Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2020, 02:31 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I just saw New Hampshire orders mask mandate amid rise of coronavirus cases and hospitalizations.

They didn't already have a mask order in place?
Nope. "Live Free or Die"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 02:37 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
Nope. "Live Free or Die"
interesting, I read a story recently where an ice cream shop closed down because they got in trouble over not wearing masks. The owner refused to wear one while working.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/hea...3b9faaffe.html

Also i went to North Conway in September and everyone was wearing one.

Old 11-20-2020, 07:21 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
interesting, I read a story recently where an ice cream shop closed down because they got in trouble over not wearing masks. The owner refused to wear one while working.

https://www.unionleader.com/news/hea...3b9faaffe.html

Also i went to North Conway in September and everyone was wearing one.
My experience was that mask usage in the "tourist" areas, and southern NH was very good. But if you stray off the beaten path and go to a more rural or townie area, it was pretty abysmal.

I remember walking into a bagel place in such an area to get a coffee and nobody behind the counter wore a mask. They would pull their T-shirt up over their nose once in a while, but that was about it. I imagine such a place flies under the radar due to it's location and clientele.

Old 11-20-2020, 07:31 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
My experience was that mask usage in the "tourist" areas, and southern NH was very good. But if you stray off the beaten path and go to a more rural or townie area, it was pretty abysmal.

I remember walking into a bagel place in such an area to get a coffee and nobody behind the counter wore a mask. They would pull their T-shirt up over their nose once in a while, but that was about it. I imagine such a place flies under the radar due to it's location and clientele.
I have to say i do understand how working in the food industry over the summer and wearing a mask must not feel particularly good...especially if you're someone who gets hot easily or has trouble breathing. A few times when it was very hot and I had on a mask I felt very uncomfortable and I'm a fairly small female. A large person with asthma or something must hate masks.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:25 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

This was our experience as well in places like Moultonborough, Littleton, N. Conway, Lincoln, Portsmouth, etc. But we went to Errol, NH back in July and you would never know that there was a pandemic. Zero masks. We felt pretty stupid with ours on and we received a lot of "look at the idiots" glances, even inside the store and restaurant.

It didn't bother me too much though. I agree that sweeping adoption of Masks would be the best way to reduce spread while allowing some level of normalcy, but most of these towns in Northern New England (especially outside of the most touristy areas) hadn't seen the real impact of the virus like we have. I'm not saying I agree, but I understand the "it's a big city, blue state problem" mentality for most of the spring/summer. And frankly, in July, we were far more likely to bring the virus to these small towns than we were to pick it up there. So the masks stayed on even though it didn't feel great getting the odd looks.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:31 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Pfizer submitted the EUA today. PR says they can do 50M doses globally in 2020, which seems a lot.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...-authorization

Old 11-20-2020, 08:50 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
This was our experience as well in places like Moultonborough, Littleton, N. Conway, Lincoln, Portsmouth, etc. But we went to Errol, NH back in July and you would never know that there was a pandemic. Zero masks. We felt pretty stupid with ours on and we received a lot of "look at the idiots" glances, even inside the store and restaurant.

It didn't bother me too much though. I agree that sweeping adoption of Masks would be the best way to reduce spread while allowing some level of normalcy, but most of these towns in Northern New England (especially outside of the most touristy areas) hadn't seen the real impact of the virus like we have. I'm not saying I agree, but I understand the "it's a big city, blue state problem" mentality for most of the spring/summer. And frankly, in July, we were far more likely to bring the virus to these small towns than we were to pick it up there. So the masks stayed on even though it didn't feel great getting the odd looks.
New Hampshire was mask by local ordinance. The college towns and higher population density places like Portsmouth had local mask ordinances. We were on the Seacoast exactly once last summer when the South Coast had lousy weather and north of Boston was sunny. Those were all mask-required towns. Seems reasonable that North Conway and the lakes towns with all the tourists would have mask ordinances. You don’t want the plague people infecting the locals. I wasn’t tracking it.

Old 11-20-2020, 08:58 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Pfizer submitted the EUA today. PR says they can do 50M doses globally in 2020, which seems a lot.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-re...-authorization
It will be interesting to see how many doses the Andover plant can crank out. There won’t be much of a supply chain problem in New England with PFE in Andover and the Moderna contract manufacturer at Pease in Portsmouth NH. Maybe I’ll show up at the loading dock with my Igloo Playmate cooler and hope something falls off a truck. LOL

Old 11-20-2020, 09:18 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
New Hampshire was mask by local ordinance. The college towns and higher population density places like Portsmouth had local mask ordinances. We were on the Seacoast exactly once last summer when the South Coast had lousy weather and north of Boston was sunny. Those were all mask-required towns. Seems reasonable that North Conway and the lakes towns with all the tourists would have mask ordinances. You don’t want the plague people infecting the locals. I wasn’t tracking it.
What you're describing is *exactly* why local ordinances never work when it comes to getting people to change their behavior. You need something statewide, and like Baker finally did in early November, require it all the time in public. That helps people work it into their habits, e.g. every time they exit their vehicle, reach for your mask.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:25 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
What you're describing is *exactly* why local ordinances never work when it comes to getting people to change their behavior. You need something statewide, and like Baker finally did in early November, require it all the time in public. That helps people work it into their habits, e.g. every time they exit their vehicle, reach for your mask.
Agreed. Masks are routine for us at this point since we were in Somerville where you had to wear one outside, period. They're hanging on the key rack by the door (I have extras in my center console) and I don't step out without one. It's a no-brainer. My father and his girlfriend in Western ME / Eastern Shore of VA get extremely frustrated going places because they almost always have to double back to the car (or sometimes return home) after walking to the entrance of the store/restaurant/gas station, etc. without one. It's bizarre, but I think it's a pretty standard experience for many Americans. Statewide mandates ensure that it becomes a habit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts