Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 10:01 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Quite honestly I’ve been avoiding restaurants. I feel bad but what if someone preparing the take out there has coronavirus?
No evidence of food transmission taking place

https://www.twincities.com/2020/03/1...staurant-food/

140-150F has been shown to kill viruses, so cooking in general will make the food safe. Of course, if someone coughs right on your food it could be a completely different matter.

Only "take-out" I had been getting this week was coffee at Dunks. Even then, I grab my coffee, go home, and pour it into my own mug and then wash my hands. The coffee itself is pretty hot so not worried about it.

However, I just picked up some K-cups so I will make it at home from now on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 10:08 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times
They need to shut down the train

Old 03-23-2020, 10:19 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
How about they say what's closed instead of what's open?

Old 03-23-2020, 10:22 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,546,433 times
Right I think I need to avoid the news at this point. I’m not finding anything helpful. I’m someone who likes to have a plan and know what’s happening and there’s really no answers on this.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:33 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
This site gives a good state-by state breakdown of testing and results. The data is very messy, and clearly completely different standards are being used for accessibility to testing in different states.

- NY has run 61,401 tests (most in the nation), with 15,168 positive.
- One state over, NJ, which also has a big population, has run only 2,290 tests (1/27 of what NY has done), with 1,914 positive - a very high percentage.
- And one more state over, DE has run only 92 tests - with 56 positive, they're basically not testing at all!
- Meanwhile, MA has run 6,128 tests, with 646 positive

https://covidtracking.com/data/

Old 03-23-2020, 10:50 AM

WHat they really should do is a deep 1-week closing of most everything.

I realize that disrupts the livelihood of millions of people, but this limited shutdown really more to draw this out and flatten the curve vs a large peek. I wonder if a deep, painful 1-week shutdown with bare-bones essentials and having people stay home would be more productive.

Of course, it all depends on people actually staying home and not using the opportunity to have a social gathering or two.

As much as it would drive people nuts...a blizzard locking everyone inside for 2 days would be nice right about now. That could make a big dent in slowing things down.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:06 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Right I think I need to avoid the news at this point. I’m not finding anything helpful. I’m someone who likes to have a plan and know what’s happening and there’s really no answers on this.
It's probably better to stick to a few good sources than troll social media (or C-D) for info. I'm following www.mass.gov/covid19, https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html, the Globe, and occasionally the NYT. I'm basically ignoring anything on social media - no matter how well-intentioned they may be, my old high school and college friends sharing memes and rumors doesn't help anyone. Taking that approach has kept me informed and not overwhelmed. And in spite of all of the information that's out there, your plan should be about the same today as it was a week ago - stay home.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:06 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
WHat they really should do is a deep 1-week closing of most everything.

I realize that disrupts the livelihood of millions of people, but this limited shutdown really more to draw this out and flatten the curve vs a large peek. I wonder if a deep, painful 1-week shutdown with bare-bones essentials and having people stay home would be more productive.
That's basically what it's been for like two weeks now.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
That's basically what it's been for like two weeks now.
Yes, but a little further than that.

Body shops, Autozone, legal offices, etc. All those companies that are operating under a "grey area" today.

I realize it's tough to draw the line at what qualifies.

I just received a letter from my legal dept to print out and take with me in my car in case I am stopped. I really don't think the roads will be empty enough that I would get stopped anyway, so seems like a moot point. Freedom of travel has not been restricted.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:18 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
I feel like the twilight zone. I've been on my own lockdown for about 2 weeks, as has my office and most people I know who don't work essential jobs. My boyfriend did come visit this weekend because he's super isolated himself and we decided we didn't pose a risk to each other, plus I'm not sure when I'll be able to see him again after this. Months. Plus he brought me some supplies that he could readily get in his rural upstate NY home that I couldn't get - TP, hand sanitizer, onions, and potatoes.

We went out driving on Saturday since I really hadn't left the house, and I was shocked at how many people were out and about. He ran into Target to pick up a few essentials for me and told me that people were clothes and toy shopping with their whole family. Meanwhile, I waited in the car while he donned glasses, gloves, and a mask and disinfected everything (including his shoes) before getting back in the car.

I feel lucky and protected knowing everyone in my immediate circle has taken this seriously for quite awhile, but yikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts