U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 12:16 PM

16,405 posts, read 29,257,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
... As I mentioned letting WFH get popular would be devastating to Boston long term.
Not sure why you think that. Commercial and residential rates are absurdly high. Boston could use a little coming down, and fewer people on public transport or in cars would ease some of the transport mess there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 12:20 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,009,135 times
Right a workplace can still have a head quarters in Boston and allow people to wfh. Many already did that. And I’m sure they’re glad they did given the circumstances now.

I’ve always had a job where I could work from home once or twice a week. People on this board seem very anti wfh for some reason

Old 05-02-2020, 12:25 PM

1,290 posts, read 633,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Not sure why you think that. Commercial and residential rates are absurdly high. Boston could use a little coming down, and fewer people on public transport or in cars would ease some of the transport mess there.
Kinda explained it earlier. WFH doesn't work for junior employees, and the whole point of being in Boston is to hire cheap college graduates.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:44 PM

5,961 posts, read 4,172,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
People on this board seem very anti wfh for some reason
The people who frequent City Data are mostly older. Older people were subjected to the butts-in-the-seats style of management which was the only way to work before the internet and wireless technology became ubiquitous. In some cases they want to force the younger generations to endure what they had to endure and in other cases they are just slow to adapt to new ways of getting things done.

Once the baby boomers are gone, I believe society will jump the last few hurdles and we will official change from the residual of the industrial revolution into the technological revolution. Right now it is only traditions and customs (baby boomer preferences) that hold us back from finalizing the transition to the technological revolution.

Old 05-02-2020, 12:56 PM

I’m 41 so I’m not particularly young. I have felt strongly that wfh is the answer for Boston’s awful traffic/transit situation. Now this situation seems to make that even more pronounced but it’s frustrating to see the butt in chair in office from so many here. People will be using the train even less so traffic will be worse. You can count on that.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:07 PM

16,405 posts, read 29,257,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Kinda explained it earlier. WFH doesn't work for junior employees, and the whole point of being in Boston is to hire cheap college graduates.
In all businesses? I doubt technology companies are getting away cheap with recent grads. How many recent grads can afford to live nearby?

The recent grads I knew who worked in healthcare around Boston (my former life) were largely living in family housing- like triple-decker houses in working-class neighborhoods, or living with their parents in suburb comfort, as they did in college.

Not trying to argue- just not so sure that having more WFH would hurt Boston as a whole. If companies want "cheap" college grads, maybe they'll have to pay them.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:35 PM

5,458 posts, read 2,366,670 times
Quote:
I’ve always had a job where I could work from home once or twice a week. People on this board seem very anti wfh for some reason
I actually have a job that is not thought of as something that can be done from home. But, we made it happen, and I suspect, going forward it will become a way of life.

I can't see how they could possibly refuse our requests to work from home (where appropriate) when, in their time of need, we made it happen so that operations continued without missing a beat. The people in charge where I work are all over 60, many in their 80s, so the younger generation really made it possible for them to continue on. It would have been a lot better for us if we just shrugged out shoulders and got a 2 month vacation.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:39 PM

At this point I don’t think they can refuse anyone the right to work from home.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:06 PM

1,813 posts, read 1,763,574 times
Quote:
I’m 41 so I’m not particularly young. I have felt strongly that wfh is the answer for Boston’s awful traffic/transit situation. Now this situation seems to make that even more pronounced but it’s frustrating to see the butt in chair in office from so many here. People will be using the train even less so traffic will be worse. You can count on that.
Been reading this, and it is a two edged sword. Less traffic maybe, but also less revenue for mass transit, empty workspace downtown, less parking revenue, more places to eat going under downtown, and cities like Boston getting slammed. I don't think boomers are discouraging less than 100% telework, but you have to realize that facetime in the office is valuable, and so is a sense of work environment, unless you are a hermit or recluse.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:16 PM

5,458 posts, read 2,366,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
unless you are a hermit or recluse.
And what is wrong with that?

I disagree. I can't tell you how much work related bull has been cut back since working from home. Not only the time taken up with chatty co workers but the needless phone calls and general waste of time.

And I think most people wouldn't demand it daily but perhaps 2 days or so a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts