Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 04:15 PM

3,117 posts, read 1,387,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I've been to Japan 4 times between 2012 and October 2019. I was there during Typhoon Hagibis last fall and actually got to experience what a stay at home order looks like over there, and see how people responded. It's certainly not the same as a months-long lock down, but the level of compliance blew me away. Especially considering that the Typhoon itself in Central Toyko was little more than what we'd call a typical rainy/windy day (it was deadly and disastrous along some of the waterways on the outskirts, and in the mountains). There was nobody in streets. Not a soul. And the situation at stores was orderly and relatively stress free. No hoarding.

But I would argue one of the bigger differences (apart from health - Japan is far healthier) is that Japan is, frankly, a hell of a lot cleaner than the U.S. And it's especially cleaner than China. You almost never see litter outdoors, you will never see garbage cans overflowing, train stations (and the trains themselves) are cleaned constantly throughout the day by teams of workers who clearly take pride in their work. Businesses are also cleaned regularly. Restaurant and bar surfaces are meticulously cleaned, and crowds are different. There are plenty crowded bars in Japan, but they are largely far smaller than the average bar in Boston, and nothing even close to the size of the bigger sports bars and clubs you'll find all over the country here. Many bars and restaurants in Japan have fewer than 10 seats. A "crowded" bar may only have 10-15 people. So even if an infected person went into that bar and infected everyone, it doesn't have same impact that an infected person going into standing room only bar with 100 people.

Finally,personal hygiene habits are just better in Japan. It's been mentioned that masks are far more common, but that's just the tip of the iceberg. People largely keep their mouths covered and shut in public. No boisterous laughing, and many people cover their mouths when they smile (mostly women). There's far more effort to not sneeze, cough, or even sniffle in confined public spaces (like trains). Hand washing is done far more frequently over there. Many restaurants have packaged towelettes at the table, or come around with towels for hand washing pre and post meal. Toilets? The bidet is king, so hands are less likely to come in contact with other bodily fluids throughout the course of "business." It's just all-round cleaner.

How many people smoke in Japan? I heard even though they are healthier then Americans that a lot of them smoke. Did you see a lot of smoking? Ya I went to Canada and it was way cleaner then the united states. I assume in Japan its even cleaner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Check your facts:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...oyees-n1198736

But anyway...even if they were threatening violence because of businesses being shut down, that would somehow be better?

State governors are not legally allowed to shut down buisnesses. I know its happening but constitutionally they are not . this is not coming from me but a judge. States can not interfere with contracts therefore can not shut down buisnesses.

those people need to make a living and by shutting buisnesses down your interfering with their income . when you screw with peoples incomes people could get violent.

its amazing how people are blind to the rights we have lost.

Ya that example of threatening voilence is one small area in the untied states. the main reason is people are being told not to work!! this is ruining the economy and you dont give a crap.

OH why would someone be angry if they are forced to close their buisness and can not pay their mortgage or feed their kids. THATS JUST BANANAS!

Forcing buisnesses to shut down is violence. why? well how is it enforced? ultimatley by the state with a gun.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:29 PM

12,589 posts, read 21,733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
How many people smoke in Japan? I heard even though they are healthier then Americans that a lot of them smoke. Did you see a lot of smoking? Ya I went to Canada and it was way cleaner then the united states. I assume in Japan its even cleaner.
Just from observations, I'd guess that there are more smokers in Japan (but skewed WAY more heavily towards men than women) than the U.S. but not significantly more. Definitely not enough to have a big impact on different mortality rates between the two countries (especially when factoring in other conditions like heart disease, obesity, etc.). For perspective, smoking is a lot more prevalent in European countries I've visited (and China) than Japan. I'm also not positive, but it also seems to be more isolated in Japan - meaning it's mostly clusters of businessmen at bars or restaurants after work rather than just walking down the street, sitting in parks, etc. I'd guess the second hand smoking rates are lower over there.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:46 PM

5,974 posts, read 4,957,747 times
Quote:
State governors are not legally allowed to shut down buisnesses. I know its happening but constitutionally they are not . this is not coming from me but a judge. States can not interfere with contracts therefore can not shut down buisnesses.

those people need to make a living and by shutting buisnesses down your interfering with their income . when you screw with peoples incomes people could get violent.

Ya that example of threatening voilence is one small area in the untied states. the main reason is people are being told not to work!! this is ruining the economy and you dont give a crap.

OH why would someone be angry if they are forced to close their buisness and can not pay their mortgage or feed their kids. THATS JUST BANANAS!

Forcing buisnesses to shut down is violence. why? well how is it enforced? ultimatley by the state with a gun.
You may want to invest in a quality spellcheck program. Although, I've gotta admit that "Untied States" describes us pretty well these days.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:48 PM

9,780 posts, read 7,034,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
It is interesting that Japan has so few deaths. Not sure how they managed.

Italy had a lot of deaths but I don’t think they’re a group that’s known for having diabetes. They are typically petite people, not overweight. Some have blamed smoking since many Italians smoke.
They have a very low testing rate and typically won't test unless the patient develops pneumonia. Per this BBC article, of Tokyo's 9.3 million residents, they have tested less than 10,000 and about 4,000 were positive.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
You sound like an old man on a porch talking about the good old days, yet I suspect you are young and are being fed this perspective. Get out and see the world and find out who's figured this out. Spoiler: not us.
I might be older then you.

Old 05-04-2020, 04:58 PM

Quote:
You may want to invest in a quality spellcheck program. Although, I've gotta admit that "Untied States" describes us pretty well these days.
so instead of arguing my point you bring up spelling. ya I am lazy with spelling.

I often dont use caps because i feel i dont need to.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:

You need another example?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/us/mi...rnd/index.html

Who can be surprised after the misfits in Michigan came out with a show of arms and intimidation?

Old 05-04-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
You need another example?

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/us/mi...rnd/index.html

Who can be surprised after the misfits in Michigan came out with a show of arms and intimidation?
Oh I knew this would happen. there will always be morons. The number one issue I see and most protestors see is that they decide what is essential or not. The governors's decide and control the states with these arbituary laws.

It is insane to close all these businesses down and some are not even getting unemployment yet because the system is bogged down.

I would be for restricitions if buisnesses could stay open and people could make a living. They shut down MOST businesses.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Oh I knew this would happen. there will always be morons. The number one issue I see and most protestors see is that they decide what is essential or not. The governors's decide and control the states with these arbituary laws.

It is insane to close all these businesses down and some are not even getting unemployment yet because the system is bogged down.

I would be for restricitions if buisnesses could stay open and people could make a living. They shut down MOST businesses.
Here's where I have the problem. Businesses have been shut down worldwide by democratic governments. It's only in the US where this has been politicized and turned into a "rights" issue. Does anyone honestly think that state governments are out to shut down businesses (thereby starving themselves of tax revenue) and put people out of work? The whole premise is ludicrous. It's being done for one reason only--public safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts