Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2020, 03:35 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times

Advertisements

Please post all local Coronavirus news/updates this thread only.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-13-2020 at 05:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2020, 04:41 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,282,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEVIN_224 View Post
I was told that the Boston Marathon isn't happening now? True?

True. They're thinking of delaying it until the Fall.

Old 03-12-2020, 05:31 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Why don’t we do this for the flu is what I still want to know. Is this really going to stop the spread? Let’s say we do this for a month and everyone goes back out again and does their thing... I dunno I just think this is prolonging the virus.

They do do this for the flu. The last time it was a big deal was 1957 and 1968z. Similar response. Couple million people worldwide died.

Prolonging the virus allows time for medical resources to keep up, vaccines to (possibly) get developed and people to develop immunity as some people catch it and slow/stop the rate of transmission.

Right now nobody has immunity...so the medical resources can get overwhelmed when 15% require critical care.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:27 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
I didn't go to the supermarket until this evening, and there seems to be panic-buying going on. Toiler paper was the worst - none of that in Newburyport, but the shelves were pretty much half-empty all over. Get a grip, people! Stay calm and help your friends, coworkers and neighbors and everyone will be alright.

Old 03-12-2020, 06:53 PM

17,666 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I didn't go to the supermarket until this evening, and there seems to be panic-buying going on. Toiler paper was the worst - none of that in Newburyport, but the shelves were pretty much half-empty all over. Get a grip, people! Stay calm and help your friends, coworkers and neighbors and everyone will be alright.
I understand what you're saying, but isn't the point of this to stay away from other people (other than the people you live with)?

Old 03-12-2020, 07:15 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
I understand what you're saying, but isn't the point of this to stay away from other people (other than the people you live with)?
I am not asking people to hug it out and exchange DNA... just to stay calm, choose cooperation over conflict, don't horde or panic buy, etc...

Old 03-12-2020, 07:22 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
I was just at Aldi Supermarket in West Springfield and it wasn't that bad. There's a note saying that if you want to buy in bulk and not going to allow it but anything less than a case is fine. There was a significant drop in the number of cans on the shelves but I couldn't see anything sold out. From Meats though it looks like all chicken breasts that were boneless are gone and all the toilet paper is gone. Sanitizing wipes were still there plenty of milk bread cheese and eggs. I don't think we've had a positive case yet in Springfield or Hamden or Hampshire County or the Pioneer Valley as a whole. but the Berkshires did get some and I think that's worrisome because nobody there was really traveling.

On a side note the US Census just went out and ultimately if you do not reply back they eventually try to send someone out. Note the word try. Many of these jobs 10 to go to seniors and younger people may have which might already have is so this might get complicated in the next month or so.

things seem pretty much the same here although the AHL is shut down so theres not going to be tbird games.

I'll give this about a month or two tops. by then anybody that was going to get it will get it. And that it would probably pass within two to three weeks. I know it feels bad to hunker down but it's somewhat like a snow storm but without the snow

Old 03-12-2020, 08:03 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Friend of mine went to the grocery store and said it was Thanksgiving and Christmas and a noreaster all rolled into one. He left. Felt it was ridiculous.

Old 03-12-2020, 08:52 PM

5,167 posts, read 11,434,314 times
I was at Trader Joe's in Shrewsbury tonight to get some nuts and it was insane. Zero bread, zero pasta, lots of shelves empty. Of course no toilet paper

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-12-2020, 09:52 PM

17,666 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Individual that visited Encore Boston Harbor subsequently tests positive for COVID-19

^ it was the Utah Jazz player Donovan Mitchell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts