Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2021, 08:25 AM

15,780 posts, read 21,287,613 times

Advertisements

Long term effects have always been more frightening to me than dying. Dying is easy - it happens, and then it's over. It has taken me a decade to regain half of my lung capacity since pre-chemo. My mind will never be what it was pre-chemo thanks to the fuzziness and aphasia. For the first year out of treatment, I had to write everything down and also needed handicapped parking because it felt like I was breathing through a straw. Going through that again is something worse than death, to be honest, and yet it's something several previously healthy friends report.

More than a dozen friends have serious long-term impacts from COVID, such as kidney failure, complications from blood clots, serious long-term headaches, and breathing issues. I also know at least 3 people who can still not taste or smell over a year later. Try being a chef who can't taste. I've shared before that I have not been able to get into my pulmonologist because of the flood of long COVID patients he now sees.

Additionally, I work at a university and we have *never* had so many students need housing accommodations, such as needing a 1st floor dorm because they can no longer easily climb to the 2nd floor of pre-ADA buildings.

So when people say that they don't know anyone who has suffered from long COVID, I wonder if they just know you're not the type to tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2021, 08:44 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,711,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I also know at least 3 people who can still not taste or smell over a year later.
I only know one. The partner of a friend of mine. Almost a year later: cannot taste coffee or anything aromatic. Everything is just gross to her. She completely eats by texture and is miserable.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:54 AM

15,593 posts, read 7,609,768 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Long term effects have always been more frightening to me than dying. Dying is easy - it happens, and then it's over. It has taken me a decade to regain half of my lung capacity since pre-chemo. My mind will never be what it was pre-chemo thanks to the fuzziness and aphasia. For the first year out of treatment, I had to write everything down and also needed handicapped parking because it felt like I was breathing through a straw. Going through that again is something worse than death, to be honest, and yet it's something several previously healthy friends report.

More than a dozen friends have serious long-term impacts from COVID, such as kidney failure, complications from blood clots, serious long-term headaches, and breathing issues. I also know at least 3 people who can still not taste or smell over a year later. Try being a chef who can't taste. I've shared before that I have not been able to get into my pulmonologist because of the flood of long COVID patients he now sees.

Additionally, I work at a university and we have *never* had so many students need housing accommodations, such as needing a 1st floor dorm because they can no longer easily climb to the 2nd floor of pre-ADA buildings.

So when people say that they don't know anyone who has suffered from long COVID, I wonder if they just know you're not the type to tell.
So you think people are lying?

Sounds like you know a lot of unfortunate people. Your posts are often about people suffering with medical ailments yourself included. I'm sorry for you but not everyone has them. Some people get sick and recover quickly and move on with no issues.

College students not being able to climb a few flights of stairs sounds pretty pathetic. But sure, it's probably just lasting effects of covid...

Old 10-04-2021, 08:56 AM

779 posts, read 868,165 times
I think there are still a handful of unvaccinated who would be comfortable with the Novavax vaccine. It's unfortunate it's taken so long to come to market. I think those who are still uneasy about long-term data for the new mRNA vaccines would be more comfortable with a traditional protein-based vaccine because of the longer history with that type of vaccine. I am firmly in the camp that people have the freedom to do what they wish with their bodies and don't feel even slightly threatened by the unvaccinated, but do wish there were a vaccine option that (some) of them were comfortable with.

Old 10-04-2021, 08:59 AM

41,940 posts, read 36,711,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
I think there are still a handful of unvaccinated who would be comfortable with the Novavax vaccine. It's unfortunate it's taken so long to come to market. I think those who are still uneasy about long-term data for the new mRNA vaccines would be more comfortable with a traditional protein-based vaccine because of the longer history with that type of vaccine. I am firmly in the camp that people have the freedom to do what they wish with their bodies and don't feel even slightly threatened by the unvaccinated, but do wish there were a vaccine option that (some) of them were comfortable with.
Most will just come up with another excuse, aka "reason".

I mean, that Novavax vaccine won't have long term effect data. Boon. Instant excuse.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:09 AM

12,589 posts, read 21,733,355 times
A Facebook "friend" (we met a handful of times years ago, but we weren't close at all) of mine died from COVID last week after a long hospitalization (family regularly posted updates). Over the summer, he was posting a lot of the "vaccines don't work," "vaccines are killing people," "we shouldn't be requiring people to take a vaccine for a virus with a 0.07% fatality rate" misinformation. Apparently, based on GoFundMe and several posts from friends/loved ones, he also lost a couple of other family members to COVID in recent months. It's really sad. I am a very firm believer that everyone has the right to put themselves at risk for whatever reason they choose. But as has been repeatedly stated here, there's a societal impact to these decisions. And not mentioned as much is the impact to friends and loved ones. He paid a great price for the risk he decided to take, but his family is going to be picking up the pieces for a long time and they had no say in any of it.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:12 AM

A friend of mine said her dr told her not to bother with getting a booster shot because it's Pfizer and she had the moderna vaccine.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:14 AM

779 posts, read 868,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Most will just come up with another excuse, aka "reason".

I mean, that Novavax vaccine won't have long term effect data. Boon. Instant excuse.
I 100% believe that will be the case for many anti-vaxxers. I think that % of the population is a lost cause. But I do think some who are still hesitant would be open to it and it would be nice to have that option for them.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:16 AM

64 posts, read 66,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Hmmm...I'm a bit disturbed because my city of Quincy does not have a mask mandate.

I think Quincy should get with the times, be a bit more progressive...and set a better example! Silly me?

I am in Boston, Cambridge, Somerville and Watertown regularly, and they've all gone back to masks weeks ago. I think Belmont did so even earlier.

Am I simply too hyper, too Karen-like, when it's possibly no big deal anymore to some or most locals nowadays?

Anybody applaud any no mask requirements in stores in your town or all towns at this point?

Would it bother you if your food delivery driver showed up at your door, or even left the order contactless on the porch, without a mask? Give him/her/"they-their" a bad rating and no tip?
I'm in a town with an indoor mask mandate. The vaccination rate of residents ages 12+ is 94%. Our HS is 99% vaccinated. There is 1 active case in the entire school system right now. I fail to see why my town needs a mandate - must be the throngs of tourists from GA or unvaccinated residents of New Bedford cramming our local shops and spreading COVID /s.

Seems to me the towns that least need the mask mandates are the ones that have them - each competing to out-progressive and virtue signal the others. If someone dares to express concern about a mask mandate, they are railed as a COVID-denying, bleach-drinking Trumpster. I think there's a silent majority that got vaccinated, wears masks when appropriate (hospitals/nursing homes/public transit), but is largely ready to resume normal life without masks. And that includes people even with kids too young to be vaccinated - we recognize the risks to them are very low, and even lower in the vaccinated bubble we created for them.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:20 AM

I've noticed some silly rules with masks as well. We had a parent meeting for first communion the other night. About 40 adults were in the room. Masks were optional. Masks were also optional at mass....but then when kids and parents went downstairs for CCD masks were required.

I guess Corona wont get anyone during mass but it will at CCD so put that mask on.

The restaurant rule has always seemed silly - walk in with mask on, take off when sitting. I dont think many restaurants are enforcing masks now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts