Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2021, 08:12 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What is making the numbers go down so much? People just being more vigilant? I feel like people are getting 'looser'. My son was invited to a bday party this week. ugh. Not ready for that.
Can only speculate, but lack of major holidays and family gatherings? Higher number of cases means more people have developed immunity? Vaccine rollout and impact on immunity?

It was only a matter of time for the cases to start dropping. Deaths will follow in a few weeks, but hopefully this is the beginning of the end. I'd really like to have a normal summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 08:21 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Can only speculate, but lack of major holidays and family gatherings? Higher number of cases means more people have developed immunity? Vaccine rollout and impact on immunity?

It was only a matter of time for the cases to start dropping. Deaths will follow in a few weeks, but hopefully this is the beginning of the end. I'd really like to have a normal summer.
Yeah, all of this. Our town's website that tracks COVID cases spells it out very clearly. A peak in mid-April and then next to nothing, and then a massive spike after Thanksgiving and an even higher one after Christmas. We've just dropped down to pre-Thanksgiving cases.

So it turns out you weren't supposed to commingle households indoors without masks. Who knew? Add in more cases and subsequent immunity, the vaccine trickling out, etc., and there may finally be light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is still months away.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:34 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Yes I'm hoping for a more normal summer as well. I have a feeling it will be given that so much can be done outdoors

Old 02-03-2021, 08:35 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
Yeah, all of this. Our town's website that tracks COVID cases spells it out very clearly. A peak in mid-April and then next to nothing, and then a massive spike after Thanksgiving and an even higher one after Christmas. We've just dropped down to pre-Thanksgiving cases.

So it turns out you weren't supposed to commingle households indoors without masks. Who knew? Add in more cases and subsequent immunity, the vaccine trickling out, etc., and there may finally be light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is still months away.
I hope you had tongue firmly in cheek on the above comment?

Old 02-03-2021, 08:52 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bohemka View Post
I don't have any numbers about Logan but I believe that air passengers was something high like 80% of 2019 around Christmas.

As for why cases are going down I would only say that I would downplay the vaccine because of MA's refusal to vaccinate any general population until now.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:58 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I hope you had tongue firmly in cheek on the above comment?
I sure did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I don't have any numbers about Logan but I believe that air passengers was something high like 80% of 2019 around Christmas.

As for why cases are going down I would only say that I would downplay the vaccine because of MA's refusal to vaccinate any general population until now.
True for now, but as things ramp up, it'll hopefully play a big part. I have a number of friends who work in healthcare, so many people I'd normally interact with have already been vaccinated. But yes, a very, very small percentage in general have been vaccinated.

For what it's worth, my dad is 79 and has cancer, and he's been unable to get the vaccine in Florida despite a lot of effort.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:13 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
My husband’s doctor’s office called this morning to set up an appointment for him, 75+. We are planning that I will go with him and if they can, as in doses going unused, they will get the vaccine into my arm as well. The office told him they are quite well stocked. We’ll see how that goes.
Update 2. Doctor’s office canceled. Vaccines did not arrive as expected. He still has an appointment thru Mass.gov at a later date.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:21 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
I wonder if the weather plays a role as well into the region's drop in Cases.

We've had a few snow events in a row the last couple weeks (with more on the way). I wonder if that would drive people to remain indoors in isolation as the weather moves through. Figure 1 week away from others would be enough time for symptoms to show (prompting testing and isolation) or for those with minor symptoms to remain away from others long enough to move past being contagious?

Old 02-03-2021, 10:35 AM

943 posts, read 410,163 times
I expect another wave, unfortunately - as the more contagious variants take over, just as governments/people are relaxing restrictions. Also worried about Super Bowl Sunday. Not sure if our current speed of vaccinations will prevent this.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:37 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Oh right...curious to see what happens with Superbowl sunday. Damn Brady had to go to another superbowl so people are here are definitely interesting in watching.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts