Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2020, 09:16 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
My husband thinks things will be back to normal by June. I don’t think so.
Well...it was a talking point yesterday in the WH briefing. June 1 was cited as the "bottom of the curve". Apparently Bill Gates alluded to this also in a separate venue. The question of course is--what all went into that assumption, and can we in fact execute all of those measures to perfection, as a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 09:24 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
US nearly 1 million total tests completed.

Last 3 days case count.

18953 - 19768 - 19324

Looks like a flattening is starting to occur. Need to keep tracking to see if a trend is in fact forming

In my mind, I see this as the first wave. If everyone gets back to normal in June, we are simply setting up the beginning of Wave 2 for the fall.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:37 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
US nearly 1 million total tests completed.

Last 3 days case count.

18953 - 19768 - 19324

Looks like a flattening is starting to occur. Need to keep tracking to see if a trend is in fact forming

In my mind, I see this as the first wave. If everyone gets back to normal in June, we are simply setting up the beginning of Wave 2 for the fall.
They’re not testing much in flyover country. The flatten the curve thing is more regional. It was still a hoax a couple of weeks ago in MAGA country.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:44 AM

15,794 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
They’re not testing much in flyover country. The flatten the curve thing is more regional. It was still a hoax a couple of weeks ago in MAGA country.
I agree. Those numbers reflect the regions aggressively testing. One region will recover, relax restrictions, and then someone who lives in an area of low testing will fly in, reinfect, and we start all over.

More reason to expect this to be in a few waves over the next 12-18 mos

Old 03-30-2020, 09:48 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,191 times
So basically this won’t be over by June.

Will people still be able to get rentals down the cape in June ? My brother in law rents a place every June for a week. Wondering if that will still happen.

Last edited by Bridge781; 03-30-2020 at 09:49 AM.. Reason: K

Old 03-30-2020, 09:57 AM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
So basically this won’t be over by June.

Will people still be able to get rentals down the cape in June ? My brother in law rents a place every June for a week. Wondering if that will still happen.
Doubt it, and you don't want to be on the Cape and need medical care of any kind.

In my area, which is tourist-based (SW Colorado) short-term rentals (less than 30 days) have been banned. I follow info from Mass. because I have many friends in the area who work in healthcare, which I worked in over the 45 years I lived in eastern MA.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:26 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
We might not have short term rentals in mass

https://www.berkshireeagle.com/stori...ndustry,601108

Can't totally blame him.

I said it before and I'll say it again going to a more rural area is not going to make you safer. Just because a place as less cases does not mean that they have a more sophisticated Healthcare System. Imagine that you're so afraid of the coronavirus you go to someplace in the Midwest and then you have some heart disease or cancer but they can't treat it so you come all the way back to the Boston area to get it treated!

Old 03-30-2020, 10:57 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
By this standard, any employer without wheel chair access could simply not hire paraplegics. The courts frowns upon such things.

As Geoff suggests, the liabilities are huge and the primary motivator as to why many corporate entities front-ran the government on isolation protocols. My employer was 30+ days ahead of U.S. measures on air travel and one can tell from how the communications were drafted that it was a 100% liability reduction.
I guess it would depend on what would be considered reasonable. You would be talking about people who could do the job, they would be just be at a higher risk of getting sick from the virus. So many people are going to be laid off from being shut down that might be moot. But yes I would expect most business to reopen immediately once the quarantine is lifted.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:58 AM

3,393 posts, read 1,545,130 times
I am very concerned with the impact of the economy with this shutdown. every life matters but if this shutdown goes till the end of april we could have a depression. it could take us 8 years to recover from that or could cause ww3. More people will die in a depression then with this virus. buisnesses need to open up but still be cautious about the virus. you could still have regulations to protect the people and have buisnesses be open .

never in the history of the united states has more people applied for unemployment. The economy will crash so hard it will make your head spin.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:06 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I guess it would depend on what would be considered reasonable. You would be talking about people who could do the job, they would be just be at a higher risk of getting sick from the virus. So many people are going to be laid off from being shut down that might be moot. But yes I would expect most business to reopen immediately once the quarantine is lifted.
I don't disagree with your economic perspective, but with current admin behaving as they are it puts companies (and their employees) in an awkward position of having to self assess risk, which also includes liabilities (for the Co).

I.e., it's a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts