Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2020, 01:40 PM

448 posts, read 282,047 times

Advertisements

I wish the federal govt would come in and bail out restaurants. I feel bad for them - told to close, then they can open, but need restrictions put in place... They spend oodles of $, and still get limited....

I heard NY closed indoor dining effective Sunday (or immediately).

If that happens in Massachusetts, Im sure a lot of places would close and never re-open.

I had a friend in Australia, who was selling off what he had in the fridge/freezer of his establishment, since he was closed. I think there were places here in Mass that were selling <anything> they could, to make ends meet. (My town had a place that was selling beer, alcohol, etc... along with the meals).

If they do that again, Im more than happy to buy, say, a pizza, appetizer, and drinks (to go).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 01:41 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
I think more than half the people commenting on this are full of it. I travel all over Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont for work. It’s been pretty much business as usual in Massachusetts and New Hampshire for months now. All this holier than thou attitudes and claims of self isolation are bunk to me. I have a really hard time believing 90% of it.

For myself, I’ve had two occasions where I dined inside. Once in August at Kelly’s in Saugus and once in October a diner in Watertown. But for me that’s not out of my ordinary, I’m not a big eating out person. I have been inside of my friends homes, they have been inside mine. I have been to different states on the East Coast and no I do not quarantine. I wear my mask where required, I will not wear one while out walking or anywhere outside frankly. Both my kids play travel hockey ( the horror) and we are all over Massachusetts every weekend.

With the amount of people I see on a daily basis , I believe that most people are behaving similarly to me. I look at the data and where the majority of the cases are and feel comfortable living how I am.
I’m sure there will be some negative responses to this. But I do what I do and will keep doing it.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post
I wish the federal govt would come in and bail out restaurants. I feel bad for them - told to close, then they can open, but need restrictions put in place... They spend oodles of $, and still get limited....

If that happens in Massachusetts, Im sure a lot of places would close and never re-open.

I had a friend in Australia, who was selling off what he had in the fridge/freezer of his establishment, since he was closed. I think there were places here in Mass that were selling <anything> they could, to make ends meet. (My town had a place that was selling beer, alcohol, etc... along with the meals).

If they do that again, Im more than happy to buy, say, a pizza, appetizer, and drinks (to go).
There was a pizza shop in my area that refused to close back in March. The owner did quite well for himself for a couple months.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:43 PM

16,306 posts, read 8,126,207 times
The restaurant industry has always been a tough business to be in and people know this before they get into it. Some plaecs do better than others. Same goes for salons. When things get bad in the economy people cut back on going out to eat (even takeout) and getting salon services. This is different, but I don't know people think the government has money to hand out to these places.

Old 12-11-2020, 01:48 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I think more than half the people commenting on this are full of it. I travel all over Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont for work. It’s been pretty much business as usual in Massachusetts and New Hampshire for months now. All this holier than thou attitudes and claims of self isolation are bunk to me. I have a really hard time believing 90% of it.

For myself, I’ve had two occasions where I dined inside. Once in August at Kelly’s in Saugus and once in October a diner in Watertown. But for me that’s not out of my ordinary, I’m not a big eating out person. I have been inside of my friends homes, they have been inside mine. I have been to different states on the East Coast and no I do not quarantine. I wear my mask where required, I will not wear one while out walking or anywhere outside frankly. Both my kids play travel hockey ( the horror) and we are all over Massachusetts every weekend.

With the amount of people I see on a daily basis , I believe that most people are behaving similarly to me. I look at the data and where the majority of the cases are and feel comfortable living how I am.
I’m sure there will be some negative responses to this. But I do what I do and will keep doing it.
Right, I still can't believe the amount of flack I got for having my parents and aunt over for Thanksgiving. Oh and my son plays hockey. I should be burned at the stake meanwhile others are walking around knowingly having corona, going to weddings, parties, traveling because they can.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:01 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtolpin View Post

I actually think we got take-out more back in April/Mar than we ever had as a way to support local businesses. They actually got pretty creative in how they would market. Local farms would put together "kits" of essentials like milk, eggs, bread and other food and you could buy it and even have it delivered.

My wife was finding local people putting together homemade kits of items for kids to do while in isolation back in the spring. Many of these people were laid off at the time and trying to get money for essentials. Pretty sure I still have a few of those packs kicking around still.

I must admit, summer kinda went back to normal it seems. People were out and about all over. I saw plenty of restaurants packed to the point I couldn't even find parking to go inside myself. I still see it like this. I went to a few stores yesterday and they were PACKED. I still hear commercials on the radio proclaiming "Are you bored in quarantine?" and just laugh.

If they do go back to closures like that, the (Federal) gov't should extend some sort of assistance to those businesses. They bailed out the airlines back in March with $25billion. They bailed out GM and Chrysler in 2009 when nobody was buying cars. Ultimately if you want people to stay home, you need a way of supporting the (small)businesses that would fail as a result. Walmart and Home Depot do not need a bailout. They have been profiting all year. But then again, how far would $25B go in supporting every small business?

A shutdown would decimate those businesses and they may lose everything. I'd have to imagine that's the only reason they haven't been shut down completely yet by Baker. I can understand the anger and frustration when you build something up after years of hard work and an outside entity comes along and tells you that you must shutdown and pretty much lose it all. I was a union electrician for a few years. I've seen some people do crazy,malicious things when someone's job/livelihood is threatened. Lots of emotion.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:05 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:

Can you name specifically what you think people here are lying about?

Old 12-11-2020, 02:09 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Right, I still can't believe the amount of flack I got for having my parents and aunt over for Thanksgiving. Oh and my son plays hockey. I should be burned at the stake meanwhile others are walking around knowingly having corona, going to weddings, parties, traveling because they can.

Okay, so what's weird is that you had another post about Thanksgiving dinner, saying you didn't think it was a good idea but (for some reason, it's still unclear to me) you did not have a choice in who you hosted in your own home.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Can you name specifically what you think people here are lying about?
The claims of self isolation, not seeing friends , Family and what not. Just all of it for crying out loud. I think it’s all grandstanding and attention seeking. It’s very easy to be whatever you want on an anonymous Internet forum. Why be real when you can make yourself feel better by belittling others.

Old 12-11-2020, 02:47 PM

Default re

Quote:
The claims of self isolation, not seeing friends , Family and what not. Just all of it for crying out loud. I think it’s all grandstanding and attention seeking. It’s very easy to be whatever you want on an anonymous Internet forum. Why be real when you can make yourself feel better by belittling others.
Right, I don't see how this is possible in many cases unless someone is truly truly introverted. I'm fairly introverted and I've had a handful of people in home (not to mention the cable guy, someone delivering furniture etc over the past 8 months. Im surprised people even think it's a big deal to have their own parents in the house, i mean really? I think some just like to give others a hard time.

I've never even seen people be so angry over something like drunk driving which happens more than we think and is extremely selfish and can be deadly. And the giving people a pass for going to work with corona over someone who is perfectly healthy having parents over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts