Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2020, 04:16 PM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times

Advertisements

I am mostly watching the national numbers. The US is currently at 33K confirmed cases. I suspect we'll be at 100K confirmed cases by next weekend (if they don't curtail testing). In NY, the governor is asking the Army Corps of Engineers to help them quickly build pop-up hospitals because the existing ones are getting overwhelmed. Other states, like the rural states to our north, are actually fairly quiet still.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-22-2020 at 04:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 04:43 PM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I am mostly watching the national numbers. The US is currently at 33K confirmed cases. I suspect we'll be at 100K confirmed cases by next weekend (if they don't curtail testing). In NY, the governor is asking the Army Corps of Engineers to help them quickly build pop-up hospitals because the existing ones are getting overwhelmed. Other states, like the rural states to our north, are actually fairly quiet still.
I don't understand why they just don't send people out outlying hospitals. If they can't make it on their own pop them into an ambulance.

Old 03-22-2020, 04:57 PM

636 posts, read 705,921 times
More 20- 29 year old Millennials with the C Virus
Then 60-69 year olds

Credit Photo: WBZ AnnaMeiler
5pm Mar 22,2020
Massachusetts

https://twitter.com/AnnaMeiler/statu...103163394?s=20

Old 03-22-2020, 04:59 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,415,166 times
Because the outlying hospitals expect their own flood of cases, and why shouldn't they? It's going to be everywhere.

BOSTON (CBS) – Coronavirus cases are now up to 646 in Massachusetts after 121 new positive tests, the Department of Public Health said on Sunday.

So far, five coronavirus deaths have been confirmed in Massachusetts.

On Friday, the DPH announced the first death in the state, a Suffolk County man in his 80s with underlying health conditions. Saturday, it was announced that a woman in her 50s from Middlesex County who had a pre-existing condition died. Three more deaths, two men in their 70s and one man in his 90s, were announced Sunday.

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/...stitive-tests/

Old 03-22-2020, 05:05 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,018,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Not really. Maine would have 480 cases if it were the same population of Mass. VT would have 533.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:21 PM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Not really. Maine would have 480 cases if it were the same population of Mass. VT would have 533.
You're right that there are a lot of factors that complicate these numbers. There's also the testing frequency, of course. If you don't test much, then surely you won't find much. NY has tested more than any other state. I do believe they have the most cases, btw. But other states might be closer in case density than the raw observations make it look.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:35 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
I'm at an apartment community in Amherst with 90% UMASS students. My fear is a few of them were among the idiots that went to FL last week on spring break...

Old 03-22-2020, 05:45 PM

18,723 posts, read 33,385,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I don't understand why they just don't send people out outlying hospitals. If they can't make it on their own pop them into an ambulance.
That is already being done or expected to be done. Of course it's been taken into account.
In more further reaching areas, people are Medflighted to another hospital.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:46 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
I'm at an apartment community in Amherst with 90% UMASS students. My fear is a few of them were among the idiots that went to FL last week on spring break...
A lot of those UMASS students have always been brats. I would hate to be living in Amherst right now. The students go on rampages, they vandalize property, they have drunken brawls in the streets, and nothing much is ever done about it. The university says it's not their problem. The Amherst police say it's not their problem either. All the drunk driving and rioting, all of it is about doing whatever they want to do no matter what! If I were you I'd stay inside for a few weeks if you can and wait to see how many of them develop the illness. Then, when they do, just hope that they actually stay inside their own apartments--can't imagine that they really would though. Be very careful. Those out of control UMass students were one of the reasons I moved away--it was bad back then, probably just as bad or even worse now. Nobody ever does anything to them, they just keep getting away with it. It used to be simply a matter of putting up with the noisy partying and the usual annoying behaviors and being careful when you're driving due to their drunk driving, but this time it's really a matter of life and death.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:51 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
A lot of those UMASS students have always been brats. I would hate to be living in Amherst right now. The students go on rampages, they vandalize property, they have drunken brawls in the streets, and nothing much is ever done about it. The university says it's not their problem. The Amherst police say it's not their problem either. All the drunk driving and rioting, all of it is about doing whatever they want to do no matter what! If I were you I'd stay inside for a few weeks if you can and wait to see how many of them develop the illness. Then, when they do, just hope that they actually stay inside their own apartments--can't imagine that they really would though. Be very careful. Those out of control UMass students were one of the reasons I moved away--it was bad back then, probably just as bad or even worse now. Nobody ever does anything to them, they just keep getting away with it. It used to be simply a matter of putting up with the noisy partying and the usual annoying behaviors and being careful when you're driving due to their drunk driving, but this time it's really a matter of life and death.
Actually the property I live on I am the resident manager/Maintenance manager. This is a very tame property, they never party, they are well behaved, hardly every have to reprimand them. Only a few of the ones that left last year were so-so. I am fortunate in the sense I am on a nice property. I rarely even find beer cans or trash on the property. BUT, where did they go this last week, I know with the colleges cancelled a lot of them are now gone, and stayed gone, but when they return, that is when I wonder where they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts