Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2020, 08:03 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
A COMPLETE lockdown for 3 weeks could effectively break the chain of transmission.

Everyone wearing masks for 3 weeks would help, but it would not accomplish this.
Yes, but impractical due to health care, law enforcement, and other essential workers having to go out & about. But masks on top of this for those who are out & about, may do the trick.

If presented this way, wouldn't this be far preferable to the doofuses in charge, who are pretending this is a hoax and a conspiracy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2020, 08:04 AM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
The fact that Trump wore a mask for the first time in public this week speaks volumes.
First & last time. Mark my words.

Old 07-14-2020, 08:30 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
The path to winning these types of issues is in educating the masses. Convince everyone that it's a good/beneficial thing to do and they'll do it. The problem of course is we're working with a nation where just under half of them are listening to voices actively trying to undermine the rest, so this becomes very difficult.
Correct on the latter. I would argue that financial and licensing fines would be much more effective than trying to "educate" a population in which at least 30% are listening to truth obfuscating propaganda.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:03 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I would argue that financial and licensing fines would be much more effective than trying to "educate" a population in which at least 30% are listening to truth obfuscating propaganda.

I think it's less about truth obfuscation and more about a basic selfish IDGAF attitude. People aren't going to change their behavior unless there are sure, rapidly enforced, and costly penalties. Look at DUI law. If you injure or kill someone, or get convicted 3 times, it's a felony. Morons without masks have a far higher cost to society than mere drunks behind the wheel.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:12 AM

17,672 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Geoff, what do you do here?

https://turnto10.com/news/local/gallery/dem-concerned-over-lack-of-social-distancing-at-misquamicut-state-beach-thursday#photo-1

Old 07-14-2020, 09:15 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
The same behavior was going on at Mass costal spots this weekend.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:29 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times
Are people really that worried about getting corona on a beach that isn’t that crowded? Florida beaches seem pretty packed but the beaches down the cape haven’t been that bad. And considering the numbers in MA vs FL it’s kind of like comparing apples and oranges. I’d be more worried about revere beach which has people from places like Chelsea, Lawrence, Lynn and revere where numbers have been high. But overall the spread seems to happen indoors not outdoors. Wasn’t the transmission rate during those protests here very low also ?

We drove by Chatham bars inn and the pool and beach area was crowded. But wealthy people don’t need to worry about corona right?

Last edited by Bridge781; 07-14-2020 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: K

Old 07-14-2020, 09:50 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Are people really that worried about getting corona on a beach that isn’t that crowded? Florida beaches seem pretty packed but the beaches down the cape haven’t been that bad. And considering the numbers in MA vs FL it’s kind of like comparing apples and oranges. I’d be more worried about revere beach which has people from places like Chelsea, Lawrence, Lynn and revere where numbers have been high. But overall the spread seems to happen indoors not outdoors. Wasn’t the transmission rate during those protests here very low also ?

We drove by Chatham bars inn and the pool and beach area was crowded. But wealthy people don’t need to worry about corona right?

Reportedly, but you couldnt' find a person without a mask at one of those, and if you didn't have one, there were people there in a flash giving you one.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:14 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times
People are not wearing masks at the beach.

Old 07-14-2020, 10:27 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times

I close most of the parking lots. I probably give priority to Rhode Island residents. That's what my town did at the town beach. I've had the boat off the town beach a few times on weekends recently and it's not overflowing. The Horseneck State Beach also limited their parking. I've driven past the entrance a number of times and there are signs all over the place. My private beach banned guests who aren't sleeping at your house and groups on the beach have to be separated by 12 feet. Nobody is going to risk getting their membership revoked by violating that policy.

Here's my beach at 4:09pm on Sunday.

My Vermont condo has a pool. I haven't been there since March when they pulled the plug on skiing but there's a policy of 10 people in the pool area and 90 minutes max. A nasty-gram went out from the board this morning that anyone violating this will lose pool access for the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts