Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2020, 09:48 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
The problem is that when and what to reopen is entirely political.
That's the message of the non-scientific mouthpieces of the federal administration, at least. It's a message that resonates much more strongly with some than others.

About 6,500 people have passed away due to Covid-19 here in Massachusetts. Over 5,000 people have passed away in Michigan. Both states have taken hard stances against opening too quickly because both states have been hit extremely hard relative to, say, most "red" states.

That said, I honestly don't know what a blue or red state means anymore. Charlie's red (only on paper to some), but Massachusetts is blue. Whitmer is blue, but Michigan threw their weight behind Trump (does that make them red?). To make it even more confusing, DeWine is a red governor in a state that is sometimes blue, sometimes red (and supported Trump), yet my friends in Ohio turned their shut-down anger toward Dr. Acton (Director of the DOH) and not the governor.

I don't see how states shutting down or opening up is political at all. It's because some places have been much harder hit and are responding accordingly. But the message from our administration of course is that it is political. You wouldn't see Trump banners and flags and signs at these open-up rallies if it weren't being fueled from his podium. You're buying, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 10:59 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
I don't see how states shutting down or opening up is political at all..
Pretty obvious there are plenty of Companies, Unions, and other groups pushing behind the scenes to either stay closed or reopen for whatever reason that have nothing to do with the spread of the virus. That's really what's driving what reopens and when.

I do think we would be further along with reopening if more Pols than just Trump were taking the heat for the economic losses tied to the shutdowns.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:45 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
I do think we would be further along with reopening if more Pols than just Trump were taking the heat for the economic losses tied to the shutdowns.
I think every governor is taking a lot more heat than trump ever could. I don't understand your comment.

Old 05-27-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Pretty obvious there are plenty of Companies, Unions, and other groups pushing behind the scenes to either stay closed or reopen for whatever reason that have nothing to do with the spread of the virus. That's really what's driving what reopens and when.
The standard cynicism is understandable, but I don't think Baker's reopening plan is based on politics. He and team are listening to guidance from experts in this field and balancing that against what they are hearing from business and industry across the commonwealth. Is that "politics"? That's just trying to come up with a plan that makes sense and is safe, and I think the numbers back up why different states are doing things differently.

Quote:
But Trump hasn't taken any grief about economic losses. These protests are occurring at the state and local level. I haven't seen anyone showing up to the White House to protest the "lockdown." He's done everything possible to push that blame to the states, which is honestly fair, as that is where the decisions are being made (even if that criticism does contradict federal guidance).

Old 05-27-2020, 12:27 PM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Every group is a special interest group. The trouble though is frankly not everything is going to be viable once opened.

Increasingly I don't think schools and academia are going to reopen this fall. They might make plans but the actual implementation could take months.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/...testing-place/

"College leaders are urging Baker to allow institutions to be held harmless from legal liability if they develop plans to reopen following state guidelines. Other businesses and colleges across the country are also asking for similar protections, Leshin said."

Now this wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that academia tends to attract more retirees and has people teach easily into their 60's and 70's. You cannot expect those demographics to come back into the classroom. It reminds me of an economics class that after he announced you can just do this online almost no one showed up for the class (except me and one other he gave extra credit)

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/05/...unting-issues/
"How do you load elementary school children onto a bus while keeping them 6 feet apart?

How do you protect the estimated 20 percent of teachers who are 55 or older from getting seriously ill?

How do you serve lunch?"

"New guidance from the federal government suggests school could be a lot less fun when it finally does reopen. Guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention call for a three-step approach that includes reduced student movement within schools, canceled field trips and extracurricular activities, and meals that are served in classrooms. "

Ok so no field trips, no after school sports (MIAA is going to have a field day (no pun intended). 20% of BPS students haven't logged in the past month....

So the teachers and bus drivers can get too old to do this in the flesh. Bus drivers are a CDL B license which can take awhile to learn to drive. Teacher licenses for a full set can easily take two to three months depending on subject matter (probably 4 with special and early ed).

If the students don't really go back the parents are going to have to stay at home or get a baby sitter. Leaving a 16 year old alone is one thing. Two siblings that are 6 and 8 probably isn't going to happen. If they continue to do distance learning they'll have to force employers to encourage it as well as parents can't be penalized for not leaving their kids alone without a parent or legal guardian.

The mother of all clusters is going to happen this fall nationwide.

Academia and public schools make up a significant portion of the economy, especially in the northeast. If we don't get a vaccine or herd immunity in the next year this is going to have a impact on the next school year after this.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:07 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Well that's going to be a predicament.

As it stands right now, we are already looking forward to the end of this "school year" so we can have an easier time with juggling WFH and child care.

Workplace office is going to a 50% capacity schedule with alternating days each week and a flex day. That's going to be the long-term plan to allow non-essentials back into office in the near future. Supposed to start June 1, but might be delayed a few weeks.

I'm really not looking forward to the school year next year if it's held remotely, or in a limited capacity. Wife and I are discussing alternative plans. Hoping MA actually announces something shortly to plan for it, and not at the end of July or early Aug.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Well that's going to be a predicament.

As it stands right now, we are already looking forward to the end of this "school year" so we can have an easier time with juggling WFH and child care.

Workplace office is going to a 50% capacity schedule with alternating days each week and a flex day. That's going to be the long-term plan to allow non-essentials back into office in the near future. Supposed to start June 1, but might be delayed a few weeks.

I'm really not looking forward to the school year next year if it's held remotely, or in a limited capacity. Wife and I are discussing alternative plans. Hoping MA actually announces something shortly to plan for it, and not at the end of July or early Aug.
That would be a disaster. Are we still part of this Northeast Alliance or whatever it was called for a few days? If the rest of New England opens schools in the fall and we don't...it's going to sting.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:24 PM

779 posts, read 877,067 times
I saw this article on boston.com today:
https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...ools-fall-2020

Per the article, it sounds like there is an effort to ensure schools re-open in the fall. The article also states: According to Riley, the group is hoping to release a draft plan to districts by mid-June “before schools are out for the summer so that they have several months to plan for a fall opening.”

Based on what I've heard (and I'm in no means "in the know", but have talked with some teachers about what is being discussed), it sounds like masks are mandatory, desks are >6 feet apart, lunches will be had in the classroom, and recess is off the table. Sounds like a pretty miserable day for the kids, but I'm sure there are a million things being discussed at this point.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:39 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post

Based on what I've heard (and I'm in no means "in the know", but have talked with some teachers about what is being discussed), it sounds like masks are mandatory, desks are >6 feet apart, lunches will be had in the classroom, and recess is off the table. Sounds like a pretty miserable day for the kids, but I'm sure there are a million things being discussed at this point.
My wife's a teacher and that's exactly what is being circulated for discussion. They are talking about a MWF and T-TH alternating school week for students, along with masks, desks 6 feet apart, no recess/gym, etc.

We may opt for home-schooling with my wife taking a leave-of-absence to do so. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Old 05-27-2020, 03:20 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
We’re in sort of the opposite situation. Our kids, at least the older one, are independently occupied with school work much of the day. Summer camps are already cancelling, at least the early sessions. I hope the positive trends continue and we can keep plans for some outdoor camps for the kids later in the summer. Otherwise it’s going to be a looong summer with not much to do for the kids, and us getting distracted from work. I guess this is one of the times it comes in handy to have a teacher in the family.

I’m not holding my breath that were going to have clarity on school for the fall any time soon. The Globe’s headline of Reopening of public schools this fall would come with daunting issues made me shake my head. At least use the word will instead of would. Bring some positivity and talk about solutions where you dwell on problems.

The numbers look great again today. Every important metric seems to have a sustained trend in the right direction. There’s so much negativity out there. We’re just hoping this continues. It’s been a long road just to get to this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts