Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2020, 01:47 PM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Are these hourly employees? I don't understand why someone would behave this way unless a temp leave is financially disruptive.
Correct, hourly manufacturing.

But like I said before, we do have a mechanism in place to pay people to stay home if they check off certain boxes. The company has been communicating this since March. These persons were able to do so, and didn't. I don't know why and not my place to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm surprised so many people are even going into the office. Unless you have your own office or work with a very small group it seems risky especially if you're there for 8 hours.
We have manufacturing on-site, and product demand has been through the roof all year long, so there are incentives to be at work to get product out the door. This isn't so much my group, as I am in the R&D group (and we can stay home as needed), but we have a large manufacturing presence here in MA that is in all 5 days a week. But like I also said, we do pay people (hourly manufacturing who need to be on site to work) to stay home if there is risk. All you need to do is alert HR that you fall under certain criteria and you get to stay home and get paid. It's cheaper for the company to pay an individual here and there to remain at home, vs deal with a facility-wide shutdown. There has been no in-office transmission to date.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 11-16-2020 at 02:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2020, 02:11 PM

16,346 posts, read 8,162,213 times
https://www.wcvb.com/article/grim-wa...ember/34685062

yikes

Old 11-16-2020, 02:20 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,037,189 times
The big spreader seems to be multiple-household get togethers. I don't see how limiting restaurants even further--without an industry-wide bailout, as other countries have done who have stricter rules--is going to help.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:22 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:

The number is scary but the sad thing is, this is still probably less than in March/April. The epidemiologists are work believe we were likely running at least 10X more actual cases than positive tests. That would put us closer to 30,000 a day at peak.

But less appetite for a slow-down than March/April, too.

I was shocked to learn today that BU plans on having students come back after Thanksgiving. I thought that all schools were going remote only at that point.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:40 PM

943 posts, read 409,951 times
Quote:
If you are gathering for the holidays with family this year, you might consider gifting them burial plots or urns. Sorry - dark humor. But I was shown disturbing images on smoker lungs, gangrene, amputated legs shown in schools to discourage smoking.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:45 PM

17,708 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Last night on the NBC Nightly News, they said they are urging everyone nationwide to cancel Thanksgiving plans.

Old 11-16-2020, 02:53 PM

17,708 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
Redplum, so what is your goal/hope? My goal/hope is to curb cases until vaccines and better treatment. That news (and yes, I saw the 7 day reports!) was pretty much more than anybody could have hoped for (and yes, probably better than it will work in the long run) - and if it helps convince some people that it's worth distancing and mask wearing for a few more months, I am all for it. If there is no hope of a vaccine and better treatment - well than we better invest in cremation centers and PTSD treatment for medical providers.

I believe the opposite is happening. "Screw it, we'll have the vaccine soon."

Old 11-16-2020, 03:08 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I believe the opposite is happening. "Screw it, we'll have the vaccine soon."
Likewise, if those same people were told a vaccine was impossible and that this would be going on for another 2 years, they'd just say "screw it, gonna die someday anyway."

There is nothing that can be said at this point to get individual people to take it more or less seriously than they currently are. Nobody's minds are going to be changed 8 months in and certainly nobody's going to be scared straight into being more cautious.

Old 11-16-2020, 04:02 PM

943 posts, read 409,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
The number is scary but the sad thing is, this is still probably less than in March/April. The epidemiologists are work believe we were likely running at least 10X more actual cases than positive tests. That would put us closer to 30,000 a day at peak.
Nope - covid wastewater data (covid is excreted in your poop, whether you get tested or not!) in MA now is the same as it was at the spring peak in MA - which was 3 weeks or so AFTER lockdown started. http://www.mwra.com/biobot/biobotdata.htm Even if a lockdown were started right now - cases will keep increasing for several weeks - so we are in really, really bad shape, and people don't seem to realize it.

Old 11-16-2020, 06:26 PM

16,346 posts, read 8,162,213 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Last night on the NBC Nightly News, they said they are urging everyone nationwide to cancel Thanksgiving plans.
I think people have been cancelling their 'normal' Thanksgiving plans since August. And Christmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts