U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 07:08 PM

16,401 posts, read 29,247,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Mother in law should be getting discharged tomorrow. She’s still considered infectious and cannot drive. But she’s on the way to recovering.

I will be donning full tyvek suit, n95, glasses, and booties. Windows will be down. Can’t wait to see people’s reactions as I drive her home.
Good to hear from someone in the belly of the situation. Thank you for posting.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 07:38 PM

1,288 posts, read 632,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Our president can say all he wants but doesn't mean everyone is going to listen to him. The state and municipal governments are pretty much handling the crisis by themselves and it is up to the state governors, city mayors, and town administrators to really decide how to move forward in their respective jurisdictions. I just hope that the stock market doesn't crater like the last time he said something contrary to the truth.
The stock market is going to continue to crater as long as everything is shut down. But I'm not worried about that, I'm worried about the civil unrest that comes with 30% unemployment. Even if states ignore Trump's eventual call to end the quarantine, they will start to feel it when the riots start.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:22 PM

3,790 posts, read 2,334,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
The stock market is going to continue to crater as long as everything is shut down. But I'm not worried about that, I'm worried about the civil unrest that comes with 30% unemployment. Even if states ignore Trump's eventual call to end the quarantine, they will start to feel it when the riots start.
Even the fiercest bear markets have equally ripping relief rallies. VIX plummeting suggestions we might see one sooner than later, but I have a feeling Thursday's job report will be absolutely dismal triggering another leg down - we'll see. Either way, I could see us hitting lower lows low this year or next.

Massachusetts has reasonably robust safety nets, so I don't think we'll see much unrest. However, other states lack our economy, safety net, and leadership and they could very well have a problem on their hands ... especially if personal defaults elevate while corps get undeserving (IMO) bailouts.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:23 PM

3,790 posts, read 2,334,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

It seems like protecting people is no longer top priority.
Narrator: "it never really was"

Old 03-23-2020, 09:37 PM

8,924 posts, read 8,149,482 times
Violence against Asians is increasing nation wide.

Old 03-23-2020, 10:57 PM

11,312 posts, read 4,345,402 times
Quote:
The marijuana shops have been deemed essential businesses and will remain open.
I was wrong about this. Recreational marijuana is non-essential. Medical marijuana is essential.

The stores were jammed today and are expected to be tomorrow also as it will be the last day to get recreational marijuana.

Liquor stores are essential and will remain open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
He can flip the switch all he wants....at the end of 15 days, the people of this country may not want to go outside the way things are going.

some of the reports coming out of NYC are frightening and this is only the beginning. When 1000+ people are dying a day in the US, nobody is going to want to leave their house to go get a beer at the local bar or go see a movie when Netflix is safer.

To restart the economy is going to require confidence that going out and socializing won't put you in the hospital or worse.

This isn't just affecting older people.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/39-yea...-test-results/
https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/12-yea...anta-hospital/

Mike, it's insanity. I don't even know what to say. I was so disgusted watching the RI news briefing. It was repeated numerous times that only 4 people are hospitalized and tons of people are out of work.

Maybe there's only 4 because they are making sick people jump through hoops and not letting them go to the ER? This is apparently to protect health care workers. Over 2500 are quarantined at home.

Heck, in Providence, the police are not even responding to calls unless it's an emergency situation due to concerns about contracting the virus.

But, yeah, let's restart the economy.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:01 AM

636 posts, read 307,144 times
I read the stay at home advisory but I don't understand how that is different from what we've already been doing?

Old 03-24-2020, 04:40 AM

5,444 posts, read 2,351,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I am worried about that too. I do not think we can sustain this for longer than a few weeks.There just comes a point where we need to get back on with society more than we need to protect a few select folks (and it is just a few) as the death rate continues to remain around 1.2 to 1.5 in the USA.

I actually don't think the stock market is going to be that big of an issue. I am planning on buying up a lot the moment it seems we have turned a corner on this thing. I bet you will see a massive rally the first time the numbers appear to either be going down or not getting higher.

This is unlike most recessions as most people still have their money. The business is still there buy and large.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:59 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,977,970 times
Quote:
It was repeated numerous times that only 4 people are hospitalized and tons of people are out of work.

Maybe there's only 4 because they are making sick people jump through hoops and not letting them go to the ER? This is apparently to protect health care workers. Over 2500 are quarantined at home.
This is probably part of it.

I know that when my Mother-in-law was hospitalized, the state (not MA) continued to report no hospitalizations for about 3 days. She had told us that there were 3-5 additional people in the hospital with her that were presumed positive (and recently confirmed) however the media continued to report that everyone "was recovering at home". She was also denied testing when she initially went to the ER because she didn't meet certain criteria.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:07 AM

5,598 posts, read 2,916,701 times
I think we need to figure out how to keep the economy working, and how to intelligently manage mitigation while still keeping the economy working at some minimal level. The entire country can't just stay at home, indefinitely.

But it doesn't need to be all or nothing! For example...
1. Some businesses are clearly more critical than others. More critical ones can be actively and strongly encouraged to do what it takes to keep operating.
2. Some regions have much greater prevalence than others - these should use the strongest mitigation measures, while areas with low prevalence can use lighter mitigation measures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts