Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2020, 01:39 PM

162 posts, read 102,128 times

Advertisements

ABC NEWS is reporting a second wave beginning in Europe.

https://youtu.be/DsWPXWpJaJQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 01:45 PM

162 posts, read 102,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
There has never been any proof of that. Me thinks they just see their opportunity to inflate the numbers and get more federal funding.
There's zero "proof" of what you're saying. It's a wild conspiracy theory with nothing to back it up.

And what federal funding is tied to at home death numbers?

Old 04-19-2020, 01:53 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
No real urgency to go “back to normal” in terms of work schedule and location anytime soon. We are working well remotely, and those that go in (like myself) appreciate the smaller staff number in the building.

I also know of several people who were surprised to find they earn more in unemployment than they do working. The $600 on top of unemployment doesn’t have a cap it seems. That alone would lessen the urgency to get back to work. I imagine this is true only for a certain level of income though.
Im confused. So what is the $600 on top of? People who were already on unemployment are getting extra unemployment now? That makes no sense.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:00 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
I dont know what federal quarentene laws are I never looked them up. I am for quarentening select people but not shuting down a whole state but maybe in the case for new york.
Well to answer that then, they are actually very limited to those arriving from outside the country and in some cases interstate travel. Under the US Constitution, everything beyond that is delegated to the states. This is a case where the states have an enormous amount of power. So far, I'm not aware of any "forced" quarantine going on in any of the 50 states beyond ordered "self quarantines" for those coming from outside of certain states and those deemed positive for COVID-19.

Quote:
What they did was a one size fits all around the country was wrong. Sure in city areas a lockdown would make more sense where the cases are high versus a very remote area in a state where there is hardly any cases. Some states are hit more then others that is why the plan to open everything up in the country does not open everything up at once and is determined by the number of cases going down to enter the phases.
Huh??? What one-size-fits all approach was ever imposed? Every state has handled it slightly differently. The federal government issues guidance. This lack of centralization has been one thing critics have blamed in allowing this to spiral out of control.

I agree that what goes in New York shouldn't necessarily go for Wyoming. But saying that, I live in a rural area of one of those rural states that hasn't been hit very hard yet. I want to KEEP IT THAT WAY. The main reason the cases are lower here is not only a lack of crowded cities, we also had the advantage of time. Proper controls were put in place BEFORE it was allowed to become an Italy or NYC situation.

Quote:
In terms of religious gatherings it was my understanding that they where prohibited in many states that no number of people where allowed. That you could not even have 10 people because religious gatherings where considered nonessential. I would assume that to be the case with Massechusetts.

I explained that under the bill of rights they can NOT stop religous gatherings because its a freedom of speech right. Unless the speech incites immediate violence it is protected speech.
So we are "assuming" now??? The 10 people rule applies. Nothing at all preventing a church from holding a small service as long as they abide by that. Most churches however realize that's not too feasible for a lot of reasons, and opted instead for online services or small private gatherings. But I think the majority of churches did the responsible thing of canceling services weeks BEFORE any of these orders came into place. Of course there were exceptions like that church in Albany, GA, where like 100 people got infected and made their city one of the most hard hit per capita in the country. But NOBODY'S FREE SPEECH WAS VIOLATED, anywhere that I'm aware of.

Seek out facts man. Go to the source. Seek the truth. Don't fall for this braincell destroying hysteria floating around on social media.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:01 PM

23,565 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Im confused. So what is the $600 on top of? People who were already on unemployment are getting extra unemployment now? That makes no sense.
Yes, and no it does not make sense at all.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:08 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBThescot View Post
There's zero "proof" of what you're saying. It's a wild conspiracy theory with nothing to back it up.

And what federal funding is tied to at home death numbers?
I said "me thinks" -- ie... opinion.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:54 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Yes, and no it does not make sense at all.
That’s maddening. I can’t say I knew anyone who was collecting unemployment before this all happened though. I don’t even know anyone who has lost a job after it happened.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:27 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,412,860 times
Quote:
That’s maddening. I can’t say I knew anyone who was collecting unemployment before this all happened though. I don’t even know anyone who has lost a job after it happened.
All of my clients are small business owners (dentists) and none are working right now. Many have applied for unemployment and if this goes on for very long, they will all be on unemployment. Me too.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:17 PM

I was actually thinking about dentists today. They are open right ? I’m not sure because I was supposed to have a tooth removed on March 25 and the dental practice called me to cancel but they’re on a university campus. I think some dentists are open for emergencies? I can’t imagine most people would want to be going for a 6 month cleaning or teeth whitening procedure at a time like this.

Salons must really be hurting as well. I have a skin check in May but not sure it will be happening. Skin cancer oh well... apparently that’s not as bad as corona.

Old 04-19-2020, 04:19 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,549,884 times
Quote:
I was actually thinking about dentists today. They are open right ? I’m not sure because I was supposed to have a tooth removed on March 25 and the dental practice called me to cancel but they’re on a university campus. I think some dentists are open for emergencies? I can’t imagine most people would want to be going for a 6 month cleaning or teeth whitening procedure at a time like this.
They are open for emergencies. However, I would like to avoid an emergency and they need to open up for me to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts