Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2020, 08:28 AM

17,676 posts, read 9,155,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
For some reason I thought the curfew meant all stores had to close by 9:30 but apparently not. I went to Walmart last night closer to 10:30 and it was open. Even the McDonalds I went by had cars in line at the drive thru.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Curfew == "last call" for alcohol, pretty much.

Incorrect, Geoff.

The new restrictions don't start until tomorrow (Sunday).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 03:04 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Up to 1670 in hospitalized now. Comparable to Early June.

Old 12-12-2020, 03:19 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,097,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Can you explain to me why we should place a higher value on your own credibility (on this anonymous forum), than the people you are accusing of lying?
You don’t have to at all. You don’t have to believe anything I say. Just like I find 90% of the crap people spew on here ridiculous and grandstanding.

Old 12-12-2020, 05:46 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Looking more and more likely that a lockdown is coming...according to this article, by Jan 1 (cynical observation--right after the Christmas shopping season). An interesting statistic is cited--Positivity rate among people getting tested for the first time, is up from 10% --> 20% over the past 2 weeks.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/12/...down-by-jan-1/

Old 12-12-2020, 05:57 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
I really don’t understand the January 1st lockdown rumors. I’ve heard it a bunch the past few days, from the same unreliable channels that have been wrong every step of the way. Now it’s in the Globe? Did they just pick up the rumor mill, or was this seeded from somewhere?

If there is any validity to this, it really does fuel the fire that the lockdowns have more to do with PR than anything. If a strict lockdown is needed, and we know this now, why wait nearly 3 weeks to implement? It makes no sense.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:12 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I really don’t understand the January 1st lockdown rumors. I’ve heard it a bunch the past few days, from the same unreliable channels that have been wrong every step of the way. Now it’s in the Globe? Did they just pick up the rumor mill, or was this seeded from somewhere?

If there is any validity to this, it really does fuel the fire that the lockdowns have more to do with PR than anything. If a strict lockdown is needed, and we know this now, why wait nearly 3 weeks to implement? It makes no sense.
I'm a Globe subscriber, but in case you're not, here's one of the sources cited in the article:

More drastic restrictions, if not a shutdown, are coming, or should be, by the end of December, according to hospital leaders and epidemiologists.

“I would be very shocked if there are not more significant rollbacks or closures of the state by Jan. 1,” said Eric Dickson, chief executive of UMass Memorial Health Care in Worcester.

Old 12-12-2020, 06:13 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:

Could be tied to some metric that they are confident they will hit.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:06 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Incorrect, Geoff.

The new restrictions don't start until tomorrow (Sunday).
So we're Covid free tonight? Until tomorrow....at 10pm?

These curfews are insanity.

Old 12-12-2020, 07:41 PM

943 posts, read 409,349 times
Quote:

They consider the crucial pre-holiday shopping/economic considerations more important than the health impact. After the New Year, the balance may shift. It's the economy. Obviously - the best of all worlds would have been to lockdown in November in time for a partial reopen in December; also to be better positioned for the inevitable spread from holiday gatherings.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:11 PM

3,970 posts, read 5,762,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
They consider the crucial pre-holiday shopping/economic considerations more important than the health impact. After the New Year, the balance may shift. It's the economy. Obviously - the best of all worlds would have been to lockdown in November in time for a partial reopen in December; also to be better positioned for the inevitable spread from holiday gatherings.
Small businesses unfortunately are left to dry if a major shutdown happened in November. The US was caught so unprepared that our federal, state, and local government levels could not give adequate aid and with major disagreement at the federal level and throughout the country, we will not be receiving adequate aid anytime soon. That is why our businesses are forced to operate just to survive or else they go bust and we'd have yet another wave of angry, unemployed citizens. That is also why the pandemic is acting like a seesaw with regions swapping places in terms of high numbers of cases. In the spring it was the Northeast and California, in the summer it was the South, in the fall it was the Midwest, now it's back to us and California. There has been no nationwide agreement on how to mitigate this virus and no nationwide plan on how to support local businesses in danger of collapse. I agree that the smartest thing to do is act fast with a shutdown but on the other hand how else can we assist our local businesses. My local barbershop used to be thriving before the pandemic but now there's hardly any customer. Most times I'm the only one in there and I can tell from the miserable look on my barber's face that times are really tough right now. We as a nation and society spent too much time not planning the economy properly, instead we continued to milk it as if the good times could last forever, and we reaped what we sowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts