Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2020, 11:53 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
That's entirely possible as well, I'm just thinking in the likes of HIV/AIDS or similar viruses (maybe Polio too???) that remain live in body. Some similarities at play. Then you have infections like Syphilis and certain tick borne diseases (Lyme, Babesia, etc.), that have like properties as well.
Note: I mistyped above and wrote epithelium when I meant endothelium, BTW...

Once you get damage to the vascular lining, and you often have clotting issues, you then have circulation problems, which can cause serious tissue damage...in some patients, they have found that myelin, which is effectively the insulator on neural "wires", is being stripped, which causes other problems - multiple sclerosis is probably the best known disease involving demyelination. None of these kinds of issues are minor or easily and quickly healed, so even if the excessive inflammation and immune response subsides, you could still expect lasting problems. This can really be some serious s--t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 12:05 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
From what I understand, some people have recovered and then died weeks or months later from organ failure.

I wouldn't be surprised if even the college kids who just get the sniffles actually have some damage done to their organs. Perhaps knocking 10-15 years off their life? Or am I way off base here?

Old 08-23-2020, 01:02 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Perhaps knocking 10-15 years off their life? Or am I way off base here?
Most likely

Old 08-23-2020, 01:19 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
From what I understand, some people have recovered and then died weeks or months later from organ failure.

I wouldn't be surprised if even the college kids who just get the sniffles actually have some damage done to their organs. Perhaps knocking 10-15 years off their life? Or am I way off base here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Most likely
Maybe, or maybe not. I don't think we have even begun to develop a real understanding of that yet.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:20 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
More likely the damage caused by the virus remains when the virus is gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Note: I mistyped above and wrote epithelium when I meant endothelium, BTW...

Once you get damage to the vascular lining, and you often have clotting issues, you then have circulation problems, which can cause serious tissue damage...in some patients, they have found that myelin, which is effectively the insulator on neural "wires", is being stripped, which causes other problems - multiple sclerosis is probably the best known disease involving demyelination. None of these kinds of issues are minor or easily and quickly healed, so even if the excessive inflammation and immune response subsides, you could still expect lasting problems. This can really be some serious s--t.
Most likely yes, I'm just wondering about possibilities given they exist with other viruses/illnesses that cause similar responses. I assume they aren't ruling it out, hopefully anyway.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:32 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellamushy View Post
I'm traveling from Washington state to Massachusetts next month. I realize that I must produce a negative COVID-19 test result that has been administered up to 72-hours prior to your arrival in Massachusetts.

My travel partner is tested weekly but his results don't show a time the test was taken. I've been asking around and no one seems to remember if their test results show the time the test was taken or just the day.

Is three days good enough or does it have to be 72hrs? Do they check everyone coming off the plane or is this rule on the honor system? I'm arriving after labor day when testing is closed or I'd just test the day before.
It's on the honor system. You are asked to have a negative test within 72 hours before your arrival or quarantine for two weeks. Nobody is going to ask you for your "papers" but if an outbreak happens in your hotel, you will be contacted and if it is traced to you, a fine will be issued.

You are supposed to fill out this form but I'm sure your hotel will give you one.

Old 08-23-2020, 04:05 PM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:

This is a big and complex situation, so while I am following it, I can't say that I know all there is out there, it's far too big. Having said that, what you seem to be proposing doesn't sound like an accurate way to characterize the clinical course. Typically, I wouldn't expect people that experience only light symptoms, to receive organ damage, I would expect those situations to occur far more often in someone who is hospitalized - it does occur with significant frequency in those cases... here's a paper pre-print that states for example: "A total of 3,235 hospitalized patients were diagnosed with COVID-19. AKI occurred in 1406 (46%) patients overall and 280 (20%) with AKI required renal replacement therapy. " That's Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) and renal replacement therapy = kidney failure treatment.... that's bad!
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32511564/

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 08-23-2020 at 04:21 PM..

Old 08-23-2020, 06:12 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,650,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
COVID-19 can put anyone in the hospital and often with debilitating symptoms that could last for the rest of your life. Only a total moron would merely look at the death rate. Polio has a low mortality rate. You want to get the polio virus? No thanks.

There's all kinds of evidence of cardiac damage. For example, Red Sox pitcher Eduardo Rodriguez is out for the year with COVID-19 heart condition. He's 27 and a professional athlete. Nobody knows if he'll ever pitch again.

From the CDC:

COVID-19 hospitalization rate relative to the age 18-29 comparison group

30-39 years2x higher
40-49 years 3x higher
50-64 years 4x higher
65-74 years 5x higher
75-84 years 8x higher
85+ years13x higher
Rodriquez had heart issues pre-covid so to blame it on covid itself is inaccurate.

There might be evidence of damage due to covid, but whether or not it came before or after it is up for debate, we don't know yet. Either way, I just don't believe we can stop a common cold virus from infecting people.

People forget the flu an pneumonia can put people in the hospital, but fairly healthy people have shown minimal to moderate symptoms at most with this. We are scaring most people into thinking they will drop dead when most will have minor symptoms. Why aren't we telling people this and making everyone walk on eggshells.

The stats show people under 60 will survive but yet we have scared society into a different direction.

Old 08-23-2020, 06:39 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,770,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
Rodriquez had heart issues pre-covid so to blame it on covid itself is inaccurate.

There might be evidence of damage due to covid, but whether or not it came before or after it is up for debate, we don't know yet. Either way, I just don't believe we can stop a common cold virus from infecting people.

People forget the flu an pneumonia can put people in the hospital, but fairly healthy people have shown minimal to moderate symptoms at most with this. We are scaring most people into thinking they will drop dead when most will have minor symptoms. Why aren't we telling people this and making everyone walk on eggshells.

The stats show people under 60 will survive but yet we have scared society into a different direction.

It's not all about dying y'know, it's about getting seriously ill. I've gotten the flu and other viruses too many times to count since childhood (last two years at the latest) and I don't have to tell how miserable it is to get sick like that because you probably already know. The thing is I sure wish I would never get the flu again and to hear how this Covid-19 can make you even sicker for longer periods of time is more sickening. We should not be glad or dismissive that the flu vaccine is not close to 100%, I think it is a dear shame honestly that we couldn't even get such a common virus under control over the decades. That and like the flu, Covid seems to be hit or miss, a true game of Russian Roulette. Four out of five people congregating may not feel symptoms but the fifth will get desperately ill and you can never know if you're going to be that fifth person. You may be the intrepid type but not everyone else is.

Old 08-23-2020, 07:07 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post

Fortunately, Massachusetts doesn’t listen to morons. I’m sure you’re more comfortable wherever you moved to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts