Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2020, 01:15 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,527,349 times

Advertisements

383 False positives found at a Boston based lab.

On another note I’m curious what will happen with Dorchester for example. That place got very hot due to having the redline and the close proximity to Boston. Some people enjoy it I guess, there’s some nice restaurants but if you don’t need to be near Boston there not a lot of reason to spend 600k on a condo there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 01:48 PM

14,191 posts, read 14,546,848 times
My son and his wife live in Andover and both work in downtown Boston. As soon as their son graduates High School (7 years from now) they will beat feet to Boston.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:06 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,286,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
They will if their job leaves (with or without them). See, it's all inter connected. You need the college students, and they need to be here, to keep employers interested in staying. Have to think a lot of the foreign immigration is because employers brought them here to work in the office and to work with the college students. If employers could get away with it, they would stick them in some flyover part of the country where it's a couple dollars a sqft for decent office space... or maybe just leave them in the country they are from. They wouldn't bring them here.
This continues to wrap around the 'nobody wants to live in Boston unless their job is walkably close' axle.

I think you also overestimate the need that established tech/finance corporations of the world have for proximity to college students. Students beat a path to their doors, not the other way around. These companies could have relocated employees years ago to flyover country if they wanted, and in many cases do have satellite offices all over, and yet they continue to set up some of their shop in specific areas like the greater Seattle, San Francisco, and Boston metros. That is, places like Amazon, Microsoft, and Intel aren't still hanging around Seattle because of the strong university pipeline. You are on the right track with 'getting away with it' -- why haven't companies relocated? My answer would be to look at the employees and what they want. If your talent doesn't want to live in flyover country, you're not going to relocate them.

Anyway, I've made my bet. I have no plans to sell my place at a lower cost, and neither a continued shutdown nor naysaying blogs and news articles banging the drums of the demise of urban living give me any pause on the wisdom my purchase. In the unlikely event I'd be forced to relocate by my employer, I'd just resign and hop on with another company who's fine with me living in Boston. I'm not unique or even all that rare in this regard.

Either way, we wandered way off track from Coronavirus.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:40 PM

17,116 posts, read 8,771,106 times
The reason why Boston is an expensive place to live is because of the colleges, sports, tourism, good jobs, etc.

When none of that is functioning properly, it becomes less desirable. That is a fact.

The demand may still be there in the best neighborhoods, but it's risky. With so much uncertainty with the virus, it's a huge gamble to buy now. A stupid bet, actually. There isn't a significant discount, so there's little to no upside....and plenty of potential downside.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:51 PM

5,974 posts, read 4,957,747 times
Can I get us back to the topic of the thread please?

Looks like 168 new cases, 8 deaths. I was really uncomfortable seeing the daily 300+ case counts...I do hope this starts to curve downward.

Old 09-08-2020, 03:55 PM

1,891 posts, read 1,375,825 times
With dashboard numbers like this, the already white hot Boston & Cambridge real estate market should continue to set price records into the fall.

Old 09-08-2020, 04:35 PM

2,321 posts, read 1,732,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Can I get us back to the topic of the thread please?

Looks like 168 new cases, 8 deaths. I was really uncomfortable seeing the daily 300+ case counts...I do hope this starts to curve downward.
Look at the number of tests, they were just slacking off over the labor day weekend. Gotta catch up.

Old 09-08-2020, 10:00 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,100,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
With dashboard numbers like this, the already white hot Boston & Cambridge real estate market should continue to set price records into the fall.
Yeah, your're probably right.

Good news is, as always, good news. And bad news causes Powell and crew to pull the liquidity lever, which equity markets love. Just make sure you're seated when and if the music stops.

Old 09-09-2020, 05:59 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,734,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
This continues to wrap around the 'nobody wants to live in Boston unless their job is walkably close' axle.

I think you also overestimate the need that established tech/finance corporations of the world have for proximity to college students. Students beat a path to their doors, not the other way around. These companies could have relocated employees years ago to flyover country if they wanted, and in many cases do have satellite offices all over, and yet they continue to set up some of their shop in specific areas like the greater Seattle, San Francisco, and Boston metros. That is, places like Amazon, Microsoft, and Intel aren't still hanging around Seattle because of the strong university pipeline. You are on the right track with 'getting away with it' -- why haven't companies relocated? My answer would be to look at the employees and what they want. If your talent doesn't want to live in flyover country, you're not going to relocate them.

Anyway, I've made my bet. I have no plans to sell my place at a lower cost, and neither a continued shutdown nor naysaying blogs and news articles banging the drums of the demise of urban living give me any pause on the wisdom my purchase. In the unlikely event I'd be forced to relocate by my employer, I'd just resign and hop on with another company who's fine with me living in Boston. I'm not unique or even all that rare in this regard.

Either way, we wandered way off track from Coronavirus.
It isn't really moving though. Everything these days is technology. Nearly every business should have a website or app.

I just saw this on a major tech app. I'm assuming he or she works for Amazon in Seattle.

"Significant chunk of my team members are permanently leaving Seattle and still collecting Seattle pay checks. My boss working from Hawaii and org VP embraced WFH saying 'at best' we will be a hybrid org. Other team members permanently moved to cheaper states. Over 90% of amazon employees want WFH in some form according to surveys. WFH is the future and it is here to stay. I ain't ever going back to the office and they can't make me. I bet in the future there will be a salary normalization cross USA and Canada and this will be a very good thing for all devs!"

Another

" I'm a manager at Amazon for a non-tech team. I'm heavily in favor of virtual roles. I personally hope I can manage remotely in the near future. My team, and I, have been remarkably productive in our remote state.

One of the most difficult barriers my hiring team faces is hiring to Seattle vs. the business. It's stupidly expense.

I'm a firm advocate of remote work where it makes sense. To much talent goes unrealized by focusing specifically to a geographic region."

And another
" I work for MS, I used to work in Redmond. I *hated* the PNW, I wouldn’t ever move back there. I said “either let me move or you’ll lose me”, and they did. That was several years ago.

This will become the new normal and will help Microsoft dramatically. Counter to most Seattleites’ opinions, most people in the US don’t want to actually live in the PNW. It’s so bad for HR recruiters that there’s actually a playbook they created to try to talk people in to moving up there.

If MS allows for remote work it’ll absolutely help them get employees that they’d never otherwise have a shot at."

Keep on mind many have offices around the world and having a hq doesn't mean the bulk of the people are there.
Putting everything in one place doesn't make any sense. Even mass has regional stare offices. The feds don't have everything in DC etc

Old 09-09-2020, 07:42 AM

5,974 posts, read 4,957,747 times
Guys--discussion of the MA/Boston real estate markets belongs in a separate thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts