Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2021, 03:53 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times

Advertisements

I told you they'd pick the big e

https://www.masslive.com/business/20...ringfield.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2021, 07:18 PM

6,121 posts, read 5,084,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
I don't think spread is all that likely, at least with the current variant. However, I think it's more likely than an anaphylactic reaction, which they are very worried about. We just don't trace that well here...
We know very little about B1117. Australia, which forces all who travel into the country to spend a couple of weeks in quarantine hotels, found several travelers in separate rooms on the same hotel floor and a hotel cleaner (plus spouse) infected with B1117. They are looking into it. https://www.theguardian.com/australi...r-conditioning
Some European countries are now enforcing the equivalent of N95 masks in stores/buildings and public transportation (and are making the masks available for free to high risk residents). That should also tell us something (a lot)
Vaccinations on a wider scale won't take place until B117 is widespread (I have heard by March it will be the dominant variant). We should plan accordingly. Outdoor/drive-through clinics whenever possible. Other states are doing it.
Speaking of Australia--my relative who lives in Sydney posted an envy-inducing picture of her birthday being celebrated in their workplace. Just like the old days...no masks, people hugging, posing for group pics, etc. Australia has the luxury of being able to just clamp down on clusters whenever they pop up (and mind you--they call 6 cases a "cluster"!).

So yes, it's absolutely possible to tamp down on contagions before they lead to pandemics...just need a quick response and some responsible leadership.

Old 01-19-2021, 09:06 PM

12,375 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Yes you did :-)

Old 01-20-2021, 06:16 AM

12,375 posts, read 9,473,336 times
CVS and Walgreens will begin vaccinations in Mass this week (for people currently eligible of course) .

"Starting this week, 10,000 vaccine doses will be delivered to at least 15 pharmacies. According to the Baker administration, Massachusetts is one of the first states to team up with retail pharmacies. The locations are in Greenfield, Fall River, Salem, South Yarmouth, Pittsfield, Lee, Holden, Gardner, Hyannis, Mashpee, Somerset, Fairhaven, Haverhill, Saugus, and Danvers. They were picked because these areas currently have 'less access to convenient vaccine sites', the state said. About 40 vaccination sites will be added the week of Jan. 25 through this partnership and others, including Wegmans, Big Y, Price Chopper, Stop & Shop, and Hannaford."

https://boston.cbslocal.com/2021/01/...-distribution/

Old 01-20-2021, 06:41 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,058 times
Who qualifies as an "eligible Phase One resident"? It's hard to get excited about 10k doses spread out over fifteen communities. Got to start somewhere, through, I guess.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:09 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
Who qualifies as an "eligible Phase One resident"? It's hard to get excited about 10k doses spread out over fifteen communities. Got to start somewhere, through, I guess.

Connecticut is now doing age 75+ which shows how far behind the curve Massachusetts is.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:17 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,058 times
Thanks. I hadn't seen that. Most of us aren't even on the radar yet...

Old 01-20-2021, 07:22 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,777,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Connecticut is now doing age 75+ which shows how far behind the curve Massachusetts is.
NYC is doing 65+ right now.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:24 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times
Quote:
Connecticut is now doing age 75+
Public school teachers are being vaccinated in CT as well. They are doing a great job.

NY may say they are doing 65+, but it has been nearly impossible to get appointments for my elderly relatives in that state.

Old 01-20-2021, 07:31 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:

We are a little bit further than the graphic indicates, at least unofficially. I have family members that are doing home-based healthcare and non-Covid facing healthcare that have been or are getting vaccinated.

In fact, one of the major issues is not everyone who is offered the vaccine is getting it leaving a surplus supply. I am not sure the reasons (logistical or otherwise) that the surplus vaccines cannot be returned to the general pool, but I am aware of situations where the vaccine was administered to persons who would not normally qualify right now vs discard them. To be clear, this is not "rich person gets preferential treatment" but more of "I'm on the verge of having to dispose of this, do you want it?" to any convenient person who just happens to be present/available and doesn't normally qualify.

But I agree, MA is behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts