Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 03:02 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Everything we know about the Wuhan lab that may have unleashed coronavirus

"New evidence has emerged that the coronavirus ravaging the globe may have escaped from a poorly equipped lab in Wuhan, China, where researchers were conducting risky viral disease experiments in the years leading up to the pandemic."
ya people knew that it came from a biolab in January. Dont put two biolabs close to cities. You put those labs in the middle of nowhere like Russia does. I believe one of the labs was only 8 to 10 miles from cities.

It is a man made virus with hiv spikes. Disease experts said this does not look like a natural virus. This virus could of been alot worse because its man made. I would hate to think of one of those really dangerous viruses gets out that kills 98 percent of the people . To me its more scary then any nuclear weapon.

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 04-16-2020 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 03:26 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
Default What is your take on MA being in the top 5 in cases and deaths due to Covid-19?

We are the 15th most populous state in the country, yet as of this posting we rank 3rd in cases and 4th in deaths.

I personally feel Baker has been doing a decent job, so what am I missing? Did our state simply react too slowly? Is the population not taking to stay at home as well as other states? Was it due to maybe Logan being a major hub so people passed through here and brought cases with them?

I can understand New Jersey being 1tth in population and 2nd in cases and deaths to NY simply due to its proximity to NY. California, Texas, Florida - all states with a much higher population are well behind MA. I suppose Texas is so spread out that maybe that lessens the numbers?

What am I missing?

Old 04-16-2020, 03:30 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I think too many suggestions were made when they should have been orders.

Some of this was inevitable like what’s going in Chelsea and similar areas. People living paycheck to paycheck, can’t work from home, can’t just not go to work, live with a lot of people, and sorry but some people just didn’t and still aren’t taking social distancing seriously. Maybe because things weren’t enforced enough? I think the well educated, able to work from home people got it early on. Others not so much. Many people in these low income areas don’t work so what was the excuse for not social distancing.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:42 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Fifteenth most populous but a major number of the people live in the greater Boston area and that's where the cases are mainly located. You really have a crammed in and densely populated area. That's the main problem with NYC too. Add in a major airport and that's why you've got a problem.

The rest of the population is spread out in MA so when they take an average it skews downward. Except for a few towns with nursing homes, the rest of the state is not struggling like the greater Boston area.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:43 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
... Many people in these low income areas don’t work so what was the excuse for not social distancing.
Heavily Hispanic/immigrant areas and towns have a very high rate of COVID precisely because these are people who work- in hospitality, restaurants, delivery, driving, all close-in-person work. Not sure where you get the idea that there are a lot of people in these areas who don't work and then there's the underground economy of personal services (hair braiding, nails) that are very much in too close.

Old 04-16-2020, 03:48 PM

9,094 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
We are the 15th most populous state in the country, yet as of this posting we rank 3rd in cases and 4th in deaths.

I personally feel Baker has been doing a decent job, so what am I missing? Did our state simply react too slowly? Is the population not taking to stay at home as well as other states? Was it due to maybe Logan being a major hub so people passed through here and brought cases with them?

I can understand New Jersey being 1tth in population and 2nd in cases and deaths to NY simply due to its proximity to NY. California, Texas, Florida - all states with a much higher population are well behind MA. I suppose Texas is so spread out that maybe that lessens the numbers?

What am I missing?
International travel and population density are the primary factors that allow pandemics to spread rapidly. Massachusetts has both of those factors ingrained into daily life.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:01 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Heavily Hispanic/immigrant areas and towns have a very high rate of COVID precisely because these are people who work- in hospitality, restaurants, delivery, driving, all close-in-person work. Not sure where you get the idea that there are a lot of people in these areas who don't work and then there's the underground economy of personal services (hair braiding, nails) that are very much in too close.
Did I say that was the case for everyone? No I did not. But don’t be so naive to believe that everyone in those neighborhoods is working.

Old 04-16-2020, 04:03 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Condemnation is too weak, China should be officially ostracized for no less than 50 years ... actions, not words.

Japan is on the right track. They are using stimulus to get their corporations to pull out of China permanently.

Yes!
Folks please seriously consider this before you rush out to Walmart, Target or Amazon with that stimulus check and blow it on unnecessary Chinese made garbage. Give. Support local businesses. Buy AMERICAN.

Last edited by massnative71; 04-16-2020 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-16-2020, 04:15 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Did I say that was the case for everyone? No I did not. But don’t be so naive to believe that everyone in those neighborhoods is working.
I see you have a lot of experience with the people who live and work in low-income neighborhoods. I do, having worked with hospital patients and attendants and housekeepers and drivers who ride the bus and subway to work. I think you are implying that people are on welfare and therefore don't work. And you are the first person to ever call this jaded 67-year-old "naive."

Old 04-16-2020, 04:19 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Hard to know. Were they tested? They could be among the asymptomatic people. Even in the tragedy at the place in Littleton, many of the residents tested were positive with no symptoms. Would you be able to safely manage their appropriate care at your house?
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Happy Birthday to your dad! I feel for your situation and if in your shoes would be inclined to bring them to my house if they test negative and if I had the room and time. However the devil is in the details.
As I noted, everyone at the facility was tested yesterday and we are awaiting results.

I have the space. Dad is pretty much independent. Mom needs more care and I'd need help transferring her for showering and toileting. I also have to keep working and Mom might need entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts