U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 08:29 AM

8,279 posts, read 10,664,270 times

Advertisements

I'm quite a bit older, and I'm taking this very seriously. And as far as MA opening up, we are quite a ways from doing that, and when that blessed day happens, it'll be done in a very gradual way. I don't think we've hit our peak yet, anyway, as I think both April and May are foregone conclusions..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 08:52 AM

20,479 posts, read 11,980,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I am 40 and I would only be afraid in subways and buses and a little in the grocery store.I would not want to fly in airplane or go on a cruise. I would have no problem going to restaurants . So I am in between the really frightened and could care less. It all depends on the situation.

I practice social distancing but people walk up close to me even when they have a mask. I have not been wearing a mask. I would be interested in getting a n95 but I was told that those masks should be reserved for the doctors and nurses . if everyone could get a n95 mask i think that would help alot.

You wear a mask in public places largely to protect everyone else. If we all do it, it really cuts the transmission rate. It doesn't need to be an N95 mask. A cotton dish towel is enough to trap the virus when you exhale. Personally, I don't understand why stores aren't insisting on it since it protects their employees.

Old 04-15-2020, 08:58 AM

10,281 posts, read 18,382,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You wear a mask in public places largely to protect everyone else. If we all do it, it really cuts the transmission rate. It doesn't need to be an N95 mask. A cotton dish towel is enough to trap the virus when you exhale. Personally, I don't understand why stores aren't insisting on it since it protects their employees.
Around here many have signs on the door that customers aren’t allowed in without a mask/ face covering.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:16 AM

10,281 posts, read 18,382,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Not at pre-COVID highs, but enough to re-open. I don't see a restaurant thinking they can only get 70% of the pre-COVID traffic saying they'll just stay closed rather than adjust to making 70% what they did before. Plus, with how many have adjusted to offering takeout/delivery, they might be able to make back that other 30% via takeout/delivery now.

We didn't need 12 flights a day to ATL or 4 flights a day to LHR, but 4/2 is reasonable and sustainable after restrictions lift. If there's a pool of us screaming at airlines to take our money, they'll find a way to take it.
I agree that restaurants will reopen as soon as they possibly can. Never said they wouldn't. But between the amount of people eating out being much lower (70% I think is generous, but that's still a 30% drop) and the months of zero revenue, we're absolutely going to see restaurants either go out of business pretty soon, or simply make the call to not open. We've already seen a number of restaurants pack it up for good instead of trying to ride it out - Masa in the South End, for example. There are plenty of restaurants that were operating on razor thin margins to begin with, and between the two months downtime and the dip in restaurant goers, they won't be around much longer even if they do reopen soon after they're allowed. The landscape for restaurants in Boston will be significantly changed for a long time.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:17 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,977,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Around here many have signs on the door that customers aren’t allowed in without a mask/ face covering.

Our town finally mandated wearing a mask in public. I keep one in the car and put it on when I have to stop for some sort of interaction.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:37 AM

5,444 posts, read 2,351,189 times
Quote:
Not here. But I finally buckled down and made a crude mask. I mean at this point I might get lynched without something on my face.

Where is the evidence of masks cutting the transmission rate in any serious way? Everything I have read said it is negligible. Like 2% reduction. That is why the CDC originally said not to do it. I am seriously just asking.

I am 48 and not the slightest bit worried because I do believe I already had it in early January (or some earlier version of it).

Old 04-15-2020, 09:41 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,008,056 times
Well apparently you can get it again..

Old 04-15-2020, 09:42 AM

7,158 posts, read 4,156,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Sports are deemed a essential service in florida now. I believe the sport has to be nationially telivised though to qualify. There will be no fans or audience.

The WWE had a live event a couple of days ago with no auidence.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...is/2987675001/
Follow the money:

-DeSantis is a wanna be Trump

- Linda McMahon is a big time Trump financial supporter who was head on the SBA and is now the head of a Trump SuperPac

- She and her husband own WWE which has lost close to 60% of it's value in the past year

- The XFL - owned by the McMahons and the WWE - just filed for bankruptcy

- WWE was close to breaching it's contract with Fox Sports and would not be paid unless something was produced

- DeSantis steps in an proclaims professional sports "essential"

I wonder if any of the entertainers self quarantined for the two weeks suggested by Florida???

Old 04-15-2020, 09:42 AM

1,518 posts, read 495,458 times
Quote:
I agree that restaurants will reopen as soon as they possibly can. Never said they wouldn't. But between the amount of people eating out being much lower (70% I think is generous, but that's still a 30% drop) and the months of zero revenue, we're absolutely going to see restaurants either go out of business pretty soon, or simply make the call to not open. We've already seen a number of restaurants pack it up for good instead of trying to ride it out - Masa in the South End, for example. There are plenty of restaurants that were operating on razor thin margins to begin with, and between the two months downtime and the dip in restaurant goers, they won't be around much longer even if they do reopen soon after they're allowed. The landscape for restaurants in Boston will be significantly changed for a long time.
We're talking about two sides of the same coin I think. I don't expect that nothing would change, but hearing language about it like the world will be permanently altered, never to recover just sounds like personal anxiety talking. Some restaurants will fail, just as they always have, though in this time for reasons not within their control. Others will resume and thrive, and things will be mostly normal, even if it's with different players.

It's almost like people want the world to be pensive and wiser from this.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:43 AM

7,158 posts, read 4,156,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I wonder what will happen with the billion dollar stadium opening in LA this summer in July.
Although Gov. Newsom advised construction activities as non-essential, SoFi Stadium construction is moving right along.

Again - follow the money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts