U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-04-2020, 07:25 PM
 
8,933 posts, read 8,154,591 times
Reputation: 3175

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Perhaps it's mutated to be more contagious (and/or potent) and that version took some time to get here. People getting sick enough from the Regular Flu to require a ventilator isn't uncommon.

What gets me is the amount of people who tested positive and have no symptoms or only very minor.
The strains that came from Europe may be more lethal.

https://twitter.com/robertlufkinmd/s...80615130615808
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2020, 07:32 PM
 
Location: Camberville
13,970 posts, read 18,867,296 times
Reputation: 24237
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
What is the new contract tracing program that you refer to, or contact tracing?



Partners in Health to lead "first in nation" contact tracing program for Mass: https://www.dotnews.com/2020/partner...g-program-mass





More info on Partners in Health's program: https://www.pih.org/covid-team
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2020, 07:34 PM
 
16,401 posts, read 29,254,136 times
Reputation: 29302
[quote=charolastra00;57760227]Partners in Health to lead "first in nation" contact tracing program for Mass: https://www.dotnews.com/2020/partner...g-program-mass


Thank you, I'll look it up. Have always been impressed with Partners in Health, for sure.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2020, 09:21 PM
 
13,196 posts, read 14,989,995 times
Reputation: 17765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The strains that came from Europe may be more lethal.
]
The mutations are small, and no strain is more deadly than the other.


https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/5080571002


Pretty interesting read

https://nextstrain.org/
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2020, 11:24 PM
 
8,933 posts, read 8,154,591 times
Reputation: 3175
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The mutations are small, and no strain is more deadly than the other.


https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...amp/5080571002


Pretty interesting read

https://nextstrain.org/
Mutations are truly small, but there is some uncertainty whether they are different in terms of symptoms and mortality rate. (The article says "unlikely".)
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2020, 10:51 AM
 
Location: The ghetto
11,327 posts, read 4,355,431 times
Reputation: 11051
Virus fight focused on Massachusetts nursing homes


"At one nursing home in Norwood, 15 patients had died as of Friday afternoon with at least 8 testing positive for COVID-19. In Western Massachusetts, 21 veterans at the Holyoke Soldiers' Home have died. A state investigation is underway to learn what happened there."
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2020, 10:52 AM
 
16,401 posts, read 29,254,136 times
Reputation: 29302
An RN friend's daughter who is a frontline M.D. in the Boston area passes along that she was tending to a dying patient who told her to turn away because he had to cough (while he could barely breathe). This is real, folks, and I know you know that.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2020, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
1,358 posts, read 677,450 times
Reputation: 2109
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Perhaps it's mutated to be more contagious (and/or potent) and that version took some time to get here. People getting sick enough from the Regular Flu to require a ventilator isn't uncommon.

What gets me is the amount of people who tested positive and have no symptoms or only very minor.
Athletes? Politicians? I know of no average citizen who's been tested if they haven't shown symptoms.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2020, 11:25 AM
 
5,452 posts, read 2,362,003 times
Reputation: 8221
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
Athletes? Politicians? I know of no average citizen who's been tested if they haven't shown symptoms.
There is a story in my local paper today of a nursing home where they tested everyone (because they were considering using it for cases) and 1/2 of the residents were positive and had no symptoms.

There are also other countries who do test people without symptoms.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2020, 11:45 AM
 
7,162 posts, read 4,162,284 times
Reputation: 7924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
There is a story in my local paper today of a nursing home where they tested everyone (because they were considering using it for cases) and 1/2 of the residents were positive and had no symptoms.

There are also other countries who do test people without symptoms.
That was in Wilmington - IIRC, 52 out of 90 residents tested postive and all were asymptomatic as of the test date.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top