Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 09:19 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,191 times

Advertisements

I learned today that there are people at my org who can’t work onsite and also can’t work from home but they’ll be paid through May 28th. I’m not sure what these positions are but that seems pretty good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 09:24 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
And takeout don't forget.
Heh. That's a given!

Old 03-27-2020, 10:27 PM

295 posts, read 317,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Alcohol dependency. Withdrawal symptoms can actually be life threatening. Many people probably don't even realize they are "functioning alcoholics"

Baker seems pretty fired up during this latest press conference
We were driving this evening around 6pm to pick up groceries and noticed the roads were quite busy, almost like a typical weekday evening. I asked my spouse why it looked so normal and the reply was “Maybe they all have to go to doctors appointments and pick up medication” so I kinda went like ok that kinda makes sense maybe. Then literally 2 minutes later we drove by a liquor store and I noticed a woman, probably in her 70’s, with a big brown bag walking out the door. At least she parked right in front of the store.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:55 AM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
When people are walking their dogs sometimes I wonder if they put shoes on for them. Like their dog steps all over the ground outside and comes home and jumps onto their owner’s sofas, beds, etc. Can’t possibly be hygienic.
I have never thought twice about my dogs stepping on the ground and coming home and jumping on my bed. If it's wet outside, or my dog has stepped in mud or enough dirt to soil fabrics, I wipe his paws off in the car or in the living room. He's a fairly clean dog; has no interest in rolling in puddles. (but even if he did that, I could manage and he'd still get to sleep on my bed.

My sofa and chair in the living room have coverings on them to protect them from dirty paws or compulsive licking; coverings which are washed a few times per month.

I have never had any zoonotic diseases.

I don't put shoes on my dog's paws, either. If he walks on salted surfaces in the winter, I'll clean his feet with a wet washcloth when we return home.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:19 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
InstaCart workers are going on strike Monday. They say they're risking their lives and want $5 extra for each order.
Do they really think people will actually pay that?

Old 03-28-2020, 04:02 AM

I have thought about the dirty paw thing with dogs as I have one. Ours usually goes in our yard or we drive to a park to walk him. We don’t walk him around the neighborhood on the sidewalk. If anything it’s city dogs that are probably dirtier walking on the sidewalks with all that foot traffic. It is kind of gross but I’ve never heard that people who have dogs are more likely to get sick. Also plenty of people still don’t take their shoes off when they go in the house so there shoes are just as dirty as a dogs if not more.

It’s little children who bring home all the germs no matter how much we try to protect them and keep things clean. I hadn’t had a stomach virus since I was 6 years old but I got one last year thanks to my kids bringing home germs from school. Thankfully it lasted 24 hours and didn’t end up in the hospital or need any medications. The same things can’t be said for covid 19.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:20 AM

Also it seems like the universal thing for keeping clean and not spreading germs is wash your hands....with soap and water for 20 seconds. Signs everywhere saying this even before coronavirus. I have never actually heard health experts give the advice of take your shoes off before you go inside or once you get inside.

Old 03-28-2020, 05:46 AM

12,406 posts, read 9,502,300 times
Some very good news on testing - Abbott Labs has developed a rapid test that can be run using a small, portable device. The test is a "molecular test" picking up the virus itself, not the antibodies, allowing patients who actively have the disease to be distinguished, and it can produce a positive result in just 5 minutes or a negative result in just 15 minutes...

"The good news for availability of this test is that ID NOW, the hardware [platform] from Abbott that it runs on, already holds the largest molecular point-of-care footprint in the U.S., and is widely available across doctor’s offices, urgent care clinics, emergency rooms and other medical facilities."

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/27/a-...ust-5-minutes/

Old 03-28-2020, 06:07 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,545,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steephill2 View Post
We were driving this evening around 6pm to pick up groceries and noticed the roads were quite busy, almost like a typical weekday evening. .
I have been driving to work this week and I have also noticed the increase. I do think elderly people are choosing this time to go for a "ride" which is annoying. They block up the roads going slow.

Quote:
Abbott Labs has developed a rapid test that can be run using a small, portable device.
That is good news-- hope it gets rolled out soon.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:08 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,487,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Do they really think people will actually pay that?
$5 more? I certainly would if I can get a time slot.

Ideally the best way to protect people getting food would be to turn it into 100% online ordering. Separate the different parts of shipping. Workers inside kit the order and place it in a pickup area. Other delivery drivers grab 2-3 orders and deliver it locally and drop off on porch. As little face to face interaction as possible.

Of course it won’t work for everyone

Last edited by BostonMike7; 03-28-2020 at 07:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts