Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2021, 05:44 AM

199 posts, read 67,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I think there are some people at the margins who are still susceptible to change - like those who needed to see full approval, or those who needed to see the larger threat of Delta.

But I think most of the remaining people are just hard-core refusers. Some may be kooks, some may be totally brainwashed by disinformation that's everywhere on social media and cable news, some may do it out of fierce political partisanship. I mean, you see all these people interviewed who have Covid-19 but refuse to believe that's why they're in the hospital because of all the disinformation they've swallowed, or they have a family member who's in the ICU or dead from Covid-19 but they're still more afraid of the vaccine than they are of the disease - these people are 100% unreachable - even with the truth literally staring them in the face in the most grotesque and personal way, they cling to their conspiracy theories, political partisanship and disinformation. And I don't think that's a small number.
According to KFF, "Those who remain unvaccinated include 10% who say they want to “want and see” how the vaccines work for other people before getting vaccinated, 3% who say they will get a vaccine “only if required” to do so for work, school, or other activities (down from 6% in June), and 14% who say they will “definitely not” get the vaccine."

https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covi...tor-july-2021/

The antivaxers lose every day as new vaccinations continue to grow albeit more slowly than I would hope. In the past 10 days, 1.1% of the US population got the first dose (1.3% of the eligibles).

While the 14% hardcore antivaxers are a lost cause, I think it is worth trying to get the 10% over the line as soon as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 08:02 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
This thread is getting quite a bit off track in terms of Covid in Massachusetts.

MA released latest stats pertaining to breakthrough infections here in MA where 66% of the population is now vaccinated.

Of those who are vaccinated (4.6 million), only 25K cases of breakthrough infections and 116 deaths. Of those serious cases and deaths, the cases in MA seem to follow what the CDC has recently claimed that suggests serious breakthrough cases are more prevalent in those over 65 with comorbidities.

This part is more on a national level as i can't find some of the specifics for MA but i image it follows the same trend. Most serious breakthrough cases and deaths are occurring in folks 65 and older, usually with some other health issue like obesity or diabetes. The national stats were 70% of serious breakthrough cases are older than 65 and 87% of break through deaths were over 65.

Average age of vaccinated hospitalization: 74.
Average age of unvaccinated hospitalization: 59.

Old 09-09-2021, 09:15 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
This thread is getting quite a bit off track in terms of Covid in Massachusetts.
I disagree. Nearly everything being discussed affects Massachusetts residents.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:01 AM

4,661 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I think there are some people at the margins who are still susceptible to change - like those who needed to see full approval, or those who needed to see the larger threat of Delta.

But I think most of the remaining people are just hard-core refusers. Some may be kooks, some may be totally brainwashed by disinformation that's everywhere on social media and cable news, some may do it out of fierce political partisanship. I mean, you see all these people interviewed who have Covid-19 but refuse to believe that's why they're in the hospital because of all the disinformation they've swallowed, or they have a family member who's in the ICU or dead from Covid-19 but they're still more afraid of the vaccine than they are of the disease - these people are 100% unreachable - even with the truth literally staring them in the face in the most grotesque and personal way, they stubbornly hold onto their conspiracy theories, political partisanship and disinformation. And I don't think it's a small number - who are that resistant to information.
Some may be in an age group where the infection survival rate is 99.94%, some see Sweden having virtually zero deaths at only 58% fully vaccinated and wonder why things have to be so different here, some may see a pattern where assent to government mandates only seems to beget more mandates, etc.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:39 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Some may be in an age group where the infection survival rate is 99.94%, some see Sweden having virtually zero deaths at only 58% fully vaccinated and wonder why things have to be so different here, some may see a pattern where assent to government mandates only seems to beget more mandates, etc.
I still don't see the logic. Even if you believe all those things, what's the harm in taking the vaccine? Worst case, you've got a day or two of discomfort; best case, you've done your part to get our society back towards normalcy. And government mandates begetting mandates? Do you avoid paying all new taxes on those grounds?

Heck, I've been taking the influenza vaccine since I was 35, despite very very low mortality in that (or even my current) age group.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:01 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Survival isn't the same.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:26 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Sweden having virtually zero deaths at only 58% fully vaccinated
Sweden has a population of 10 million people, 58% vaccinated and a population density of 60 people per square mile. 7 day average is 2 deaths.

Massachusetts is 7 million, 890 people per square mile and 64% vaccinated. 7 day average is 5 deaths.

Those numbers aren't really that far off from each other. MA may have less people and a slightly higher edge in vaccination numbers, but a significantly greater population density.

Old 09-09-2021, 11:29 AM

199 posts, read 67,368 times
Quote:
There are 36 states with a total population of 250M people that have less than 58% fully vaccinated, 14 states with a total population of 77M have 58% or more fully vaccinated (includes MA).

The average hospitalization rate per 100K is double in the 36 less vaccinated states.

If all states were at 58% or above we would be in a much better position.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:37 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Sweden has a population of 10 million people, 58% vaccinated and a population density of 60 people per square mile. 7 day average is 2 deaths.

Massachusetts is 7 million, 890 people per square mile and 64% vaccinated. 7 day average is 5 deaths.

Those numbers aren't really that far off from each other. MA may have less people and a slightly higher edge in vaccination numbers, but a significantly greater population density.

Sweden as real public health, too. If you get sick, people actually use health care. 75% of US health plans are no longer waiving deductibles and co-pays for COVID-19 treatment. I imagine lots of pretty sick people in the US aren't going to the hospital. That's particularly true in many of the red states where a high percentage of the population doesn't have health insurance. Texas is up over 20% uninsured.

Old 09-09-2021, 12:49 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Sweden has had 1,441 deaths per million population. Neighboring Norway, which is a similar society that has implemented more public health measures, has had 151 deaths per million population.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 09-09-2021 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts