Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2020, 07:01 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times

Advertisements

Paywall...can't read it.

Literal end of the world? No. Will there be changes? You can bet your ass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 07:03 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,360 times
It mostly talked about major changes. Lots of scenarios. But basically a changed world.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:36 AM

2,556 posts, read 2,283,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
People are going to lots of vacation places from places besides NYC. Boston people are certainly going to the Islands. I think they don't get the lack of medical care there, the need to transport off island for anything, and the fact FACT that the virus is everywhere.
Yes, you definitely don't want to be very sick and stuck at the MV hospital.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:44 AM

I wouldn’t want to be at any hospital right now.

Old 03-30-2020, 07:54 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
If you can't do the job, what you're implying isn't exactly reasonable.
By this standard, any employer without wheel chair access could simply not hire paraplegics. The courts frowns upon such things.

As Geoff suggests, the liabilities are huge and the primary motivator as to why many corporate entities front-ran the government on isolation protocols. My employer was 30+ days ahead of U.S. measures on air travel and one can tell from how the communications were drafted that it was a 100% liability reduction.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:11 AM

12,840 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Do you think this article is right?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bos...tputType%3Damp
Well this is less an article than it is perspectives from five different people, and each of them say very different things. But if you're asking if I think that a bunch of Sci-Fi authors and tech executives have painted an accurate picture of what the world looks like after COVID-19? Of course not.

If you were to ask "will things go back to exactly as they are after this settles down?" Then the answer is also "Of course not." It'll be different. Some of the things the contributors mentioned will likely bear some fruit. For example, a few contributors mentioned more virtual communication. Absolutely. I think this will speed up the work from home movement. I still think office space will be essential, but more workplaces will be structured to allow employees to work from home part time, or at least in case of emergency. And while I am not going to take a Sci-Fi author's word that there will be a second, more deadly wave of COVID in October, I do think it's clear now that even if/when we slow the spread of this first wave, we will be dealing with a sequence of spikes and lulls for the foreseeable future.

We'll obviously see measures at all levels of government and the private sector to ensure this doesn't happen again. I think we'll be extremely gun shy about future potential outbreaks for the next 10-20 years. There will be a lot of preemptive social distancing and stay at home orders in the interest of safety. But I also think people will be itching to be social again. The bars/restaurants that survive the shutdown will come back strong and fast. Airlines will restructure (use the time to cut unprofitable routes), but travel will bounce back well - though we may see health screenings become the norm at customs. In short, there's no question it'll be different.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:26 AM

Flying is already such a painful experience. I can only imagine what it will be like after this.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:47 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,546,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Paywall...can't read it.

Literal end of the world? No. Will there be changes? You can bet your ass.
You can get rid of a paywall by turning off java.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:02 AM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
I wouldn’t want to be at any hospital right now.
Hence, a very good idea to take all precautions. I wouldn't want to drive the 24 miles in my recent retirement town here in Colorado (formerly in Boston metro area for 45 years) and have a mild accident and maybe a broken arm and have to go to our little community hospital which is already taking the overflow people from the littler community hospital by the Crested Butte ski area, whose county has 78 confirmed cases at present.

We are all in for a rough ride, wherever we are, and all we can do is stick together. At a safe distance.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:12 AM

My husband thinks things will be back to normal by June. I don’t think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts