Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2020, 06:45 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Personally, I think it is obvious that this virus has been here a lot longer than they were saying. Almost everyone I know had something in late December / early January and it was very similar to this. Now, a lot of people they test have it and they don't know the exposure. That tells me that exposure is common and it is just a matter of the test confirming it. They say we have 130 cases and in theory that should be too small to have such a continuing outbreak. My guess 25% of the population already has it.
You may be right. Some of the family had mentioned having a random fever. I myself had a fever and chills for a day or two first week of Jan, with a cough for 2 days. Then it was gone. I didn’t think anything of it. We all have kids and they have had various colds and fevers since Jan. All very minor, typical stuff you wouldt give s second thought to normally.

Nothing we can do about it now if it has passed. Would need to do a blood test to test for antibodies....and I hate needles.

We actually may be getting tested for the virus however for “epidemiological reasons” so we shall see. Been a very dynamic situation. Nobody else has symptoms though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2020, 07:16 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,541,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
You may be right. Some of the family had mentioned having a random fever. I myself had a fever and chills for a day or two first week of Jan, with a cough for 2 days. Then it was gone. I didn’t think anything of it. We all have kids and they have had various colds and fevers since Jan. All very minor, typical stuff you wouldt give s second thought to normally.
I was talking to a doctor on Friday and she said tons of people reported that they had this -- whatever this was - in the early weeks of January. Many have asked if it could have been the virus.

To me it just makes sense that this stuff came over during the holidays. People coming in from other countries and people coming back from other countries. Also, just looking at the map you can see that the biggest outbreaks are costal cities with airports. NY, Boston, LA.

Old 03-15-2020, 07:57 AM

12,364 posts, read 9,462,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
Yet another good reason not to be living in Massachusetts

Massachusetts as i post has the 3rd or 4st largest number of coronaviruses in the country and Mass people are still going out in large crowds.

"Boston Bars Crowded Despite Calls"
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/...al-distancing/
The virus comes in with travelers from international destinations. So yes, MA has a lot of immigrants, a lot of international students, business people, tourists, etc. Generally speaking, that's not a bad thing.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:10 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
I work at a university and am on our incident command. We first started meeting weekly about coronavirus at the end of January. We're one of the schools who announced we're sending people home this week, but we were working for at least 2 weeks before that.

Y'all, this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. We wouldn't have sent millions of students home across the country in record time (and often knowing these students heartbreakingly don't have safe or welcoming places to go home to) if it wasn't. Please, please, please stay home as much as you can. If you have to go into work, stay as far apart from others as you can and wash your hands every half hour. Use a conference call line rather than a conference room and call in from your desks. But also eat well, get enough sleep, take your vitamins, and stay hydrated so that if you do get coronavirus, you have done everything you can to prevent yourself from ending up in the hospital. A friend who is a nurse in South Korea on the front lines now told me that their medical community and patients are all hyperdosing on vitamin C. I don't know that it works, but certainly don't think it hurts.

I know restaurants are hurting, but buy a giftcard or get take out to limit your exposure. If we can tamp this down now, we will be coming out of this by summer. China is already lifting their restrictions because it's under control. If we don't, this could go on and on exponentially.

I inherited my grandmother's depression baby sensibilities and already had probably a month of staples in my pantry, but started adding more and more over the past few weeks. I did my final shop on Wednesday and hope I can get through at least until Thursday or Friday before venturing out to get some produce. I can do without, but would rather not.

Like many, I got very very very sick at the beginning of January but it was with a lot of nasal congestion. Everything I've seen about coronavirus is that it's a dry cough and fever, not so much with congestion. I tend to think another bad strain of a virus went around and hit many of us. But I'm hopeful that it was coronavirus - I'm in a high risk category as someone with lung damage from chemo already and am doing all that I can to avoid putting myself at risk even though I'm young and relatively healthy.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:21 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,540,329 times
[quote=charolastra00;57569985]I work at a university and am on our incident command. We first started meeting weekly about coronavirus at the end of January. We're one of the schools who announced we're sending people home this week, but we were working for at least 2 weeks before that.

Y'all, this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. We wouldn't have sent millions of students home across the country in record time (and often knowing these students heartbreakingly don't have safe or welcoming places to go home to) if it wasn't. Please, please, please stay home as much as you can. If you have to go into work, stay as far apart from others as you can and wash your hands every half hour. Use a conference call line rather than a conference room and call in from your desks. But also eat well, get enough sleep, take your vitamins, and stay hydrated so that if you do get coronavirus, you have done everything you can to prevent yourself from ending up in the hospital. A friend who is a nurse in South Korea on the front lines now told me that their medical community and patients are all hyperdosing on vitamin C. I don't know that it works, but certainly don't think it hurts.

I know restaurants are hurting, but buy a giftcard or get take out to limit your exposure. If we can tamp this down now, we will be coming out of this by summer. China is already lifting their restrictions because it's under control. If we don't, this could go on and on exponentially.

I inherited my grandmother's depression baby sensibilities and already had probably a month of staples in my pantry, but started adding more and more over the past few weeks. I did my final shop on Wednesday and hope I can get through at least until Thursday or Friday before venturing out to get some produce. I can do without, but would rather not.

Like many, I got very very very sick at the beginning of January but it was with a lot of nasal congestion. Everything I've seen about coronavirus is that it's a dry cough and fever, not so much with congestion. I tend to think another bad strain of a virus went around and hit many of us. But I'm hopeful that it was coronavirus - I'm in a high risk category as someone with lung damage from chemo already and am doing all that I can to avoid putting myself at risk even though I'm young and relatively healthy.[/QUOTE

Dont sneeze or cough in public. The hysterical public believes anyone who coughs or sneezes must be infectious. Those of us with severe allergies are very worried about being pummeled by our fellow citizens. pollen count was high yesterday. Just going to get worse.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amontillado View Post
Per Boston Globe 3-13-2020: "Mass. health officials release new coronavirus numbers; now 123 total cases, up 15 from Thursday".

Of the 123, "Biogen employees/contacts" account for 94, "travel related" 5, "Berkshire Medical Center/contacts" 8, and 16 "Under investigation". This suggests that the disease isn't running wild among the population generally. That could change.

We have less testing that any other country. I know 3 people with COVID-19 symptoms who cannot. get. testing. Even one who is currently in the ICU.

So please. No. This how it spreads.

Old 03-15-2020, 08:36 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,467,632 times
Ok, on our way to get the kids tested. They are suspected of being the source

Old 03-15-2020, 08:40 AM

17,668 posts, read 9,148,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wror View Post
Yet another good reason not to be living in Massachusetts

Massachusetts as i post has the 3rd or 4st largest number of coronaviruses in the country and Mass people are still going out in large crowds.

"Boston Bars Crowded Despite Calls"
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2020/03/...al-distancing/

https://twitter.com/NBC10_Tamara/sta...96948088918017

Old 03-15-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
Dont sneeze or cough in public. The hysterical public believes anyone who coughs or sneezes must be infectious. Those of us with severe allergies are very worried about being pummeled by our fellow citizens. pollen count was high yesterday. Just going to get worse.

Lucky me, I'm also allergic to flowers, trees, the outside, joy...

I am far more concerned about asymptomatic people spreading the illness without knowing it than people who are coughing or sneezing.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:07 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,776,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Y'all, this is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. We wouldn't have sent millions of students home across the country in record time (and often knowing these students heartbreakingly don't have safe or welcoming places to go home to) if it wasn't.
That is rather BS that the schools are doing that. They are doing it because they don't want to get stuck with the students if/when a lockdown is enforced. I bet students won't be getting any refunds either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts