He felt the FDA was over influenced by it's longtime career scientists. He was putting politics ahead of science.

Yes the vaccine was developed under the Trump administration and the Warp Speed program made it simpler for the private sector to ramp up research and production very quickly. As someone else said, it's hard to give the man credit but I do for that program.

If the White House forced the FDA to offer emergency use earlier, I might have had some trepidation. But it allowed the scientists to do their work and that gave me more reassurance.

Old 08-30-2021, 02:56 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with masks at all though.

I think it's strictly a left vs right thing. Folks of a conservative mindset do not want to follow any policies perceived to be enacted by left. It's almost like admitting defeat to your "enemy".

Masks and vaccines have been associated with the democratic party and I just don't get it. I had a friend say to me "I need to take this mask off before someone i know thinks i'm a liberal".
It has nothing to do with politics I am a libertarian not a republican. I don't care who tells me to wear a mask o am not doing it . Doing construction or a job that requires it is totally different then being forced to wear one in a bank or grocery store. It's more psychological but nobody Hates mandates more than libertarians.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Social media has empowered the High School C- student who resents anyone else telling them what to do. These people were invisible before the internet. It's totally lost that wearing a mask to lower the transmission rate and getting vaccinated so the hospitals aren't crushed is your civic duty.
I was always a A and B student so that generalization does not work.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Factually incorrect.

Are you trying to make the argument that you are against ALL vaccines? We would literally see millions of more deaths on a global level. I grew up in the 1980's no one I know had Polio or measles or mumps. Do you or do you not understand that you have to be vaccinated for various jobs even before covid? The military and higher education require this. If you work in other countries where other conditions are likely (malaria for example and yellow fever)

Dehumanizing? It's PPE. Have you ever worked in any form of construction, environmental mediation, manufacturing etc. You have to have PPEs to minimize exposure. Should we not use a lead shield during dental x rays? Maybe take off the masks during asbestos removal or lead paint.

You don't have "body autonomy" when there are things that can override your system. Maybe no seat belts and helmets so you can tough out head trauma.

You are not making a logical argument. While you might not fear the virus and I'm not saying you should but you should understand that protecting people that are vulnerable is pretty important. The sheer fact that life expectancy has dropped is evidence of this. We already have hardly any immigration and low birth rate. And your issue is a mask? Seriously? What work have you specifically done that implies as if this isn't needed? Even office based work still has building filtering the air at any moment.

Way back when I was in retail I was involved in two weeks of general assembly of the building. Sure the floor and walls were up but that was it. All of the steel racking, signage, product placement was part of this. It was called steel set for two weeks (employees no longer do this) and then mass receiving for about six weeks. Anyways they brought in a crew that has an odd idea of safety. Supposedly they had someone fall out of a scissor lift and come back a few days later saying he was urinating blood for a few days but ok. It was like we were dealing with a circus. One of my drills actually caught fire. I was drilling in concrete (portland cement) all of a sudden I felt something flick my face. Ok I can be fine with that but not if it hits my eyes. I asked for googles. They acted as if I said some obscure word in French. Years later a manager wanted me to rip pressure treated plywood without any gloves or googles even though it said in our own documents that some of the materials might be the old ones with ACQ. Told him I'm not doing it unless I have PPE's, he backed down.

So you might argue that a 2% fatality rate might not be fear for your life and I get that. But if like that spec of concrete if it took out an eye that's a huge impact on a life. You are not using actual facts, logic, science and reasoning with your responses. Knee jerk dog whistle like reactions based on your "feelings" frankly don't make any sense.
They tried the vaccine passports in France and it was a complete disaster . No one is going out to eat and places of businesses are not enforcing it. It's total authoritarian there . In Australia it's worse its turned into a prison colony. You can only leave your house 1 hour a day to exercise. Truckers are thinking of going on strike to go against the government. If in the united states if all the truckers who delivered food and gas went on strike this country would be brought to it's knees. This goes way beyond the masks. Canada has become authoritarian too. Don't you people look at what other countries are doing? Don't you people know authoritarianism is incremental? For being so educated you people are so blind.

More proof....https://youtu.be/lMUclHuK5aE

No I'm not against all vaccines the old ones are safe but the covid ones are not.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 08-30-2021 at 04:23 PM..

Old 08-30-2021, 03:33 PM

779 posts, read 877,194 times
This article is several days old, but still pinpoints my frustration with lumping those who've had covid infections in as unvaccinated:

https://fortune.com/2021/08/27/covid...er-protection/

"People given both doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine were almost six-fold more likely to contract a delta infection and seven-fold more likely to have symptomatic disease than those who recovered."

Those who've had covid are actually MORE protected than those who are fully vaccinated, but the CDC is severely lacking when "following the science."

Old 08-30-2021, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

Anyway, this argument that masks = control. I don't get it? What exactly is it controlling? Do you really think there is a secret room somewhere where a group of folks are getting their rocks off because they made you put a mask on?
Do you know what is going on in Australia ,Canada and France? All authoritarian. It's not got that bad here but it could... One example here.....

https://youtu.be/lMUclHuK5aE

The judge went against her doctor's orders! By the way that guy leans left politically that has the channel

People that gravitate towards power and political office have a higher rate of being a sociopath or psychopath. Just like people that work with children have a higher rate towards pedophilia. Not all but a higher rate than other professions. Humans can be very predatory and this is not new if you only look at history

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 08-30-2021 at 04:15 PM..

Old 08-30-2021, 03:41 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
As noted earlier, the issue was with the White House that would overrule FDA before the election trying to step in and form policy. The FDA submitted a plan to the White House in late September that included a 2 month observation period for participants in clinical trials.

Immediately, Mark Meadows began questioning the recommendation as those two months would push it past election day. He felt the FDA was over influenced by it's longtime career scientists. He was putting politics ahead of science.

Yes the vaccine was developed under the Trump administration and the Warp Speed program made it simpler for the private sector to ramp up research and production very quickly. As someone else said, it's hard to give the man credit but I do for that program.

If the White House forced the FDA to offer emergency use earlier, I might have had some trepidation. But it allowed the scientists to do their work and that gave me more reassurance.
Pfizer wasn't part of the program.

Old 08-30-2021, 03:43 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
This article is several days old, but still pinpoints my frustration with lumping those who've had covid infections in as unvaccinated:

https://fortune.com/2021/08/27/covid...er-protection/

"People given both doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine were almost six-fold more likely to contract a delta infection and seven-fold more likely to have symptomatic disease than those who recovered."

Those who've had covid are actually MORE protected than those who are fully vaccinated, but the CDC is severely lacking when "following the science."
Posted before, and, missed the point entirely.

Old 08-30-2021, 05:05 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,487 times
I just saw "Another conservative anti-vaccine radio talk show host succumbs to COVID, third in a month".

https://news.yahoo.com/another-conse...132500625.html

Sad to say, if they went to college, it evidently didn't help them. Luckily, we're well-educated around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts