Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2020, 07:46 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,401,647 times

Advertisements

I tried Prime and Instacart earlier today and had no luck with windows. However in the past 15 min Instacart just opened windows all day tomorrow. I ordered from Wegmans. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2020, 08:11 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
How is everyone doing with grocery deliveries? I've been trying for days and can't get one set up.
Can’t get them.

I figure the next 4 weeks is the peaking (2 to peak, 2 to fall to where we are now) so I think it’s time to dig into the stored food we bought back in Feb vs going to the grocery store.

Might make one more trip this weekend, but will be donning n95 mask and gloves. After that, riding it out on what we stocked up on.

Old 04-03-2020, 08:17 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,749,604 times
A doctor who caught a bad "flu" back in January has COVID-19 antibody positive.
So maybe many people already got it.

https://twitter.com/HandtevyMD/statu...32946612711424

Old 04-04-2020, 05:51 AM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
A doctor who caught a bad "flu" back in January has COVID-19 antibody positive.
So maybe many people already got it.
https://twitter.com/HandtevyMD/statu...32946612711424
Apparently these "home" tests are not accurate. Only the blood test one is.

But that should be available soon. FDA just approved it.

I do think a lot of people had it. Remember MA has tested 68000 + people and only has 1400 cases. What are the chances of that given how contagious this is?

The grocery store is becoming too dangerous. Every time I go it is mobbed. I have decided to do the shopping in counties that have low numbers and try to get things at stores that not a lot of people are going to.

I kind of wish that drive though pharmacies would start allowing you to get regular products via the drive thru. It would be safer for their employees and everyone.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:11 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Some farmers came together in western mass for delivery.

https://massfooddelivery.com/

Old 04-04-2020, 07:12 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
We can get enough perishables through curbside pickup at local indie stores to stay out of stores for the next month.

Personally, I think delivery should be rationed and made available to high risk people. I'm not 80. I don't have COPD or similar where this disease is high risk of killing me.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:14 AM

1,362 posts, read 873,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

I do think a lot of people had it. Remember MA has tested 68000 + people and only has 1400 cases. What are the chances of that given how contagious this is?

The grocery store is becoming too dangerous. Every time I go it is mobbed. I have decided to do the shopping in counties that have low numbers and try to get things at stores that not a lot of people are going to.

I kind of wish that drive though pharmacies would start allowing you to get regular products via the drive thru. It would be safer for their employees and everyone.
You're missing a zero. Mass has at least 10,400 cases.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:53 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Some farmers came together in western mass for delivery.

https://massfooddelivery.com/
So grateful for our farmers and ranchers everywhere.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:54 AM

17,670 posts, read 9,155,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
We can get enough perishables through curbside pickup at local indie stores to stay out of stores for the next month.

Personally, I think delivery should be rationed and made available to high risk people. I'm not 80. I don't have COPD or similar where this disease is high risk of killing me.

People need those delivery jobs.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:01 AM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post

We have more than 10,000 cases, it was 1438 NEW cases yesterday. And that's only the cases that have been diagnosed. While it certainly seems easier to get tested here rather than some other states, the vast majority of people who I know who have been told by a doctor that they are a presumed positive based on known contacts have not been tested. Still. One friend doesn't have a known contact, but she works in the public and has been sick for 3 weeks. She doesn't have a car and lives with roommates, and she decided with her doctor that unless she needs to go to the ER that it's not worth someone from outside of the household to risk themselves to drive her to the hospital. She's on the upswing, but is someone who in the decade I've known her has never gotten sick. She is very healthy and commutes via bike so her lungs are strong, but this has knocked her on her tush.

I've said this before and been chastised here, but I wouldn't be shocked if there are more than 100,000 people in Mass who are sick right now just based on how many people I know who almost certainly have it but haven't been tested and assuming asymptomatic people aren't being routinely tested.

Regarding the ER doctor's positive test, I have a lot of thoughts about that. As much as I would have loved for him to have been sick (most because I was super sick with suspicious symptoms at the same time after traveling to Miami - the doc is in Miami), there are all kinds of explanations. Maybe some ER doctors in particular are getting exposure to a low viral load just by the nature of where they work, so their immune system manages to fight it off but they develop antibodies? That would be good news. He could have been an asymptomatic carrier earlier on. The test might not be accurate. It seems from the comments that he's trying to do some testing on his own because I guess that's where we are now, but I hope this doesn't give people false confidence that the viral respiratory issues they had this winter (which go around every winter) mean they're immune now. A high school friend who now lives in rural Kentucky is swearing up and down that she and her whole family had it in early December based on this report.

It also begs the question - if it was circulating widely due to community spread then, why are hospitals only overloaded now? And I'm not talking everyone with a sniffle running to the ER in a panic, I mean the real and quantifiable need for ventilators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts