Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2020, 05:37 AM

24,509 posts, read 17,967,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
How is this for an example. MA = higher death rate than Florida. The highest death rates are in the Northeast, but everyone has no changed their mentality from deaths to cases, when cases are not relevant.

Yes I agree bars are more relevant to spread a virus, but its for younger people who have very little risk. The risk is in nursing homes, where Cuomo and Baker sent the very sick back from the hospitals to the nursing homes to kill most people. I believe the average death of covid (if stats are even accurate) is an age of 81 or 82 for people in MA.

Let the younger people get infected and burn the virus out and protect the at risk people, like we have done with every other virus. And if you want to wear your mask and feel safe go for it.
62% of Massachusetts deaths were nursing homes. Months later in Florida, the protocol to keep it out of nursing homes was very well understood. Treatment improved through advances at the top northeastern hospitals which are a point of excellence. That improved outcomes. Of course the mortality rate is lower. It’s late-July, not March when none of this was known.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 06:42 AM

23,067 posts, read 18,206,847 times
Quote:
How is this for an example. MA = higher death rate than Florida. The highest death rates are in the Northeast, but everyone has no changed their mentality from deaths to cases, when cases are not relevant.

Yes I agree bars are more relevant to spread a virus, but its for younger people who have very little risk. The risk is in nursing homes, where Cuomo and Baker sent the very sick back from the hospitals to the nursing homes to kill most people. I believe the average death of covid (if stats are even accurate) is an age of 81 or 82 for people in MA.

Let the younger people get infected and burn the virus out and protect the at risk people, like we have done with every other virus. And if you want to wear your mask and feel safe go for it.
Dude, 126 deaths yesterday in FL vs. 26 in MA.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/ng...e-by-state#top

Old 07-26-2020, 08:31 AM

9,780 posts, read 7,034,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
This is a more realistic medium-term to long-term approach I can see companies considering. Everyone with office jobs will still be commuting, but they'll do it half or three-quarters as much, and if enough are on such a rotation, it might also shed just enough load off the traffic levels to make the commute a little less painful too.

Productivity will likely still drop, though much less than with full-time remote workers.

Full-timing it at home though just isn't sustainable or viable for 95% of the workforce.
I think that as well. I could see it being half in the office Monday, Tuesday and other half Wednesday, Thursday with Friday being a home day for everyone.

As my wife noted, if the job requires very repeatable tasks, she could work from home. But in her case, there's so much interaction among people and other groups that face to face is needed. I know a person who works in finance who hasn't been in the office to work for 20 years. Her work revolves around data entry and is easily done from home.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:29 AM

3,075 posts, read 5,620,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

Yup, thanks for using one day. Florida has a substantially larger population than Massachusetts. The overall death rate in Florida is still way lower than Massachusetts. Much of the northeast got hit first and I believe many up in that area have developed an immunity now. I know this isn't a stat, but almost everyone I know up there which is well over 50 people were sick in January, February, or March and it was all said to be the basic flu.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:30 AM

3,075 posts, read 5,620,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
62% of Massachusetts deaths were nursing homes. Months later in Florida, the protocol to keep it out of nursing homes was very well understood. Treatment improved through advances at the top northeastern hospitals which are a point of excellence. That improved outcomes. Of course the mortality rate is lower. It’s late-July, not March when none of this was known.
Correct, we always knew the elderly and those with weaker immune systems were at risk; they always are. The problem was that many governors in the northeast states threw the infected back to the nursing homes infecting and killing more. The highest death rates are in the northeast (NY, MA, NJ, PA).

Old 07-26-2020, 09:37 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,784,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post

Death rate:
FL: 2.7 x 10^-4
MA: 12.3 x 10^-4

Mass's death rate is 5x more than FL. However, with the way things are going, FL's got a chance to catch us.

Mass doesn't have the highest death rate either.
NY: 12.9 x 10^-4
NJ: 17.7 x 10^-4

Old 07-26-2020, 09:43 AM

Unemployment rate by zip code in Massachusetts.

https://pioneerinstitute.org/news/wh...e-to-covid-19/

Not many surprises. It’s going to get ugly a week from now when the $600 Federal unemployment supplement goes away.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:51 AM

23,067 posts, read 18,206,847 times
Quote:
Yup, thanks for using one day. Florida has a substantially larger population than Massachusetts. The overall death rate in Florida is still way lower than Massachusetts. Much of the northeast got hit first and I believe many up in that area have developed an immunity now. I know this isn't a stat, but almost everyone I know up there which is well over 50 people were sick in January, February, or March and it was all said to be the basic flu.
Of course but if you want to talk about which state is doing a better job at the moment, it looks like MA has things under far better control based on all recent numbers. Only time will tell in the end, which states managed it more effectively (all things being equal of course). As for the some level of herd immunity protecting MA at the moment, well that's just a wild guess at this time. All the people getting sick in January, February...could have been Covid, but very likely could have been a flu strain as well. There was all kinds of stuff going around then, just as there are most winters. Hopefully you are correct, but I think some of your presumptions are premature right now.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Correct, we always knew the elderly and those with weaker immune systems were at risk; they always are. The problem was that many governors in the northeast states threw the infected back to the nursing homes infecting and killing more. The highest death rates are in the northeast (NY, MA, NJ, PA).
Massachusetts didn’t throw COVID people back into nursing homes. There was a gaping hole in nursing home regulation and infection control requirements which has since been fixed. In March, nursing home staff couldn’t get tested weekly. They had no access to PPE. Nursing homes pay lousy so management and staff were often weak and poorly trained. The plague places now have all those object lessons and they have priority access to testing and PPE. They can adopt the playbook every nursing home in the Northeast has adopted for months.

You couldn’t have a Holyoke veterans home debacle in Massachusetts now. There are far too many eyeballs on the process.

The name of the game is keeping the transmission rate below 1.0. It is very well understood how to do that. Only an idiot would deny the facts and science.

Old 07-26-2020, 10:39 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,784,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Unemployment rate by zip code in Massachusetts.

https://pioneerinstitute.org/news/wh...e-to-covid-19/

Not many surprises. It’s going to get ugly a week from now when the $600 Federal unemployment supplement goes away.
Pretty dramatic exercise when you change the date from March 7 to a time in May.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts