Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 05:32 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times

Advertisements

The state released a much more detailed analysis of everything

https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download

the major points are as follows

numbers are going down

This is really hitting those 80 years of age and older

the vast majority. I'm talking 95% + had preexisting conditions.

I predict some type of announcement that those 65 to maybe 70 and older just should stay in. I know some might still be working but the numbers clearly show this isn't much once those above the age of 65 are taken out. I've read all sorts of stuff on this but seeing raw numbers is just good. Early retirement plans should be offered and just have them stay home. It's not a age bias it's just what we see out here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 05:49 PM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I predict some type of announcement that those 65 to maybe 70 and older just should stay in. I know some might still be working but the numbers clearly show this isn't much once those above the age of 65 are taken out. I've read all sorts of stuff on this but seeing raw numbers is just good. Early retirement plans should be offered and just have them stay home. It's not a age bias it's just what we see out here.
Completely agree. I think some sort of reasonable age based compromised has to be done. People don't even need to retire. There is nothing that can't be done by e-mail, zoom, or phone.

Old 04-20-2020, 05:53 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
There is nothing that can't be done by e-mail, zoom, or phone.
If you truly believe this, you need to expand your perspective.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:04 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
If you truly believe this, you need to expand your perspective.
obviously anything that physically requires you to do something (medical, dental, mechanic etc) you have to be there. But if we are talking about just data then it's different.

Now having said this I don't know anything about mutations or what a second wave would look like. If the numbers of the demographics dip lower say to 55 and older then we have longer problems. Maybe other states and countries could be different as well. To note Vermont has some school districts now moving to allow early retirement of teachers after 15 years of teaching (down from 20). Is the AARP going to fight some of this? I don't know. I would not feel comfortable having large amounts of elderly people in any capacity. Nursing home, assisted living, town hall meeting etc.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:09 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,360 times
I don’t think this will be as simple as saying only people over 65 stay home. From the beginning of this in China and Italy it was easy to see that this was mostly affecting older people. It still didn’t stop the spread to younger people who didn’t have underlying health issues. If it only was affecting older people why shut down colleges and elementary schools? Maybe 6 months from now this type of message can be said but it’s not happening on may 4th.

There’s also this. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wcv...-says/32215451

Last edited by Bridge781; 04-20-2020 at 06:11 PM.. Reason: J

Old 04-20-2020, 06:13 PM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
... If it only was affecting older people why shut down colleges and elementary schools? Maybe 6 months from now this type of message can be said but it’s not happening on may 4th.

There’s also this. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wcv...-says/32215451
Besides what you posted, that people under 65 certainly get sick and die, there's the issue of asymptomatic transmission- that younger kids or people in school can certainly be carriers to each other, to the school staff and then on to home. Without question.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:18 PM

7,237 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Besides what you posted, that people under 65 certainly get sick and die, there's the issue of asymptomatic transmission- that younger kids or people in school can certainly be carriers to each other, to the school staff and then on to home. Without question.
Everyone forgets that the original need to shut down was to "flatten the curve" -- not to "insure" that no one died. That is a goal that is too expensive for the country and the world. Also there is no evidence that staying home has done anything at all. Pure conjecture.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:35 PM

23,548 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
EAlso there is no evidence that staying home has done anything at all. Pure conjecture.
That is ridiculous.

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...must-continue/
"Evidence from other nations

South Korea and Italy are two of the nations with some of the greatest numbers of cases. These countries show how two completely different approaches to addressing the pandemic in its early stages can dramatically change the spread of the disease"

"Kentucky vs. Tennessee

The consistent difference in approach from the states has resulted in measurable difference in transmissions."

"The Bay Area implemented the most robust of the social distancing measures—a stay-at-home order—days before the rest of the state. While it is still early, recent data show that cases in the Bay Area are now growing more slowly than those in the rest of the state. As county and city leadership in the Bay Area was several steps ahead of the rest of the state for early measures, that swift action may be flattening the curve ahead of the rest of the state."

Old 04-20-2020, 06:36 PM

17,715 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
The problem in reopening anything is that once something opens you're going to see a flood of people go to that as "it's open".

I'm sorry but there is something I won't go back to especially if it's packed for months. There's no way I'm going to go into a movie theater with dozens of people in it watching the same screen. There's no way I'm going to a music concert if there is hundreds of people, especially if it's not outdoors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
In have no idea when they will open things like movie theaters and malls. You can bet I won’t there anytime soon even when they do open. I really don’t know who would be there other than teens who aren’t watched by their parents maybe?
I have no plans to change anything until there's a safe, working vaccine. IMO, reopening at this point is a huge mistake...and will be a disaster.

Old 04-20-2020, 06:51 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,360 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I have no plans to change anything until there's a safe, working vaccine. IMO, reopening at this point is a huge mistake...and will be a disaster.
I think there’s a great divide. People who want the shutdown/social distancing to continue and people who just want things to be how they were before all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts