Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2020, 07:40 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idontwanttocheckmymessage View Post
Thank you very much for your reply. Were you driving in a line of cars while waiting to get tested, or were you parked in a spot and waiting?
You get into a line of cars, not a parking lot. You can't miss it - it's fairly well marked, you can see the line, and there is a police detail. They move it along in waves. When you reach the front of the line, they split the cars into two lanes. Once you've been split into one of the two lines, you'll stop at the first tent where they'll verify your appointment and info before telling you to go to the second tent. At the second tent, you'll blow your nose and do a self-swab. That's it. I've been twice (most recently Monday, 11/23) and I was out in under an hour. I'm not sure if it's better or worse, but I have an appointment for Thurs 12/3, so we'll see.

If you do go, and you're coming from the South on route 1A, I'd suggest ignoring the GPS (which will likely have you turn right on Furlong Drive) and instead, turn right onto Tomasello Way. The address for the testing site is Furlong Drive, but the cars line up (pointing North) along Tomasello Way across from the Verizon Store and past the main entrance to Suffolk Downs. If you go this way, you'l naturally approach the back of the line and you can just pull right in. If you go down Furlong, you'll see the line, but you'll have to turn right onto Tomasello, drive past the line, then make a U-Turn to get into line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2020, 07:49 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,139,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
There should be really good data about the first three vaccines by April-May when most of us will be eligible to receive a vaccine. The whole point is to vaccinate everyone so we achieve herd immunity even if the vaccine is only 70% effective. Personally, I’d rather not be in the first million. After there’s 3 months of data on 20 million people, it will be a lot more clear.
From everything I've read, the primary concern with mRNA vaccines is the potential to create an autoimmune/inflammatory reaction in some recipients ... seemingly temporary in the overwhelming majority. Actual numbers seem to be <2%, which may be a risk worth taking immediately if you fall within a demographic with high IFR numbers. A similar approach has been used in oncology for quite some time, so it's not as if mRNA is a complete unknown.

As a mostly healthy 30-something, I'll let the data roll in on the first couple hundred thousand recipients prior to rolling up a sleeve. Healthcare workers, high risk demographics, etc. will obviously be first in line so, as you state, there should be plenty of data once rolled out to the general public.

Alternatively, the Oxford vaccine is not mRNA based, so those wishing to lower their risk of infection without the perceived risk of mRNA unknowns do have an option.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 11-30-2020 at 08:00 AM..

Old 11-30-2020, 10:05 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
From everything I've read, the primary concern with mRNA vaccines is the potential to create an autoimmune/inflammatory reaction in some recipients ... seemingly temporary in the overwhelming majority. Actual numbers seem to be <2%, which may be a risk worth taking immediately if you fall within a demographic with high IFR numbers. A similar approach has been used in oncology for quite some time, so it's not as if mRNA is a complete unknown.

As a mostly healthy 30-something, I'll let the data roll in on the first couple hundred thousand recipients prior to rolling up a sleeve. Healthcare workers, high risk demographics, etc. will obviously be first in line so, as you state, there should be plenty of data once rolled out to the general public.

Alternatively, the Oxford vaccine is not mRNA based, so those wishing to lower their risk of infection without the perceived risk of mRNA unknowns do have an option.
This is correct, and the immune response is likely due to the lipid nanoparticle (LPN) formulation that is used to encapsulate and deliver the mRNA.

Old 11-30-2020, 10:33 AM

79 posts, read 87,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
You get into a line of cars, not a parking lot. You can't miss it - it's fairly well marked, you can see the line, and there is a police detail. They move it along in waves. When you reach the front of the line, they split the cars into two lanes. Once you've been split into one of the two lines, you'll stop at the first tent where they'll verify your appointment and info before telling you to go to the second tent. At the second tent, you'll blow your nose and do a self-swab. That's it. I've been twice (most recently Monday, 11/23) and I was out in under an hour. I'm not sure if it's better or worse, but I have an appointment for Thurs 12/3, so we'll see.

If you do go, and you're coming from the South on route 1A, I'd suggest ignoring the GPS (which will likely have you turn right on Furlong Drive) and instead, turn right onto Tomasello Way. The address for the testing site is Furlong Drive, but the cars line up (pointing North) along Tomasello Way across from the Verizon Store and past the main entrance to Suffolk Downs. If you go this way, you'l naturally approach the back of the line and you can just pull right in. If you go down Furlong, you'll see the line, but you'll have to turn right onto Tomasello, drive past the line, then make a U-Turn to get into line.
Thank you - this is so helpful!

Old 11-30-2020, 11:14 AM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
Are you saying there is a risk of getting the actual virus from the vaccine?

Old 11-30-2020, 11:16 AM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Are you saying there is a risk of getting the actual virus from the vaccine?
I believe he is talking about the risk of an inflammation response (similar to a flu shot).

Old 11-30-2020, 12:13 PM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default re

RI is in shutdown mode:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/coron...tdown/2243677/

Old 11-30-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
I believe he is talking about the risk of an inflammation response (similar to a flu shot).
Correct, and specifically if it were severe enough to aggravate an existing health condition.

The current data suggests risks are low, but people will undoubtedly freak out if they experience a severe immune response, even if temporary and expected.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:21 PM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I'm surprised to come in here and not see discussion around Black Friday shopping.

I don't know about all you, but I was out and about on Friday trying to do a few errands and found stores to be packed. I did go to Lowes, and it was the busiest I've seen since Feb. There was a huge congregation in the Xmas aisles.

I also drove to a few other stores, but parking was crazy so I decided not to go in. I would have made this same decision in years past.

I was just amazed at the number of people out and about in stores at least in my neck of the woods along Rt95/Rt1 north of Boston. I figured more people would turn to online shopping now than ever before.

Old 11-30-2020, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I'm surprised to come in here and not see discussion around Black Friday shopping.

I don't know about all you, but I was out and about on Friday trying to do a few errands and found stores to be packed. I did go to Lowes, and it was the busiest I've seen since Feb. There was a huge congregation in the Xmas aisles.

I also drove to a few other stores, but parking was crazy so I decided not to go in. I would have made this same decision in years past.

I was just amazed at the number of people out and about in stores at least in my neck of the woods along Rt95/Rt1 north of Boston. I figured more people would turn to online shopping now than ever before.
My local Catholic church had to have 200+ people pouring out and only a tiny fraction were wearing masks. Seems certain segments of our society has decided the pandemic is over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts