Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2020, 04:16 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Most of what you post is on public transit. This is not very stringently enforced, in general. Spain is probably the strictest. The UK is returning students to physical classes without social distancing or masks. My customers in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland report quite reduced face mask and distancing (which was in many cases only 1 meter and not the 2 meters of the US and UK) Actually none of the Nordic countries CDC equivalents recommend masks at all.

However, maybe I should have left this part out of the original post, because the real information I want people to focus on is the excess death. This is very hard to explain if we are truly in the midst of such a uniquely bad and unpredictable pandemic.
You said they were "mostly being scrapped" and now you want to argue about it? The only one on the list that was solely public transportation was England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 07:55 PM

24,555 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You said they were "mostly being scrapped" and now you want to argue about it? The only one on the list that was solely public transportation was England.
He keeps dragging in Boris Johnson/Trump-lite policy. The U.K. has the 3rd highest death total in the world behind the United States and Brazil. Unlike the United States, you don’t have local control over mask policy. All of England has the same policy. The UK lags behind most of Europe in reopening because it handles it so poorly. Masks only became mandatory on public transport on June 15th.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:57 PM

139 posts, read 68,203 times
My understanding is that most of Europe has more contact tracing when a positive case is identified with immediate quarantine of all exposed persons. This allows for a bit more of oppeness with school children.

The problem in USA is that we are a large country, and did not undertake a unified shutdown/travel ban. Therefore virus has migrated everywhere while the focus was on first hotspots. Other places denied the need for Masks just when the East Coast and other first hotspots began to gain control and began recommending use of cloth masks and social distancing by non-medical public when out of house. Unfortunately the folks who thought they were invincible and traveled, partied in large groups, asserted there rights to worship or assemble in large groups...well these groups all overlapped with previously unaffected areas of the country, older or people with chronic health issues and the randomly unlucky other folks. These places are now having their first wave of the virus, and hopefully will not bring it back to the places that have already done deep battles and lost many people. At least a few treatment plans are now known.

Unfortunately I heard tonight of nurses treating patients all day with one issued mask-treating non-COVID and COVID patients. If the hospitals do not make separate tracks immediately upon entering hospital with separate staffing-it will be disastrous! Then COVID may come back to MA intensely before Flu season.

If people begin social distancing throughout the USA with routine mask usage, and good hand hygiene...and there is increased testing and contact tracing...this can be controlled. If you think you have symptoms, isolate for at least a week, get tested if your symptoms persist or get worse. Call your MD for advice. If you have been to a protest or large gathering...get tested.

If you have recovered from COVID, continue to wear a face covering in public. It sets a good example, and we don't know how long immunity lasts, and some folks have rebounded with illness. If your respiration is impaired, find a light weight face covering not a 2-3 layer mask with a filter!

Old 07-02-2020, 04:32 AM

17,668 posts, read 9,148,339 times
46k new cases nationwide yesterday. Highest ever.

Old 07-02-2020, 08:31 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
He keeps dragging in Boris Johnson/Trump-lite policy. The U.K. has the 3rd highest death total in the world behind the United States and Brazil. Unlike the United States, you don’t have local control over mask policy. All of England has the same policy. The UK lags behind most of Europe in reopening because it handles it so poorly. Masks only became mandatory on public transport on June 15th.
Right. My sister and her husband live in London. In their area (Fulham), everyone is wearing a mask everywhere because their effectiveness is clear at this point regardless of what the national policy is. The same is not true of the more suburban and rural areas outside of London. In both the U.S. and the U.K. there are a lot of people who have the common sense to just do it. But we need the policies for those who don't, otherwise... well... Florida.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:46 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,776,580 times
Looks like Phase 3 will indeed begin on Monday. Includes Movie Theaters, Gyms, and Museums.

Old 07-02-2020, 10:51 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Looks like Phase 3 will indeed begin on Monday. Includes Movie Theaters, Gyms, and Museums.
As much as I'd love to partake, it's going to take me a LONG time to work up the courage to go back to my gym.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:54 AM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
As much as I'd love to partake, it's going to take me a LONG time to work up the courage to go back to my gym.

Same here. I haven't been since 2007. Just too scary.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:58 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Same here. I haven't been since 2007. Just too scary.
LOL, good one! Here I am thinking March 14, 2020 was ancient history!

Old 07-02-2020, 01:05 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Right. My sister and her husband live in London. In their area (Fulham), everyone is wearing a mask everywhere because their effectiveness is clear at this point regardless of what the national policy is. The same is not true of the more suburban and rural areas outside of London. In both the U.S. and the U.K. there are a lot of people who have the common sense to just do it. But we need the policies for those who don't, otherwise... well... Florida.
The UK's way of handling this has made me very upset and I have family there too. At first there were no rules, then things got so bad that they really cracked down so that people had to stay inside except for one hour outdoors to get exercise. For driving, it had to be to a grocery store or a doctor. That's more strict than we were.

Most people were obedient and finally the original mess which was created by doing nothing, improved.

So they started opening up and people went nuts! Same as here after being cooped up. In opening up, the only new requirement was that people wear masks on buses and trains. Duh--turns out a lot of them would get on, sit down, and then remove the mask!

But otherwise, no mention of masks that I've noticed. Some people are making them and wearing them because they choose to, but I haven't heard the government suggest it or tell them to. Now some areas, mostly in or around London and in run down Bradford (think Lawrence only worse), in the North, are being shut down again.

They are saying that one reason for the increase in cases is that it's the poor people who lived crammed in and cannot distance and cannot afford to stay home. Many of them, too, do not speak English and therefore may have missed the messages. But since no one over there seems to have suggested mask wearing, it leads me to believe that masks DO make more difference than some people seem to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts