Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2020, 05:40 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
What exactly does this mean
Coming from me, absolutely nothing because I can’t predict the future.

the model has changed so many times in the last month. Now it’s edged higher in deaths and the curve has been pushed out so it claims we won’t enter phase 1 til the end of June

My own observation is that the number of daily cases in MA isn’t significantly dropping off. It’s slow to drop. Hospitalizations are decreasing, but there are still a good number of cases stacking up.

Of course MA is also one of the leading states in testing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2020, 05:55 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I wore an n95 today because I had to go into a building to sign something. It was very quick and I have to say the mask was very uncomfortable. Not as uncomfortable as coronavirus I’m sure but damn I can’t imagine wearing them often especially when it’s hot out. The notary in the building wasn’t wearing any sort of mask. I also had on gloves and I really felt nuts. I guess this is the new normal.

Old 04-28-2020, 05:58 PM

23,561 posts, read 18,700,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Coming from me, absolutely nothing because I can’t predict the future.

the model has changed so many times in the last month. Now it’s edged higher in deaths and the curve has been pushed out so it claims we won’t enter phase 1 til the end of June

My own observation is that the number of daily cases in MA isn’t significantly dropping off. It’s slow to drop. Hospitalizations are decreasing, but there are still a good number of cases stacking up.

Of course MA is also one of the leading states in testing.

Well the number tested increased as well, so between that and fewer hospitalizations that's at least one good sign in my eyes.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:19 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
I wore an n95 today because I had to go into a building to sign something. It was very quick and I have to say the mask was very uncomfortable. Not as uncomfortable as coronavirus I’m sure but damn I can’t imagine wearing them often especially when it’s hot out. The notary in the building wasn’t wearing any sort of mask. I also had on gloves and I really felt nuts. I guess this is the new normal.
It's funny you say that, because it was exactly my experience. I had to spend several hours at my workplace last Saturday, and before leaving the house, promised my wife that I would wear the N95 mask. When I got there and donned the mask, I found myself getting tired and struggling to breathe with just normal movements and walking around. So I switched to a lightweight surgical mask, which I found I could keep wearing indefinitely.

So now I reserve the N95 for supermarket trips only (down to 1x every 2 weeks for me), where there's lots more people around.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:19 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Quote:
The notary should have been wearing a mask. Good on ya for doing so. When I wear one around town, I don't feel weird anymore, I feel informed. I wear non-medical masks with at least two layers and a filter. I don't wear gloves and wash my hands or sanitize after being out. Just my own assessment of risk and intervention after years of education and work in infectious disease.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:32 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
The notary should have been wearing a mask. Good on ya for doing so. When I wear one around town, I don't feel weird anymore, I feel informed. I wear non-medical masks with at least two layers and a filter. I don't wear gloves and wash my hands or sanitize after being out. Just my own assessment of risk and intervention after years of education and work in infectious disease.
Yeah I’ve had a few experiences over the past 2 months or so where I wouldn’t shake people’s hands who tried to shake mine. I felt awful but was also like um hello! People forget. But yes very surprised that the notary didn’t have on mask. She is obviously in there for some time sharing the building space with others. The building was in Braintree which has had a decent amount of cases. As of Monday, 573 residents have tested positive for the virus with 61 fatalities.

I will have to find a lighter mask than the n95 I think.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:45 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times
Quote:
Someone got into a car accident with the 9n5 mask because your not supposed to wear it too long. I will love the day when not ONE person has to wear a mask. I hate all masks. The black masks look like al queda would wear right before they chop someones head off. I saw in georgia restaurants opened up and watched a video on it . I know the workers have to protect themselves but when you go to a restaurant you want to have a relaxed atmosphere and the servers where wearing masks and some of them the black masks that remind me of al qaeda.

Restuarants wont have the same feeling until all restrictions are gone and this virus is gone. I dont think id be in a rush to go to a restaurant. Also I know someone in the restuarant buisness and they have to use all their seating to make a profit. if they can only use half of the seats they will not survive.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:07 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Someone got into a car accident with the 9n5 mask because your not supposed to wear it too long..
I read the articles on that and don’t buy it. One would have to take very shallow breaths for hours to never exhale through the mask. Average volume of an n95 is about 100-150ml. Average relaxed human breath is 300-500ml of air. By that logic there needs to be gas exchange. It’s not difficult to breathe through it at all and anyone who’s done construction work with safety glasses will tell you that you are constantly fogging your glasses up with your breath.

Did the person pass out? Probably so. But people do pass out behind the wheel from time to time. Only reason this time is newsworthy is because they just happened to have an n95 mask on when they did it. I’ve worn those masks for hours and don’t see this happening to a healthy young adult with normal lung capacity.

Was this person a tiny, frail old woman with underlying respiratory issues to begin with? If so...then I might go out on a limb and say plausible but need more data

Last edited by BostonMike7; 04-28-2020 at 07:38 PM..

Old 04-28-2020, 07:13 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Just to note notaries are remote now. I have one although my insurance lapsed. I much rather prefer it to be online then in person.
https://www.masslive.com/coronavirus...ferencing.html

Old 04-28-2020, 07:44 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,548,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I read the articles on that and don’t buy it. One would have to take very shallow breaths for hours to never exhale through the mask. Average volume of an n95 is about 100-150ml. Average relaxed human breath is 300-500ml of air. By that logic there needs to be gas exchange. It’s not difficult to breathe through it at all and anyone who’s done construction work with safety glasses will tell you that you are constantly fogging your glasses up with your breath.

Did the person pass out? Probably so. But people do pass out behind the wheel from time to time. Only reason this time is newsworthy is because they just happened to have an n95 mask on when they did it. I’ve worn those masks for hours and don’t see this happening to a healthy young adult with normal lung capacity.

Was this person a tiny, frail old woman with underlying respiratory issues to begin with? If so...then I might go out on a limb and say plausible but need more data
They said the person could of had health problems they did not know about. The CDC says they do not recomend any wearing of masks while driving. they where taking in carbon dioxide. The person was not found to be under the influence of drugs either.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/driver-cra...ry?id=70346532

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention does not recommend wearing face coverings while driving, especially, if you're alone in the car. The CDC also does not recommend wearing surgical masks or N-95 respirators as "those are critical supplies that must continue to be reserved for healthcare workers and other medical first responders."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts