Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2020, 08:40 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
Im no scientist. I havent seen all the data.

I havent seen inside a school either. Im assuming the desks are far from each other, everyones wearing a mask, plastic barriers everywhere. People kind of scared of things.

With all that in palce, how can there be an increased spread from that? Couldnt it be related to grocery stores, other stores, etc...?
We touched upon this a few pages back. Right now, it does appear that the biggest group to see an increase is the 20 and under group, but they are also one of the more heavily tested groups requiring tests if they experience any illness in order to return to school/daycare and colleges in general are actively testing.

My thinking, and I am basing this off anecdotal data (because my family has a lot of teachers in different school systems so I hear all this info) so take it with a grain of salt, is that the spread isn't widespread peer-to-peer spread in schools, but household spread where the children are catching this from parents, who are more likely to be actively out and about going to stores or mixing with other people, and who do not undergo as extensive of a testing program.

I do know of a few cases where kids (siblings actually) tested positive in school and it was discovered their parents were also positive. No in school transmission occurred, but was never clear as to who had the virus first - child or parent.

Again...no data, just a hunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 08:42 AM

16,296 posts, read 8,126,207 times
So exhausting hearing where the spread is happening. All i know is that numbers were very low all summer, then school and sports opened and numbers increased which shouldn't be surprising. Is that a reason to just close them again? There's also less outdoor activities happening and I think there's some exhaustion from all of this and people are letting their guard down as has been stated many times before. Like many issues in this country of late, I feel like the divide between differing positions is exacerbated when people limit their discussions to like-minded others rather than respectfully engaging with people who disagree.

I understand that people are afraid of Covid. It’s a serious disease. But ultimately this is a balancing act- a balance between protecting people from Covid and protecting our children from the consequences of not being in school. Everyone has their own risk/benefit calculus and I respect that some families have greater concern than I do- some have vulnerable family members who could easily die if exposed to Covid. But many of us do not. For some of us, the relatively minimal risk of exposure is worth the benefits to our kids of in person learning.Why can’t I make that decision for my family? Remote learning is available for those who are concerned- why isn’t full-day learning available for those who are less so? the balance needs to shift away from fear and toward full school days— for those of us comfortable with them.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:43 AM

448 posts, read 282,047 times
I can understand 20 somethings spreading it - (if I were 20, Id want to go out too). I can see 30 somethings too, passing it on to their kids, sure, and then to school.

I know Baker will **** off 50% of the population no matter what he does so I feel bad for that. I don't have a good answer as to how to control this, except close everything (which causes even more problems), so we just keep swimming. :/

Old 11-10-2020, 08:46 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
I can understand 20 somethings spreading it - (if I were 20, Id want to go out too). I can see 30 somethings too, passing it on to their kids, sure, and then to school.

I know Baker will **** off 50% of the population no matter what he does so I feel bad for that. I don't have a good answer as to how to control this, except close everything (which causes even more problems), so we just keep swimming. :/
Exactly. School needs to open and entertainment venues can close. Education is more important than having a good time.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:57 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
We touched upon this a few pages back. Right now, it does appear that the biggest group to see an increase is the 20 and under group, but they are also one of the more heavily tested groups requiring tests if they experience any illness in order to return to school/daycare and colleges in general are actively testing.

My thinking, and I am basing this off anecdotal data (because my family has a lot of teachers in different school systems so I hear all this info) so take it with a grain of salt, is that the spread isn't widespread peer-to-peer spread in schools, but household spread where the children are catching this from parents, who are more likely to be actively out and about going to stores or mixing with other people, and who do not undergo as extensive of a testing program.

I do know of a few cases where kids (siblings actually) tested positive in school and it was discovered their parents were also positive. No in school transmission occurred, but was never clear as to who had the virus first - child or parent.

Again...no data, just a hunch.

My observation is that the only people I see outdoors in groups without masks are under-18. I would guess they're doing the same thing indoors. I'm aware of colleges doing frequent testing. I'm not aware of that level of testing for K-12. I suspect you have it backwards.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:00 AM

17,665 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Everyone has their own risk/benefit calculus and I respect that some families have greater concern than I do- some have vulnerable family members who could easily die if exposed to Covid. But many of us do not. For some of us, the relatively minimal risk of exposure is worth the benefits to our kids of in person learning.Why can’t I make that decision for my family?
Didn't you tell us that you and your family visited (and stayed with) your elderly parents every weekend during the summer?

Old 11-10-2020, 09:01 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
My observation is that the only people I see outdoors in groups without masks are under-18. I would guess they're doing the same thing indoors. I'm aware of colleges doing frequent testing. I'm not aware of that level of testing for K-12. I suspect you have it backwards.
I wouldnt underestimate the amount of household get togethers happening amongst older people. People who think oh someone in my family or close social circle wouldn't have covid.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:03 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Didn't you tell us that you and your family visited (and stayed with) your elderly parents every weekend during the summer?
sure did. I wouldn't call my parents elderly, lol. They are very healthy. What does that have to do with school opening? My whole point above was I do not have vulnerable family members. Just because someone is simply older doesn't mean they will die from corona if they get it.

Old 11-10-2020, 09:12 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not the same level of testing, but I've seen young kids go home with a runny nose where day care requires a test to return. Same with elementary schools where any sort of illness requires a test. We tested one of our children last week for a 1-day stomach bug. It's certainly not widespread like college testing is, but the possibility is there for a child who is not in remote learning to need a test at some point this school year if they develop any sort of more common ailment.

I've also seen plenty of older people conversing with each other without a mask, even since last Friday's updated Mask rule went into effect. I agree that young people are probably the worse, but I wouldn't say that older people are all following the rules. Just this AM I saw a HVAC/plumbing truck show up at my neighbors house with 3 guys sitting across the front bench not wearing masks and the windows up.

But like I said, all a hunch. I have no data to back it up and I could be completely off here.

Quote:
I wouldnt underestimate the amount of household get togethers happening amongst older people. People who think oh someone in my family or close social circle wouldn't have covid.
My parents think this is no big deal and are having get-togethers regularly now. A couple weeks ago they hosted my nephew's 1st bday part indoors, in which they invited people outside of our immediate family circle. My wife and I actually abstained from going to this event, which caused some family drama unfortunately. Our absence was really more for their benefit (because we are actively out and about and do not get tested regularly) and not ours, but apparently they don't care. I would be devastated if my family gave it to my parents (mid 60's) and something were to happen. Literally a couple days later one of our kids was sent home from school vomiting for a good chunk of the day which prompted testing. Had he been possitive, that would have been about 20 people that he would have exposed just a few days prior if contagious. Even with this "near-miss" i'm still on the ****-list for not attending.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 11-10-2020 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-10-2020, 09:15 AM

17,665 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Everyone has their own risk/benefit calculus and I respect that some families have greater concern than I do- some have vulnerable family members who could easily die if exposed to Covid. But many of us do not. For some of us, the relatively minimal risk of exposure is worth the benefits to our kids of in person learning.Why can’t I make that decision for my family?
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Quote:
sure did. I wouldn't call my parents elderly, lol. They are very healthy. What does that have to do with school opening? My whole point above was I do not have vulnerable family members. Just because someone is simply older doesn't mean they will die from corona if they get it.

Yes you do!!!!

Quote:
I am 42 with parents in their 60's/70's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts