Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2020, 07:24 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
anybody have shortages of anything yet? Seems strange when I go around and I see that one missing thing for no reason. Here weeks ago was bacon just one piece of bacon at the supermarket it's all sold out even the turkey bacon...
More people eating comfort food, maybe. They are probably producing as much as is historical, but people are consuming more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 07:38 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,191 times
I think I mentioned here before that I went to wequasset for my birthday as I do every year. We normally get a room and spend the night but this time we just had dinner and ate outside. It was crowded. I mean it was the end of July, beautiful weather, beautiful place but I was still surprised by the crowds. There were plenty of people eating indoors and plenty of people who appeared to be there on vacation from all over the world. That following Tuesday I found an article that someone working in the kitchen tested positive. I freaked out a bit, called the place, spoke with the director of quality control or something. She told me that yes the person was working the night I ate there. She said CDC says spread of corona through food is low and it’s likely I didn’t come within 6 ft of this person. She said 30 other employees who were near the employee had all tested negative. If there were other cases it likely would be in the news like the Chatham house party and the Falmouth lifeguard situation.

I love going out to eat. I’ve saved some money in not doing so as often but it’s something I miss. I’m also getting a haircut for the first time since January I think on Friday.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:43 AM

779 posts, read 876,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
Everyone has their own 'comfy zone'.

Eating inside a restaurant is not in ours.

Just not 'there' yet. Maybe its low risk, but a risk still...
We eat out often--outdoors, indoors, it doesn't matter to us as we are low-risk. I prefer reservations because restaurants are getting busier and we are starting to need to wait if we don't have reservations (this wasn't happening a month ago). I actually love it--the restaurants are quiet, the waitstaff is very attentive. It feels very relaxed.

Same with anything else that used to be crowded. We take our kids to the pool at the Y on weekends. It used to be really busy on weekends, but now that you need a reservation, it's so quiet there. Our experience at amusement parks has been wonderful-- you need a reservation, but there are essentially no lines for the rides. As a person who prefers to plan and does not love crowds, this whole reservation system with fewer crowds is perfect for me!

Old 08-19-2020, 08:17 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
My wife and I actually haven't had a date night since Mar. It's mostly her choosing for this, as nearly loosing her Mom to Covid back in Mar has caused her to be a lot more cautious in the things our family does. No dinners out, no letting relatives babysit the kids (either in our house, or theirs) and only recently started using daycare again. We share a bday in late Mar, so we usually go away for that. We skipped it this year.

Labor day weekend we have a trip to ME scheduled. Our first solo night together since Feb.

Old 08-19-2020, 08:28 AM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post
We eat out often--outdoors, indoors, it doesn't matter to us as we are low-risk. I prefer reservations because restaurants are getting busier and we are starting to need to wait if we don't have reservations (this wasn't happening a month ago). I actually love it--the restaurants are quiet, the waitstaff is very attentive. It feels very relaxed.

Same with anything else that used to be crowded. We take our kids to the pool at the Y on weekends. It used to be really busy on weekends, but now that you need a reservation, it's so quiet there. Our experience at amusement parks has been wonderful-- you need a reservation, but there are essentially no lines for the rides. As a person who prefers to plan and does not love crowds, this whole reservation system with fewer crowds is perfect for me!
We've now eaten indoors twice (both reservations made by other people). We're also lower risk and generally careful. I'm glad you feel relaxed, but I just haven't felt that way yet. We've been fine outdoors, but indoor dining feels off still. Just weird... maybe we need to do it more. The waitstaff has been awesome both indoors and out though.

I'm also appreciating the reservation systems for activities. We've used the Trustees of the Reservations system for their parks and beaches and it's been really awesome. I hope some of these systems remain in place.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:18 AM

779 posts, read 876,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
My wife and I actually haven't had a date night since Mar. It's mostly her choosing for this, as nearly loosing her Mom to Covid back in Mar has caused her to be a lot more cautious in the things our family does. No dinners out, no letting relatives babysit the kids (either in our house, or theirs) and only recently started using daycare again. We share a bday in late Mar, so we usually go away for that. We skipped it this year.

Labor day weekend we have a trip to ME scheduled. Our first solo night together since Feb.
Oh, that is brutal! My husband and I have kept our Saturday night date night throughout most of this pandemic and that mental break has been more needed than ever. When there were no dining options, we just got takeout and ate in the car. Now we're back to eating at restaurants. Enjoy your trip to Maine, it is much-deserved and you will love it!

Old 08-19-2020, 09:39 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewfieMama View Post

We have eaten indoors but not as often. That’s great about the amusement park experience. We normally go to North Conway around this time just not this year.

Overall it seems like many folks are relaxing. Definitely not on this forum though. I’m surprised by how fearful some here are but I don’t know the full stories. I can see being nervous if you were exposed to covid and knew about it...I’m just trying to have some sense of normalcy since so many decisions are being made for me right now as far as school, work, or even visiting the library goes.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:53 AM

17,708 posts, read 9,175,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I don’t want to be eating indoors at a restaurant personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
We have eaten indoors but not as often.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:12 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
There’s been two times where we showed up at the restaurant wanting to eat outside but there was only indoor seating. I didn’t necessarily want to eat indoors but I also didn’t want to wait or go home and make my own food so we ate inside. It’s not my preference but I’ll still do it as long as it’s not mobbed.

I do thinks restaurants will be in trouble again once the nice weather disappears which will happen in October. Some might still be ok with sitting outside but once it turns freezing that’s not going to happen. Distancing will still need to happen indoors which makes room for way less people plus many are afraid to eat inside.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:45 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
My uncle passed away last Friday. We later found out it was due to covid. He was receiving treatment for cancer and had VERY limited interaction with anyone else - none of his nieces and nephews have seen him for instance - due to his compromised immune system. We were all shocked when he passed away suddenly since he had been doing so well. He woke up having a very hard time breathing on Friday morning, collapsed while waiting for an ambulance, and was stabilizing in the ER before he died of a massive heart attack. His doctors believe that while cancer made him more susceptible, it was the blood clots from covid that caused his heart attack and death.

Only 3 people saw him - his twin brother who he had lived with for his entire 55 years, his sister who took him to appointments, and his best friend once. His best friend tested positive after exposure at a work site.

He is the 5th person I've known to die of covid, including 2 coworkers, my aunt's mother-in-law, and just yesterday I learned that an ex-boyfriend died of covid in his mid 30s.

In any case, no indoor dining for me. Probably not until a critical mass, myself included, have received a vaccine. I'm considered very high risk as a blood cancer survivor. My boyfriend is very low risk (no preexisting conditions, early 30s) but between me and employing his medium-to-high risk parents, it's not something he's willing to chance either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts