Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2020, 07:16 AM

11,045 posts, read 12,313,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
This virus has turned the states and Canada's provinces into separate quasi-foreign countries. We might as well erect border checkpoints and customs offices at each of our state borders. Maine happens to be a state I wanted to visit this summer. Now do you see why this year is not going to be a fun year?
I was hoping to spend a week or two in Maine in July. I guess I can hold out hope, but have already canceled those plans. Bummer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 07:34 AM

8,796 posts, read 6,127,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Areas that rely on tourism, like Cape Cod and coastal Maine, must be hard-hit. At this point (still), out-of-state people can't even go into Maine without a 14-day quarantine, which means tourism is basically illegal. And at least along much of the coast (aside from Portland), tourism basically IS the economy.
The bold is not quite true. The Bar Harbor region is dominated by Jackson Laboratory which has thousands of professional, full time year round jobs. The Belfast region has a handful of Bank of America credit card customer service centers and anything on the coast beyond Acadia National Park: Cherryfield, Machias and beyond is a natural resource based economy. Only tourists think the Maine coast economy is all tourism.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:14 AM

24,509 posts, read 17,967,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
The bold is not quite true. The Bar Harbor region is dominated by Jackson Laboratory which has thousands of professional, full time year round jobs. The Belfast region has a handful of Bank of America credit card customer service centers and anything on the coast beyond Acadia National Park: Cherryfield, Machias and beyond is a natural resource based economy. Only tourists think the Maine coast economy is all tourism.

Err.... Tourism is 21% of state GDP. 110,000 jobs. 1 out of 6 jobs. $6.2 billion in revenue in 2018.

Layer on top of that the big downturn in the fishing/lobstering industry since restaurants are the big customers for seafood and Maine has a problem.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:23 AM

24,509 posts, read 17,967,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Nice, I am still a journeyman, but I am actually beginning to figure out the mysteries of striped bass :-).

I go fishing. I haven't mastered the "catching" part.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:44 AM

12,589 posts, read 21,733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I go fishing. I haven't mastered the "catching" part.
Me too. I've invested a decent sum of money (for me, anyway) into my little Whaler over the past 8 years. I splurged on a Lowrance and some really nice gear. To this day, I've had infinitely more success driving to the Canal and using well worn sand eel lures and a 30 year old 9' spinner from the rocks. But being on the water is really nice.

Old 05-29-2020, 08:46 AM

8,796 posts, read 6,127,229 times
Quote:
Err.... Tourism is 21% of state GDP. 110,000 jobs. 1 out of 6 jobs. $6.2 billion in revenue in 2018.
And 80% of the jobs in Maine are not tied to tourism which was my point in replying to the earlier post that implied that tourism IS the bulk of the economy of coastal Maine. It isn't. It's only 15% to 25% percent depending on the specific section of the coast. I lived in Hancock County for a decade and members of my family have lived there for almost 30 years. Until COVID19 hit, that part of the coast was bursting with growth driven by Jackson Laboratory and retirees relocating to the area, not hospitality. There were several years between recessions where hospitality businesses in Maine had to seek H1B1 visas because Maine locals had better options. The hospitality industry does not provide good employment and I do not see a short term decline in hospitality activity hurting Mainers any worse than the challenges people in other states are facing.

Quote:
Layer on top of that the big downturn in the fishing/lobstering industry since restaurants are the big customers for seafood and Maine has a problem.
Almost every state will face unique problems related to COVID19.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:03 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,527,349 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
In the same boat—possibly the same camp

I was partly expecting it, so trying to get the backup plan in place. I just don’t want the kids stuck in this house this summer. We have a couple of trips planned and a few weeks of camp secured, but still have a void to fill in July. My husband’s and my job continue to be demanding with no relief on the horizon, so we will have to figure something out. I’m beyond exhausted.
Their camp is in Braintree. So if that’s where your kids go then I bet it’s the same.

Yes I think it would have been good for them but understand why it was cancelled.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:11 AM

23,067 posts, read 18,206,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
To this day, I've had infinitely more success driving to the Canal and using well worn sand eel lures and a 30 year old 9' spinner from the rocks.
It's amazing how when every other spot has failed, that place never does!

Old 05-29-2020, 09:18 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,784,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
No they did not although these elite runners would probably do fine even with masks.
The majority of finishers at the marathon aren't elite runners.
33% buy their way in (partners or fundraisers)
20,000 are age groupers. Fast and in good shape, but not elite.
This year there was supposed to be 18 elite women and 20 elite men.

Elite in races has a specific meaning - professionals and available to win prizes.

A good mask would be awful to run in!

Note: Partners are typically local running clubs. Example: Central Mass Striders get 2-5 entries a year to go to members in return for manning water stations and volunteering in Hopkinton. CMS gives them to people who can do marathons but didn't qualify that year.

Old 05-29-2020, 09:20 AM

12,589 posts, read 21,733,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
It's amazing how when every other spot has failed, that place never does!
Never. I'm always amazed at how great it can be when it's on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts