Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2021, 07:18 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
They want you to stay inside for at least 10 - 15 minutes afterwards so they can monitor you.
Right, it hasn't been frequent, but there have been *some* cases of anaphylaxis (basically a severe allergic reaction) - those normally become apparent soon - within ~ 15 minutes. You don't want to just run out, because if you are an unlucky person, that could be you, and if it is, you will need medical assistance, and the sooner the better. Vaccination sites are all set up to recognize these issues and intervene if needed. In the unlikely event this happens, you'll probably get jabbed with an "epi-pen" and receive some antihistamine as well.

Last edited by OutdoorLover; 03-16-2021 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 07:27 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
You’re confusing short term side effects with long term side effects. The short term safety data is irrefutable. We have zero long term safety data. The odds of something really nasty popping up are low but they aren’t zero. We’re old enough that it likely doesn’t matter.
This seems wildly speculative. Nothing about mRNA vaccines indicate risks like virus shedding caused by oral polio vaccines, or detrimental side effects caused by usage of pharmaceuticals (e.g., Fluoroquinolone).

The initial immune response (e.g., inflammatory response, autoimmune) is primary and, hopefully, only danger. If I'm 75+ I'm taking that limited risk. As a 36 year old my primary concern is the efficacy, i.e., whether the mRNA vaccine actually triggers an adequate immune response.

Last edited by Shrewsburried; 03-16-2021 at 07:37 PM..

Old 03-16-2021, 08:58 PM

943 posts, read 410,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Right, it hasn't been frequent, but there have been *some* cases of anaphylaxis (basically a severe allergic reaction) - those normally become apparent soon - within ~ 15 minutes. You don't want to just run out, because if you are an unlucky person, that could be you, and if it is, you will need medical assistance, and the sooner the better. Vaccination sites are all set up to recognize these issues and intervene if needed. In the unlikely event this happens, you'll probably get jabbed with an "epi-pen" and receive some antihistamine as well.
I know that - I have actually read one of the first articles on this by MGH doctors, but it would be even better to let people wait just outside the entrance. How well ventilated is a cvs? Plenty of states that have figured out drive through clinics with monitoring in parking lots (including in MA).

Old 03-17-2021, 05:02 AM

1,899 posts, read 1,403,596 times
Just go to a Mass Vax site (who have many more appointments available) or other location if you aren't comfortable at a CVS. From what I hear most of them have more than adequate spacing and ventilation. This is really much ado about nothing.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:00 AM

6,125 posts, read 5,097,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
Just go to a Mass Vax site (who have many more appointments available) or other location if you aren't comfortable at a CVS. From what I hear most of them have more than adequate spacing and ventilation. This is really much ado about nothing.
Amen. I honestly can't believe, considering the huge upside of receiving the vaccine for precisely the segment of the population who have been most cautious/conservative, that this is even an issue. Even if we had mobile vans going around administering shots to these folks in their driveways, they'd find a fault.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:56 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,779,566 times
March 22nd the vaccination limit changes to 60+ and the essiental services workers
April 5th it also includes 55+ and also anyone with one issue
April 19th is everybody

Old 03-17-2021, 08:00 AM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
March 22nd the vaccination limit changes to 60+ and the essiental services workers
April 5th it also includes 55+ and also anyone with one issue
April 19th is everybody
Nice! I am 62 and looking forward to it :-) Thanks for sharing...

Old 03-17-2021, 08:40 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
This seems wildly speculative. Nothing about mRNA vaccines indicate risks like virus shedding caused by oral polio vaccines, or detrimental side effects caused by usage of pharmaceuticals (e.g., Fluoroquinolone).

The initial immune response (e.g., inflammatory response, autoimmune) is primary and, hopefully, only danger. If I'm 75+ I'm taking that limited risk. As a 36 year old my primary concern is the efficacy, i.e., whether the mRNA vaccine actually triggers an adequate immune response.

Re-read what I wrote. We have zero long term safety data on any of the vaccines. I think the odds of any bad long term effects from these vaccines is low but it's not zero. I'm not speculating about anything. I'm merely remarking that you can't do risk assessment very well when there is no data. At age 62, the answer is obvious. My risk is vastly higher from COVID-19 than from the vaccine. If we start jabbing 6 year olds entering first grade, we really don't know what the long term risk might be.

That's not wildly speculative. It's acknowledging that we have insufficient data to assess the risk.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:09 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,138,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Re-read what I wrote. We have zero long term safety data on any of the vaccines. I think the odds of any bad long term effects from these vaccines is low but it's not zero. I'm not speculating about anything. I'm merely remarking that you can't do risk assessment very well when there is no data. At age 62, the answer is obvious. My risk is vastly higher from COVID-19 than from the vaccine. If we start jabbing 6 year olds entering first grade, we really don't know what the long term risk might be.

That's not wildly speculative. It's acknowledging that we have insufficient data to assess the risk.
It’s speculative in the sense that, in my opinion, you’re overstating the unknowns. Sure, the data is not ‘complete’, but short of a ‘black swan’ turn the current knowns suggest these vaccines are free of long term health impacts (aside from reduced efficacy and the associated exposure risk).

Mainly, I’m concerned people dumber than you will infer too much from your comments.

Old 03-17-2021, 09:10 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
Has there ever been found to be any long-term effects of ANY vaccine ever developed in prior history?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts