Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2021, 08:37 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,666,387 times

Advertisements

My question would be do the other comorbidity get preference as well, if not why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 08:40 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Smoking is more of an addiction for some than a choice. I've had many family members struggle for years to quit, with some older family members succumbing to smoking related deaths despite desperate serious efforts to stop.

With that said, I understand the logic by the medical community. Smoking increases the risk of having serious complications due to Covid, and passing that group over because of some "they did it to themselves" logic may come back to haunt them if medical resources start to get overwhelmed.

They are the lowest priority group in Phase 2, but ahead of the general pop. I have no issue stepping aside for someone who has been a heavy smoker all their life and at greater risk. I am sure those folk will need medical sign-off by their Dr. who has documented history of their smoking habits. Will there be abuse? Probably on a small scale as with anything these days.

BTW, the list of medical conditions that would get you the vaccine in phase 2 is as follows:

Cancer
Chronic kidney disease
COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)
Down Syndrome
Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
Immunocompromised state (weakened immune system) from solid organ transplant
Obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 30 kg/m2 or higher but < 40 kg/m2)
Severe Obesity (BMI ≥ 40 kg/m2)
Pregnancy
Sickle cell disease
Smoking
Type 2 diabetes mellitus

If you have 2 of those, you get a higher priority than those with 1.

More detailed list here
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/co...rview#phase-2-

Old 01-23-2021, 09:30 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,209,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of ridiculous that smokers are getting priority with the vaccine? I get it that if they got corona it puts them at higher risk higher mortality and healthcare costs....but people make a choice to smoke knowing that it's bad for them. Just doesn't seem right that they get the vaccine before someone else who may have issues.

Also how can you really prove someone is a smoker ? Couldn't anyone just say, hey I'm a smoker so they can get the vaccine before others if they wanted ?
Get within 3' of a smoker and you'll know.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:39 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

BTW, the list of medical conditions that would get you the vaccine in phase 2 is as follows:

Cancer
Chronic kidney disease
Down Syndrome
Heart conditions, such as heart failure, coronary artery disease, or cardiomyopathies
Pregnancy
Sickle cell disease
Smoking
Type 2 diabetes mellitus

More detailed list here
I can't believe Asthma is not in that first list, while Smoking is. Absolutely ridiculous.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Smoking is more of an addiction for some than a choice. I've had many family members struggle for years to quit, with some older family members succumbing to smoking related deaths despite desperate serious efforts to stop.

With that said, I understand the logic by the medical community. Smoking increases the risk of having serious complications due to Covid, and passing that group over because of some "they did it to themselves" logic may come back to haunt them if medical resources start to get overwhelmed.

They are the lowest priority group in Phase 2, but ahead of the general pop. I have no issue stepping aside for someone who has been a heavy smoker all their life and at greater risk. I am sure those folk will need medical sign-off by their Dr. who has documented history of their smoking habits. Will there be abuse? Probably on a small scale as with anything these days.

Cancer
Chronic kidney disease
Down Syndrome
Pregnancy
Sickle cell disease
Smoking
Type 2 diabetes mellitus

More detailed list here
It is very much an addiction. As is food (sugar), which is the root of much obesity.

Old 01-23-2021, 01:55 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
It is very much an addiction. As is food (sugar), which is the root of much obesity.
But opting for smoking cessation programs, which are nearly universally offered, is a choice. I honestly think that prioritizing those who are abusing their lungs through their actions, ahead of those who have lungs compromised for other reasons beyond their control, is ridiculous in a supply-constrained situation.

And...not that I would bank on this...but here's another point to ponder:

https://theprint.in/health/smokers-v...survey/587386/

Old 01-23-2021, 02:03 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,412 times
I think the data showing a worse outcome for smokers is the real motivation. I can see why it would bother someone but in my opinion preventing death is the direction we should be moving towards.

Old 01-23-2021, 02:37 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it's kind of ridiculous that smokers are getting priority with the vaccine? I get it that if they got corona it puts them at higher risk higher mortality and healthcare costs....but people make a choice to smoke knowing that it's bad for them. Just doesn't seem right that they get the vaccine before someone else who may have issues.

Also how can you really prove someone is a smoker ? Couldn't anyone just say, hey I'm a smoker so they can get the vaccine before others if they wanted ?
I don’t find it ridiculous at all. Tying sanctimony to healthcare crises is what allowed the AIDS pandemic to flourish 40 years ago.

Old 01-23-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
But opting for smoking cessation programs, which are nearly universally offered, is a choice. I honestly think that prioritizing those who are abusing their lungs through their actions, ahead of those who have lungs compromised for other reasons beyond their control, is ridiculous in a supply-constrained situation.

And...not that I would bank on this...but here's another point to ponder:

https://theprint.in/health/smokers-v...survey/587386/
I didn't say I support putting them ahead of those who don't smoke but in other high risk categories. But they are in the same high risk group that those with other comorbidity are. However, if you are going to say smokers have choices, you also need to acknowledge that obese people do too. And the whole "choice" thing only goes so far because addiction is also a medical condition where one of the primary symptoms is continued use despite negative consequences.

Last edited by bostongymjunkie; 01-23-2021 at 03:31 PM..

Old 01-23-2021, 06:49 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
Ok so now some folks are comparing people who smoke to people who had aids in the 80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts