Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2020, 11:55 AM

49 posts, read 38,581 times

Advertisements

As of latest report 0.01% of the population of Massachusetts has now had a confirmed case of COVID.

Unconfirmed cases possibly higher. All Massachusetts "non-essential" businesses closed till 18th.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 12:10 PM

23,542 posts, read 18,693,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmCoastLocal View Post
As of latest report 0.01% of the population of Massachusetts has now had a confirmed case of COVID.

Unconfirmed cases possibly higher. All Massachusetts "non-essential" businesses closed till 18th.
You mean 1% of the population.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:17 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Youtube gets funding from the goverment...
I'd like to see a citation proving this.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:29 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
As someone whose positions are heavy in tech stocks, I'll offer my two cents on that sector.

A fall from tech's pedestal back to earth isn't going to happen. Not only despite the pandemic, but in some ways because of it. The cloud, telecommunications, e-services (in turn feeding back to the cloud), and the like are all largely impervious to quarantines and shutdowns. The working from home and business continuity that is happening today is because of tech's infrastructure. Many of these companies also work largely outside of consumer circles. For instance, anyone who thinks of AMZN as a retail giant only is completely missing the enterprise powerhouse they are in AWS. The average unemployed Joe probably has little to no knowledge what AWS really even is, despite the fact that they use and interact with it multiple times every single day. We've already seen from GOOG and MSFT earnings the explosive growth in the cloud. Other tech companies like chipmakers and software produce for or leverage the cloud and continue to operate because of it.

I can see some small cap and niche players in tech coming back to earth, but the big boys in the S&P will not lose 40 or even 30% from their current state this year, or next. If MSFT fell to $140, I'd be all over more of it so fast...but so would a lot of others. Even in the late March lows, it didn't stay below $150 for long. AMZN's more or less been immune, and GOOG's brief stint below $1100 has all but vanished.

I agree that those who bought in on a BA or DAL (or, in my case, both) are doing it for the long-term return. I'm quite comfortable both will make some form of comeback, and certainly to levels higher than they're trading today.
We're largely in agreement on this front. I maintain some long positions on MSFT due to their AWS expansion. I'd own more AMZN too, but I've been focusing on stocks which I can sell covered against ... that rules out AMZN given my current capital.

I do think the likes of Apple and Facebook could see significant downward pressure if consumer demand dwindles, which will impact major indexes and potentially drag down others with 'em. Even GOOG is somewhat exposed to consumer demand given their ad revenue (a significant portion), though they obviously have other streams and areas of growth. APPL, GOOGL (GOOG), and FB maintain a high percentage of the SP500's movement. I'll spare this sub my rants on borderline meme stocks like TSLA and SHOP.

Old 04-30-2020, 12:32 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Spoiler: he can't

Old 04-30-2020, 12:45 PM

9,877 posts, read 7,207,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Thanks for the reminder, dad.

To some degree, equity markets are supposed to price in current and future economic data. Currently, the equity markets are particularly detached from economic realities.

The Russell index and HYG index maintain a loose correlation, so when the Fed injects itself into bond markets it causes a very direct ‘pop’ on the Russell and, to a lesser degree the larger cap indexes. Add ridiculous pumps on severely overstated Gilead “trials” and now, even Wall St. pundits, are asking traders to slow their roll.
You're welcome kid - now get off my lawn.....

Old 04-30-2020, 12:56 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,875,920 times
Unconfirmed cases are certainly - no doubt about it - absolutely - higher. With 3400 dead, and an estimated death rate of something between 0.1% and 0.5% - you have 70,000 sick - 1% - 18 days ago (average time to die, CDC).

Now you've got lots and lots more.

Good news though - more than 80% of that 70K is over it now. All the people who are sick today got sick SINCE the "stay at home."

Or put another way - nearly everyone that dies in MA today - some 500 people in the last three days - got sick SINCE the stay at home. If they're not a health care worker, and they didn't take a long time to die (>18 days) - then they got sick either fetching groceries or going to home depot or seeing their kids. And they got sick FROM someone who did not know they were sick - yet was ALSO not keeping six feet away and was not wearing a mask. This does not describe - every - single - scenario - but some of those 500 people were (literally) killed by someone who could not follow directions. Think about that next time you're out for a latte.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:30 PM

3,393 posts, read 1,547,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Besides Intel, Google is the top tech company that receives government subsidies, picking up more than $630 million from states like Oregon, North Carolina and a few others. What does a multi-billion dollar company that controls the majority of the world’s Internet need with more than $630 million in government subsidies, you ask? Well, you know, for things like property taxes and training reimbursements. What, do you all think that money just grows on trees?! Also, don’t even think about googling "Google government subsidies" because THEY WILL KNOW ABOUT IT. taken from the source below.

Source https://www.mic.com/articles/85101/1...from-taxpayers

if you dont like that one i can find many more. recieving subsidies is receiving money from the goverment.

Google owns youtube. Youtube does not have any real competition. bitchute while it exists does not even get 1 percent of the traffic and viewers that youtube gets. IF i remember correctly there was a time at & t and bell where the only choices for phone companies years ago. IF There are only two companies then it could still break anti trust laws but I am no expert in this.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:38 PM

3,393 posts, read 1,547,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Spoiler: he can't

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...nefit-unclear/

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/18/63024...ntitrust-rules

Old 04-30-2020, 01:41 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Besides Intel, Google is the top tech company that receives government subsidies, picking up more than $630 million from states like Oregon, North Carolina and a few others. What does a multi-billion dollar company that controls the majority of the world’s Internet need with more than $630 million in government subsidies, you ask? Well, you know, for things like property taxes and training reimbursements. What, do you all think that money just grows on trees?! Also, don’t even think about googling "Google government subsidies" because THEY WILL KNOW ABOUT IT. taken from the source below.

Source https://www.mic.com/articles/85101/1...from-taxpayers

if you dont like that one i can find many more. recieving subsidies is receiving money from the goverment.

Google owns youtube. Youtube does not have any real competition. bitchute while it exists does not even get 1 percent of the traffic and viewers that youtube gets. IF i remember correctly there was a time at & t and bell where the only choices for phone companies years ago. IF There are only two companies then it could still break anti trust laws but I am no expert in this.
What does a multi-billion dollar company need with subsidies? Nothing, but the states offer them as incentives to set up shop in their state, attracting employees who will then make lots of money, buy up real estate, and live in their communities. If you don't like the term subsidy, use bribery if you like. If enough people don't like their state subsidizing those companies, a la Amazon's HQ2 effort, it's fine - just don't expect them to send new jobs that state's way.

This isn't some conspiracy that's covered up. This is the world of business, and this is nothing new. Even the illustrious Thornton Mellon knew this in Back to School.

It's a good thing for you there wasn't any hoarding of tin foil during the pandemic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts