Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2020, 11:35 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
For others, the house of reps.
Good one, if you get weary of the 5:00 Follies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 11:59 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
can golf be considered a sport?
I could use a solo round of golf right now.

I know...not critical when people are losing their jobs/lives....

Old 04-15-2020, 12:14 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I could use a solo round of golf right now.

I know...not critical when people are losing their jobs/lives....
I find no reason why golf courses should be closed. some of the restrictions are going too far. a grocery store has way more risk then a round of golf.

In michigan they are going full authoritarian that if you visit a neighbor you could be arrested. a total violation of the constitution.

regulations are neccessary but there is going too far. I made a post about thats what people need the most if not too dangerous. I am not saying holding a big party but if someone wants to go for a round of golf what is it going to hurt. I was called selfish for my input when people need a escape as long as that escape is fairly safe I find no reason to restrict it.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:24 PM

9,093 posts, read 6,317,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
In michigan they are going full authoritarian that if you visit a neighbor you could be arrested. a total violation of the constitution.

regulations are neccessary but there is going too far. I made a post about thats what people need the most if not too dangerous. I am not saying holding a big party but if someone wants to go for a round of golf what is it going to hurt. I was called selfish for my input when people need a escape as long as that escape is fairly safe I find no reason to restrict it.
I am worried that with our country having relations with China, scenarios like COVID19 will become far more frequent in the future. Since the inception of the century they have given us SARS, bird flu and now COVID19. What will be next?

Old 04-15-2020, 12:30 PM

3,398 posts, read 1,549,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
I am worried that with our country having relations with China, scenarios like COVID19 will become far more frequent in the future. Since the inception of the century they have given us SARS, bird flu and now COVID19. What will be next?
this is next a war with china. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUvYAOClu3s

Old 04-15-2020, 12:58 PM

17,737 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
I'm 42 and couldn't care less if I got it or not. Some will remain afraid while others will be back in restaurants and on planes as soon as this clears. My argument is that enough are in the latter category to entice restaurants, airlines, and others to resume operations once the all-clear to resume is given.
I don't think so. All you need to do is observe what's currently happening regarding food. It is nearly impossible to get a grocery delivery...yet the restaurant delivery services (doordash, ubereats, grubhub, etc.) are being avoided - even with all of them using contactless delivery. People are scared to eat food that has been prepared by someone else.

If you disagree with what I wrote then please explain why the restaurant delivery services are currently suffering at a time when the demand for their services should be higher than ever. These services were thriving prior to COVID-19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Not at pre-COVID highs, but enough to re-open. I don't see a restaurant thinking they can only get 70% of the pre-COVID traffic saying they'll just stay closed rather than adjust to making 70% what they did before. Plus, with how many have adjusted to offering takeout/delivery, they might be able to make back that other 30% via takeout/delivery now.
70% is a pipe dream. But even using that fantasy number, it's not like 70% of previous traffic equals 70% of previous profits. Restaurants have fixed operating costs and I wouldn't be surprised if 70% of previous traffic is barely above their break even point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You wear a mask in public places largely to protect everyone else.
Geoff, just because we've heard this a million times, it doesn't make it accurate.

Don't you think it's odd that the masks protect health care workers but we're told that the masks don't protect us? And it just so happens we only started hearing that they don't protect us when it became known that there's a massive shortage of masks.

Old 04-15-2020, 01:34 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I think it’s overall unknown how effective the masks really are. The n95s are more effective but the ones people are making themselves seem kind of ridiculous. Maybe it just puts people more at ease. Healthcare workers are still contracting this

Old 04-15-2020, 01:40 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Interesting study here that I had suspected, but never saw mentioned anywhere.

In hearing about underlying conditions, I always wondered if obesity played a roll. There may be something to it.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/nyu-sc...ritical-cases/

Interesting chart.

Looks like it breaks it down by age, then obesity, then sex, and then diabetes and then race.

If you are obese and over 35, your prediction of hospitalization is 70%!

Old 04-15-2020, 01:46 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I think there’s something to the obesity thing as well. There was a Boston cop who died of it yesterday and he was overweight along with a nurse in Littleton who died of it last week. Of course I don’t know what everyone who died of it looks like but if youre overweight you probably already have trouble breathing.

Last edited by Bridge781; 04-15-2020 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: J

Old 04-15-2020, 01:47 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
Most sit down restaurants make their profit on booze.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts