Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2020, 08:45 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I disagree but don't want to engage in debate, as the Coronavirus master thread has plenty of it . As I said, the Gov favored public health, not just hospital capacity, as the main criterion, and this is the result.
I respect your opinion. I'm just a realist, and realize that a virus isn't going to disappear and we will have to deal with it. I think many thought it would go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2020, 05:06 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I do agree MA and much of the northeast got hit early. I have a different opinion that as long as the hospitals weren't overloaded they should have opened up right after. I still think it was completely unconstitutional for the government to decide which businesses could and can't open and when.
If a 500 bed hospital has a few hundred COVID-19 patients, nobody in their right mind is going to have anything elective done at that facility. It’s why all the hospitals are in such tough financial shape. When hospitals opened up for elective procedures, most people still stayed away.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:07 AM

3,730 posts, read 1,766,158 times
At a boy king Charlie...great job...bravo...we’re number 1 in the country for unemployment. And I thought Michael Dukakis was the worst Governor this state has ever had...not anymore

Old 07-20-2020, 06:24 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
Quote:
It's the same website that was showing us at 0.7 a few weeks ago.

https://rt.live/us/MA
I'm no data scientist, so I may be wrong, but I don't know how you could accurately measure Rt without universal testing and contact tracing. Seems like it's more of a best guess based on available data.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:13 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
I'm no data scientist, so I may be wrong, but I don't know how you could accurately measure Rt without universal testing and contact tracing. Seems like it's more of a best guess based on available data.
Everything is “a best guess based on available data”. You don’t need contact tracing. You need a perfect test that is given to everyone frequently to get an exact number for transmission rate. The test has a 30% false negative rate. The only people being tested frequently work in health care jobs like CNA at a nursing home. I think it’s a pretty good approximation.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:47 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Everything is “a best guess based on available data”. You don’t need contact tracing. You need a perfect test that is given to everyone frequently to get an exact number for transmission rate. The test has a 30% false negative rate. The only people being tested frequently work in health care jobs like CNA at a nursing home. I think it’s a pretty good approximation.
This is true, of course, but I'm throwing a ton of extra emphasis on the guess part. Like, it's a total guess. To me, a 30% false negative rate and limited testing for the general population outside of healthcare positions (despite the personal stories being reported here) don't add up to any sort of credible Rt factor.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:21 AM

10,018 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
At a boy king Charlie...great job...bravo...we’re number 1 in the country for unemployment. And I thought Michael Dukakis was the worst Governor this state has ever had...not anymore
Oh, I think Dukakis was much worse. He would have wanted to raise taxes in the middle of all this.

You have a short memory.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:52 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Unemployment will recover. The lives lost won't. How hard is that to comprehend?

Old 07-20-2020, 08:57 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,869 times
Quote:
Unemployment will recover. The lives lost won't. How hard is that to comprehend?
Apparently is really hard for many until it touches them directly. I read so many "I didn't think it was a big deal and my I am really sick, people really need to pay attention" stories.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:57 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I thought only the rapid test from Abbott has a 30% false negative rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts