Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2020, 10:31 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
The thing is, they probably have to make investments now if these events are going to happen. Organizers have probably looked at the data and decided that the odds don't look good so, they're cutting bait before they sink too much money into something that has a big risk of not actually happening. At least, I assume that's why these things are being canceled this far out.
That's exactly what's happening with events further out. I realize that it's not fun conspiracy theory fodder, but it's the reality. I'm involved with the planning of several large events at work, and one as a volunteer. Most have been canceled. The March, April, and early May events that we've canceled were largely due to the distancing requirements and state protocols. We lost a lot of money in many cases (as did most of the contractors and vendors) since we had finalized contracts and submitted payments months in advance.

Many events for July and August are preemptively canceling now to avoid the risk of committing money to an event with this much uncertainty around whether or not it will even be possible to hold it. We just canceled a mid-July conference because we were approaching the deadline for some of the contracts. We didn't want to invest a hefty sum of non-refundable money unless we were certain we'd be able to hold it. We have no idea where we'll be in terms of this virus and the subsequent restrictions in mid-July, so it doesn't make a ton of sense to commit time, money, and energy to planning something we're not sure we can even host. My old home town canceled the 4th of July fireworks. And while the crowds were part of the concern, the reason for canceling NOW was the fact that they needed to pay the display company up front (like now), or risk losing them to another community and not being able to find someone else in time. The luxury of "wait and see" doesn't exist if you're not comfortable with the potential of losing tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 11:15 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Our last event for the year, a mid-July wedding, has been officially cancelled due to the venue closing.

That was the last of our planned trips. It is officially the "Year of the Yard" for us.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:19 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,120 times
Yikes. We had a wedding scheduled for May 15th that was moved to the end of July down the cape. I really don’t know if it will end up happening or if we should even go. It’s a good friend if my husbands.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:23 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,120 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
Bridge, how is the WFH/remote learning (if you are participating--I know your kids are young) going for you? I know you were struggling, but have you found any solution that might help?
Thanks for asking! Since the governor announced school closings for the year the teachers are now doing more zoom classes for kindergarten. My son had been going everyday but the zooms were just twice a week which seemed kind of ridiculous. At least there will be more now.

We are managing as best we can. I had a call with a co worker the other day who told me my kids ages are probably the worst to be dealing with during this time since they need constant interaction. I was like yep.

How are you doing?

Old 05-01-2020, 12:19 PM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
"Gov. Charlie Baker signed an order Friday requiring Massachusetts residents to wear masks in public.

The order takes effect on May 6 and requires residents to use a face covering in public places when they cannot socially distance. This applies to all workers and customers of businesses and other organizations opened to the public, including grocery and retail stores and public transportation."

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...ass-4/2116974/

Old 05-01-2020, 12:36 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,538,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
"Gov. Charlie Baker signed an order Friday requiring Massachusetts residents to wear masks in public.

The order takes effect on May 6 and requires residents to use a face covering in public places when they cannot socially distance. This applies to all workers and customers of businesses and other organizations opened to the public, including grocery and retail stores and public transportation."

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...ass-4/2116974/
what about outside? do you need to wear a mask outside too? I see a very small percentage at grocery stores not wearing a mask. tommorrow I want to sit at picnic table and eat lunch will i be harrased by the police?

Old 05-01-2020, 12:57 PM

875 posts, read 662,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
what about outside? do you need to wear a mask outside too? I see a very small percentage at grocery stores not wearing a mask. tommorrow I want to sit at picnic table and eat lunch will i be harrased by the police?
You can sit at a picnic table, however, you must first puree your food and then consume it through a straw ....... or else be prepared for the red dot on your upper torso.

I think you already know the answer to your question .... "when they cannot socially distance."

Old 05-01-2020, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
You can sit at a picnic table, however, you must first puree your food and then consume it through a straw ....... or else be prepared for the red dot on your upper torso.

I think you already know the answer to your question .... "when they cannot socially distance."
well in some states you can go to the beach but you cant stay in one place. Ya it looks like only when you can not distance. you can go maskless in a open field.

so its not a ridiculous question. I read that if you have a medical condition where you cant wear a mask you dont have to and the person does NOT need to provide documentation.

If I am outside and a cop bothers me about not wearing a mask I will lie and tell him i have gas mask phobia . There will be physical altercations from this and someone might get shot.

what do you guys think? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07WHN3556...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

This one might be better........... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H2P2W48...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Last edited by justyouraveragetenant; 05-01-2020 at 01:25 PM..

Old 05-01-2020, 01:37 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
You worry too much.

Just go with this mask and you'll be fine
https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/w...996af__700.jpg

Old 05-01-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
You worry too much.

Just go with this mask and you'll be fine
https://static.boredpanda.com/blog/w...996af__700.jpg
I think thats garlic on his mask. he wants to keep vampires away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts