Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2020, 04:28 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
So you really think that Texas hospitals in the middle of a COVID-19 surge are seeing a big influx of elective procedures? That isn’t what happened in the Northeast Corridor.
I dont know maybe. but that wasn't the point. the point is that now you are tested for this virus specifically for everything you do. More tests, more positive results, more mild cases, less dangerous, etc but typically just used for fear mongering and trying to make everyone stay home forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 06:12 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
Just an update from our neighbors to the north, maybe will calm some school paranoia. https://www.sickkids.ca/PDFs/About-S...g-SickKids.pdf

Old 06-18-2020, 06:30 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Quote:
So you really think that Texas hospitals in the middle of a COVID-19 surge are seeing a big influx of elective procedures? That isn’t what happened in the Northeast Corridor.
Big influx? I have no idea. However, elective procedures have been allowed in Texas for nearly 2 months, so yeah, it definitely plays a part.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:34 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Listen, there's a narrative to hold here.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Just an update from our neighbors to the north, maybe will calm some school paranoia. https://www.sickkids.ca/PDFs/About-S...g-SickKids.pdf
I am going to read this thoroughly but there’s lot’s of common sense in this article at first glance. Local administrators are claiming that they are waiting for state guidance. Maybe they should all crib from this to start.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Big influx? I have no idea. However, elective procedures have been allowed in Texas for nearly 2 months, so yeah, it definitely plays a part.
Geoff's point is that despite elective procedures being open, there hasn't been a huge inflow. It's been fairly well documented and the 'town hall' Zoom meetings with our big regionals more or less confirm it. So do med device sales.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Listen, there's a narrative to hold here.
I’m just looking for some truth which lies somewhere in between “21 states are spiking!” and “nothing to see here”. Do some research on this particular point and then post it here if you disagree. Otherwise, relax if something doesn’t fit YOUR personal narrative.

The bottom line is that MA still looks great (though I have even heard the initial murmurs refuting that over the past few days), and we all want to keep it this way.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Geoff's point is that despite elective procedures being open, there hasn't been a huge inflow. It's been fairly well documented and the 'town hall' Zoom meetings with our big regionals more or less confirm it. So do med device sales.
There has been an inflow, huge or otherwise, and it has undeniably contributed to COVID hospitalization numbers, for individuals who would not have otherwise been hospitalized. It is one of several ways numbers may have been salted, for whatever reason.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I’m just looking for some truth which lies somewhere in between “21 states are spiking!” and “nothing to see here”. Do some research on this particular point and then post it here if you disagree. Otherwise, relax if something doesn’t fit YOUR personal narrative.

The bottom line is that MA still looks great (though I have even heard the initial murmurs refuting that over the past few days), and we all want to keep it this way.
I track trends purely to assess portfolio risk and hedge accordingly, not drive my fear.

I was a huge advocate, all the way back in January, for the U.S. providing UBI for at risk populations versus shuttering the whole economy. To me, it was pretty clear we were on the cusp of a legitimate global pandemic and it would be far less disruptive isolate rather than shutter - of course, easier said than done. I've evolved my opinion based on the rolling data, but ultimately my concerns at this point are reopening the economy in a safe manner which does not stress our hospital system.

As you suggest, MA has managed well thus far. However, the rolling global data suggests a staged open is likely necessary (versus treating it as a nothingburger).

Old 06-18-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
There has been an inflow, huge or otherwise, and it has undeniably contributed to COVID hospitalization numbers, for individuals who would not have otherwise been hospitalized. It is one of several ways numbers may have been salted, for whatever reason.
"huge" is you projecting. It's not huge. You can get next-day or next-week turn on procedures right now. Med device sales are absolute garbage, which is the best indicator (IMO).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts