Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2020, 08:20 AM

1,359 posts, read 863,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I would argue that most of the country that is being denied state does get by. Granted just because we have a program that does not necessarily mean that it's glamorous. Public housing and homeless shelters are not luxury housing. The basics of what we have is already established. We don't have starvation in this country but we do have a serious obesity problem. I'm not saying that it is easy to lose weight. Everybody has clothes, everybody has access to water and everybody has some food.

Now having said that food can be subjective about whether or not it's junk food and if you live in a food desert. Access of fresh fruits and vegetables is not always the shirt especially more remote areas. With respect to water not all communities have fluoride and that might not sound like much at first but you try telling that to a family of four with two kids have to get prices at $5,000 each. just like everybody has electricity but not everybody has direct access to 220. Why is that important well if you want to drive some type of electric car that's going to certainly help with charging.

we have Romneycare, we have Obamacare so I think I covered might not necessarily be the issue but as we continue to see millions of people that still smoke and millions that still eat junk food and millions that don't exercise.

With Healthcare being part of Health you have to look at the whole thing. I live in Springfield and I can go outside and walk and much of the area with ease. There are sidewalks and Street Lighting and bike Lanes. There are bosses for elderly people as well as fixed-route public transit. There's also farmers markets that go on year round. then add an access to two of some of the largest Healthcare systems in the the state and it adds up.

Didn't someone get predict this with the kid months back?

I'm not condoning the behavior but I think that some of this can be predicted. If you got parents that both have it and they don't have the real means to take care of the kid and work. The vaccine is easily months away and herd immunity isn't viable.
What the hell are you talking about? Have you ever lived or visited a real city? "Everybody has clothes, everybody has access to water and everybody has some food." What? A lot of people wear the same clothes every day. A lot of people live off dumpster scraps outside restaurants. A lot of people have no access to clean water.

And a lot of people don't have "Romneycare" or "Obamacare" or whatever you are calling it. You are not at all in touch with this nation's situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 08:53 AM

18,608 posts, read 33,176,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
What the hell are you talking about? Have you ever lived or visited a real city? "Everybody has clothes, everybody has access to water and everybody has some food." What? A lot of people wear the same clothes every day. A lot of people live off dumpster scraps outside restaurants. A lot of people have no access to clean water.

And a lot of people don't have "Romneycare" or "Obamacare" or whatever you are calling it. You are not at all in touch with this nation's situation.
Agreed.
Where I live, near Navajo reservations, there are many people who do not have any of the above except a (crowded) roof overhead. No water, no electric.

I lived with "Romneycare" in Massachusetts, had my own insurance through work, and thought it was a very good idea, as was affordable care act (Obamacare) and people fought tooth and nail about being required to have coverage, etc.

I'm sure the OP knows that obesity is often caused by eating crap food, high carbs and fats, and is still a form of malnutrition. Yes, very few protruding ribs/bulging bellies from kwashiorkor or calorie deficit but certainly not a sign of good food access.

I've worked in the human service field in the city for many years and am well aware of what is and isn't missing for people. I read the other day of a 20-year-old woman in Miami, working minimum wage at Taco Bell and pregnant, and becoming homeless. Part of throws my hands up and knows, of course you're poor, and you will be poor and it's all impossible. Part of me wants this not to be case.

Old 09-18-2020, 01:07 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,527,349 times
That Attleboro High story is all over the news. I hope that family is run out of town.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:59 PM

15,780 posts, read 21,287,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
We really have no idea what the parents situation is. I cannot fathom anyone getting corona and being afraid of taking time off. It would be illegal for a company to fire someone for needing to take time off. For all we know these parents had jobs where they were working from home. And who cares what the parents situation is? It’s the kid who should have been staying home. A 9th grader is normally 14 or 15, maybe they were even older. They should babe been able to stay home alone. It’s common decency and manners. Stop making excuses for it. None of them gave a damn about exposing hundreds of others.

And yes these situations will make it hard to move anything forward.

Just because it's illegal doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I see it all the time within the young adult cancer community. When I got sick, I became friends with someone else who was my age (22/23, less than a year out of college) who was on the same chemo schedule as me. He was fired from his job when he started needing to take time off to deal with his stage III colon cancer. Illegal? Yes. But if you're young and/or poor, you likely don't have the resources to fight it.

So he spent 6 months of chemo stocking shelves at Whole Foods, including going back to work days after major abdominal surgery. He never told any of his coworkers or management about his illness for fear that they would fire him.

This isn't uncommon, especially in the service industry or entry level work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I've worked in the human service field in the city for many years and am well aware of what is and isn't missing for people. I read the other day of a 20-year-old woman in Miami, working minimum wage at Taco Bell and pregnant, and becoming homeless. Part of throws my hands up and knows, of course you're poor, and you will be poor and it's all impossible. Part of me wants this not to be case.

People truly have no idea. I flirted with homelessness while going through cancer. I had done everything right: went to a top school on a full scholarship, worked internships and jobs, saved money, lived frugally. And yet even with insurance, cancer treatment cost me more in 6 months than my entire take home salary for the year... and I had only been working for 4 months at the time. My doctor told me to take a leave from work, but I couldn't afford to live while working full time. I certainly couldn't afford to live with a 4 month unpaid FMLA benefit - and I wouldn't have even qualified for FMLA because I had been in my job for less than a year!

When I spoke about my challenges, people asked why I didn't apply for charity help, talk to my synagogue, or go on disability. I tried all of the above, and help was in short supply due to need outstripping donations and disability payments from the government very difficult to achieve, and not available for people with short term disability. I remember lining up at a food bank wearing a mask because of my immune system on the day after chemo, and also remember having to choose which prescription to fill because my credit cards were maxed and I couldn't afford all of them.

That was the single most formative experience of my life that paints most of my motivations - financially, professionally, and politically - today. And unless someone has lived it, they have no idea how close many people are to the edge and how difficult it is to claw your way back to the side of the living.

Old 09-18-2020, 03:09 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,286,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Just because it's illegal doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. I see it all the time within the young adult cancer community. When I got sick, I became friends with someone else who was my age (22/23, less than a year out of college) who was on the same chemo schedule as me. He was fired from his job when he started needing to take time off to deal with his stage III colon cancer. Illegal? Yes. But if you're young and/or poor, you likely don't have the resources to fight it.

So he spent 6 months of chemo stocking shelves at Whole Foods, including going back to work days after major abdominal surgery. He never told any of his coworkers or management about his illness for fear that they would fire him.

This isn't uncommon, especially in the service industry or entry level work.
This, and it's not even just poor/lower-wage workers.

I've worked the same day after anethesia/invasive surgery because I had no choice. I've had wrist surgery and was typing on a keyboard within 24 hours to stay on management's good side. I've boarded flights with a 104 fever because work refused to postpone.

Even if you can win, fighting it takes more time, effort, and money than sucking it up and working through injury/recovery/illness. Employers know this, and employees know this.

Old 09-19-2020, 05:13 AM

448 posts, read 278,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
That Attleboro High story is all over the news. I hope that family is run out of town.
They could be - similar to Pelosis hair salon owner, that said she got death threats and is bailing out of her location....

Old 09-19-2020, 08:50 AM

7,912 posts, read 7,734,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Agreed.
Where I live, near Navajo reservations, there are many people who do not have any of the above except a (crowded) roof overhead. No water, no electric.

I lived with "Romneycare" in Massachusetts, had my own insurance through work, and thought it was a very good idea, as was affordable care act (Obamacare) and people fought tooth and nail about being required to have coverage, etc.

I'm sure the OP knows that obesity is often caused by eating crap food, high carbs and fats, and is still a form of malnutrition. Yes, very few protruding ribs/bulging bellies from kwashiorkor or calorie deficit but certainly not a sign of good food access.

This is the mass forum not the Midwest. Everyone has clothes in Mass, no one is naked. Even in Springfield I never see anyone looking for food in dumpsters. We have wic and ebt etc. Cans and scrap metal sure but not food.

Are there homeless? Yes but there are shelters and outreach during the winter to get people inside. That's more about drug addiction and mental health.

Old 09-19-2020, 09:41 AM

18,608 posts, read 33,176,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
This is the mass forum not the Midwest. Everyone has clothes in Mass, no one is naked. Even in Springfield I never see anyone looking for food in dumpsters. We have wic and ebt etc. Cans and scrap metal sure but not food.

Are there homeless? Yes but there are shelters and outreach during the winter to get people inside. That's more about drug addiction and mental health.
Yes, I know. I lived in the Boston area for 45 years and worked in mental health.

By the way, the Navajo nation is not the Midwest. This is SW Colorado.

Old 09-19-2020, 03:29 PM

3,961 posts, read 5,702,373 times
We just eclipsed 500 daily cases according to today's counts. The number of Covid-19 patients in hospitals is going up as well.

Old 09-19-2020, 03:38 PM

17,116 posts, read 8,771,106 times
During last night's Red Sox broadcast, Big Papi said he had COVID. He was asymptomatic and is now testing negative, but he said his brother got it also...and bad. The brother was in the hospital for a week and lost 25 pounds. Papi wanted to tell the viewers that this thing is no joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts