Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2020, 11:33 AM

17,668 posts, read 9,155,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The hotspots are lower income areas with high density housing and public transportation.
Geoff, your town is a covid hotspot. Explain that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2020, 11:53 AM

16,291 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Oh, well I'm convinced now. The virus situation has been contained in Chicago!
Well if he is a PhD in a science/pharma field and he THINKS it's contained but it really isn't then this is why we shouldn't always trust people who work in science.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:09 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I have some peers in management positions in other states. It's interesting when we talk and catch up how each region is doing things differently.

For instance, at my company, many are on remote work until at least Jan 2021, and it's looking like even beyond that. No real push to bring people back.

Meanwhile, friends in other states have their top management looking to bring people back 100% ASAP, and they've even had to make a case to push back against it. I believe after deferring 2-3 times they are now 100% in-person, and their state is one that is currently seeing a lot of cases.
This is why I'll never fall into the 'trap' of moving to a moderate to progressive city isolated in a deeply conservative state. This pandemic highlighted how state-level leadership and culture can positively or negatively impact individual and corporate actions.

Newsom, Inslee, and moderate 'RINOs' like Baker and Hogan have managed the pandemic reasonably well, largely adhering to data-driven actions. Meanwhile, Trump sycophants like DeSantis, Reeves, Stitt, etc. have absolutely butchered the response in an effort to maintain the executive admin narrative ... truly poor leadership.

Granted, the electorate shares some responsibility for the leadership within. Yes another reason to not live in these locals.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:15 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Well if he is a PhD in a science/pharma field and he THINKS it's contained but it really isn't then this is why we shouldn't always trust people who work in science.
I've worked with enough PhD's to know that you should listen to them when they talk about their field of study, but then take things with a grain of salt when they try and discuss topics outside of that area of expertise. Very rarely do I find one that has comprehensive all-around knowledge.

In other words, and to put it bluntly, some of the most-intelligent people I know, are also the dumbest.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
It directly abuts a low income hotspot which he is verbatim outlining.

Old 10-20-2020, 12:33 PM

17,668 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
It directly abuts a low income hotspot which he is verbatim outlining.

And yet it has only recently become a covid hotspot. Try again, son.

Here's a hint: UMass Dartmouth

Old 10-20-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
And yet it has only recently become a covid hotspot. Try again, son.

Here's a hint: UMass Dartmouth
Yes, and UMass Dartmouth is high density with a majority commuter student body. Care to guess where they might be commuting from?

Geoff was speaking to low density white collar 'burbs ... what point are you trying to make?

Old 10-20-2020, 01:51 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
hmm not sure why they said it's contained then. The guy who said it has a PhD and works in science so he didn't just fall off the turnip truck as far as I can tell.
This is wishful thinking and/or all relative. It's not contained anywhere except maybe Vermont and Hawaii. It would be easy to say that it's contained in Massachusetts relative to Texas, for example.

Old 10-20-2020, 01:57 PM

16,291 posts, read 8,126,207 times
maybe it's contained in his neighborhood.

Old 10-20-2020, 02:01 PM

12,818 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I've worked with enough PhD's to know that you should listen to them when they talk about their field of study, but then take things with a grain of salt when they try and discuss topics outside of that area of expertise. Very rarely do I find one that has comprehensive all-around knowledge.

In other words, and to put it bluntly, some of the most-intelligent people I know, are also the dumbest.
I work with several PhDs (and other Docs) and this is my experience as well. I'd take it one step further and say that PhDs (in my experience) are often less knowledgeable about topics outside of their field of study than the average person. Huge generalization of course, and each of them is certainly "smart" by most definitions. But it takes a lot of time and focus to earn a PhD. And between the years of study (often combined with a full-time job and even a family), there's not a lot of spare time or mental capacity to dig really deep into off topic subjects as their world and interests are usually very centered around their field of study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts