Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2021, 01:24 PM

432 posts, read 414,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
She/he was doing you a favor. Humira is a TNF-inhibitor, it's an anti-inflammatory drug. This means it will suppress the immune system too - but you need a strong immune response to get an effective result from the vaccine.
Actually I'm not sure it was because of getting any shot or an immunosuppressant shot.

All the info I'm finding is saying get the shot ASAP, even if you took Humira the same day. I mean it is one the reasons for eligibility in the first place.

I am going to split the difference and move my shot up a week just in case, But it would've been nice to know before driving to Lowell and getting in that crowd of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 02:07 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
So for what it's worth, I am also 62. You do have a point re the personal risks of having a course of disease varying with age. However, the reported incidence of *serious* side effects from the vaccines like anaphylaxis has really been very low and fatalities linked to the vaccines are nearly non-existent after hundreds of millions of doses given out. Moreover, the card-carrying vaccine folks I've heard discuss this say that if the patient is going to have a problem with a vaccine, it's much more likely to show up in the first few weeks after vaccination - this is much more true than with a drug. So with serious side effects being rare in the early months from direct observation, and experts saying that this is the lion's share of the risk due to the nature of vaccines, it's all the more reason why I perceive the risks of getting vaccinated as extremely low.
You’re confusing short term side effects with long term side effects. The short term safety data is irrefutable. We have zero long term safety data. The odds of something really nasty popping up are low but they aren’t zero. We’re old enough that it likely doesn’t matter.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:05 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Hospitalizations are trending downward again for real now. If there's going to be a third wave it would have to start soon.

Old 03-16-2021, 03:32 PM

943 posts, read 410,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Everyone in the building is wearing a mask. Double up your mask, wear a short sleeve shirt under your coat so you don't have to touch anything to remove clothing, and stand the whole time. That's how I did my flu shot at CVS last fall (except I didn't know double mask yet). That's how I got my COVID-19 jabs at a hospital clinic. I stayed 6 feet from anyone and stood the whole time.
The local cvs I just called is doing 6 (!) shots every 15 minutes. That must be incredibly crowded. Can they fore you to stay inside the store if you want to wait outside?

Old 03-16-2021, 03:37 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
Actually I'm not sure it was because of getting any shot or an immunosuppressant shot.

All the info I'm finding is saying get the shot ASAP, even if you took Humira the same day. I mean it is one the reasons for eligibility in the first place.

I am going to split the difference and move my shot up a week just in case, But it would've been nice to know before driving to Lowell and getting in that crowd of people.
Well, normally, you don't want to take anti-inflammatories prior to vaccination (or soon after), it can diminish the response, because inflammation is an important part of the immune response to the vaccine. Maybe you're an exception or Humira is an exception for some reason, but that's a normal guideline for vaccination (not just for Covid-19 vaccination). Ask your doctor if you don't believe me.

P.S. Found this ""If you have mild symptoms just after getting the vaccination, try to tough it out. If you can’t tolerate the temporary discomfort, I would use acetaminophen (Tylenol) over an NSAID,” Craig B. Wilen, MD, PhD, an immunobiologist in the Department of Laboratory Medicine at Yale University School of Medicine and a lead researcher from the study". Do you know why he's recommending Acetominophen if you have to use something? Because that's not an anti-inflammatory drug.
https://www.verywellhealth.com/pain-...accine-5111319

The paper that Dr Wilen is lead author on is this one "Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs Dampen the Cytokine and Antibody Response to SARS-CoV-2 Infection".
https://jvi.asm.org/content/95/7/e00014-21

I don't have enough background to know if there are cases where anti-inflammatories are fine to use during vaccine application, but I do know it's a broad concern, so the safest thing to do (in terms of ensuring benefits) is to avoid anti-inflammatories.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-16-2021 at 04:40 PM..

Old 03-16-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You’re confusing short term side effects with long term side effects. The short term safety data is irrefutable. We have zero long term safety data. The odds of something really nasty popping up are low but they aren’t zero. We’re old enough that it likely doesn’t matter.
I don't think I am confused. Maybe it makes you feel better to say that, but I am comfortable with what I said.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:00 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Looks like more clarity coming tomorrow!

https://twitter.com/MassGovernor/sta...42355377487881

Old 03-16-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

Thanks for sharing :-)

Old 03-16-2021, 06:03 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post

I'm expecting it to be April 12th for Phase 2 Group 3, and then May 1st for everyone. Hope that I'm wrong and the timelines are much sooner.

That being said they should be pretty much done with 65+ First Dose by the end of March. That leaves K-12 and the 2 issues people (and of course the Cheaters). There really isn't much visibility there is into how many K-12 are left but Baker did say there was 400k possible but at the same time it's possible that some of them got the vaccine in one of the earlier phases.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:26 PM

10,020 posts, read 15,662,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
The local cvs I just called is doing 6 (!) shots every 15 minutes. That must be incredibly crowded. Can they fore you to stay inside the store if you want to wait outside?
They want you to stay inside for at least 10 - 15 minutes afterwards so they can monitor you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts